“Great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Claremont B&B and Inns
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I stayed one night and will definitely stay here again.

This is an old factory building turned hotel. Rooms have exposed brick and offer a homey feel overlooking the river. I stayed in the fall and it was so nice to open the window, hear the river, and see the beautiful trees.

There was a continental breakfast that's included which was average. All staff were friendly.

It's within walking distance of downtown area, and several restaurants.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Irondequoit, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stay here all the time on business (about 20 times in the past year), and am never disappointed. In fact, this is the only hotel I've ever stayed at that I brought my wife (and dog) along with me on a business trip.

This is a converted mill building, and the extremely friendly and helpful staff in a well laid out, comfortable lobby get you checked in quickly. Most rooms (soon to be all) are situated right off the lobby (or downstairs), and are spacious and comfortable. Business travelers will need to do a little rearranging to get it just right for them, and the chair at the desk is wooden, but overall workable, with a good internet connection.

Beds are huge and very comfortable with what I believe are down mattresses on the beds. And just like home, the guys will need to move many pillows to get to the sleeping pillows at night.

Most rooms face away from the street, and a fair number actually overlook the Sugar River and the falls - it doesn't hurt to ask for one of these when reserving. I have never had a room facing the street, so i don't know how the noise level is, but there is no problem any place else, except for the 300 rooms, which are over the restaurant. These rooms are going away soon, though, and the noise really isn't that bad and dies off around 10PM.

Pets are welcome, and a nice spread is put out for them, but you need to ask specifically for a pet room.

My wife enjoyed the hot tub last year, and there appears to be a modern fitness facility.

Breakfast is coffee, pastries, and fruit/yogurt.

The restaurant offers fast and good food service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
South Riding, Virginia
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I admit it, hotel loyalty programs work for me... And at first I was unsure about missing out on my Marriott Rewards points by reserving a room here. But it came highly recommended by the office and decided to follow their advice. I don't regret it a bit!

The inn is in an old New England factory that's been beautifully restored and it sits on the bank of a scenic river. It's charming in every way... From the small town, boutique b&b feel I got from the staff and ambiance, to the dog hanging out in the lobby -- itimmediately said 'welcome' and 'warm' to me.

The room was very spacious, and included a plush king bed, desk, sofa, and bathroom. Lookingout my plantation shutters, I had a great view of the water (literally I could stare at it all day!). There's a small workout room with a variety of machines. There's the Common Man Restaurant in the building next door. It's connected by a covered walkway, and you'll find a bar (watermelon cooler - yum!), and a full service restaurant there. In the AM they serve a nice continental breakfast (bread, muffins, cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc), but I never ate there for dinner. I did have appetizers at the bar and they were good, but not exceptional.

The room and everything was very clean. Hardwood floors and real brick walls, exposed wooden rafters, for new england-rustic goodness. I did not see a plaque for AAA rating, but I'd guess it would get a three diamond rating. Except for missing some requirements for the 4th diamond (such as curved shower curatin rods, orther similar things...) I think this place could easily fet that 4th diamond. The staff was friendly and helpful. The wireless internet connection was perfect, and much better than in most hotels I've experienced.

I'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Waterside veiw, definitely!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kevinchin5
central n.j.
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I can't add much more than what already has been said by others. I used to do a great deal of business travel and I can say that this Inn beats any Hilton or Marriott that I have ever stayed at. The rooms are great but it is the staff that makes it outstanding. We will try to plan future vacations so that we can stay here again

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I travel often for work and did not expect to find such a wonderful Inn in such a small town, but I did! The Common Man Inn was exceptional. The Inn and restaurant are located in adjacent renovated 19th century mill buildings, and they have preserved most of the wonderful architectural features of the original structures. There is nothing cookie cutter about this place. It is uniquely representative of its location. I had a beautiful room that overlooked the Sugar River falls - providing a lovely view and a relaxing sound. It almost felt as though the falls went directly beneath the room. The management is very attentive to issues of environmental preservation...even in the small details like the bathroom soap and the room layout. They pay attention to the simple details of making a traveler feel welcome too...free wireless access and a nice (and very clean) fitness room. Though we were there for business, my traveling companions and I all remarked on how incredibly comfortable the beds were! Sheer luxury.

And then, there is the staff. They were extremely kind, highly attentive and very friendly. They create a very welcoming atmosphere. Though named the Common Man, this Inn is uncommonly wonderful. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the falls.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Dedicatedhiker
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 23, 2011

A customer recommended this hotel to me because he stayed and thought it was really nice, I decided to book a room. Glad that I did! This place is fabulous and the service is top notch. Food was great. Can't say enough. I travel often for work and rate the Common Man among the best. This franchise will certainly grow.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank smkosik
New Hampshire
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We were up visiting family at the Claremont Common Man for Thanksgiving....the hours for the restaurant were different then usual because of the holiday but it wasn't a big deal...we just wanted to have drinks and appetizers so we went out. The rooms are fantastic. We had one with an up and downstairs right on the river. Very clean. The best part about the room was the bed. I have never slept so good in a hotel bed before. My husband said the same thing. It was the most comfortably soft bed I have ever slept on. That one nights sleep was worth paying for the room!!! Building is older so there are space heaters in the rooms..definitely used ours.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alyssacaggiano
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremont
Holiday Inn Express Springfield
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort
Hartness House
Hartness House
#1 of 2 in Springfield

Been to The Common Man Inn? Share your experiences!