“Excellent Hike!”
Review of Mount Chocorua

Mount Chocorua
Ranked #3 of 3 things to do in Chocorua
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I hiked to the peak of Mount Chocorua this fall with my children, ages 12 and 7. They both love hiking and were excited for it, so even though it was three hours up and two hours down, they had a blast! The trail was well marked and easy to follow, but it was definitely a workout! The views of the White Mountains from the top were absolutely stupendous, well worth the trip. We took the trail off of the The Kancamagus Highway.
We brought our bathing suits so we could splash around in Champney Falls on the way down. We even found a "natural water slide" down 10 feet of mossy rock landing in a small pool of water. The kids loved it!
You can get trail maps at the Ranger Station at the start of the Highway (off Rt.16 in Conway), or visit: http://www.mountainsummits.com/mountains/newhampshire/chocorua.htm for more info.

2  Thank Philip A
There are newer reviews for Mount Chocorua

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We took our two boys hiking on Mount Chocorua recently. We were joined by another family who had three sons. So between the two families, we had five boys from age 5 - 11. All the boys made it up to the top without much struggle. I was quite surprised at the rocky climb at the end...but well worth it to see the views at the top. The path to the top was clear and well marked. We stopped at a beautiful little waterfall. This hike is a challenge for the novice hiker. i had to keep asking my 6 year old to wait up for me!

2  Thank krisntrev
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Popular mountain, but worth the hike for views going up and at the top. Ample parking. We took the Champney Falls Trail up and back, using the Champney Falls Loop in the way down. The Loop was muddy from recent rains and lots of people tracking through. Good steep hike with nice views; well marked. Trail narrow in places, which was hard when we met large groups. Several trails come together at the boulder top, but there was plenty of space for everyone to sprawl out for lunch. I prefer to not share my hiking time with crowds, so we were on the path early, and met most people when we were heading back down. Spectacular views for fall color.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I've hiked Mt. Chocorua many times through the years as a kid and later as an adult. It's a great hike for all ages, but it is a good amount of work. The trail is very rocky for much of the hike and it is a lot like climbing stairs the entire way up. There is some amount of shimmying up and down large sections of rock, requiring balance and good footing, but nothing that requires any skill. The top is rocky and provides awesome views. On sunny days you can sit up there, but it can get very windy, sometimes so windy you won't want to venture beyond the tree line.

I wouldn't recommend this for children under 6 or so, unless they are well established hikers already. For adults, I'd say this will be fine for anyone in reasonable shape, and a good challenge for someone who is trying to get into better shape. For those in great shape its probably no sweat. We saw some teenage boys running up it!

2  Thank karenutt
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I took my fiance up Chocorua as i heard from a friend it was an "easy" hike. my friend and I had been hiking our entire lives so this hike was not bad at all. My fiance on the other hand had never been once. for her, this was a bit much. the long round trip combined with the steep rise near the summit were a bit much for her. I thought the trail was very nice. a moderate start that opens up near the top for beautiful views. My only word of caution is that if this is your first hike, start off with something a little shorter in distance.

3  Thank MG-Sturgeon