“Unexpected - very educational.” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Fort at #4
North Manchester, Indiana
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Unexpected - very educational.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Traveling through Vermont my son begged to go to NH, just to say we'd been there. 2 miles inside the state line we stumbled on The Fort at #4. We've visited many forts but this was my 10 year old favorite. I think b/c it was so easy to picture what their life was like and how they had to live to protect themselves/each other. I loved that my 5th grader really "got it". Textbooks just don't have this kind of impact. There was a wonderful gentleman in Indian costume that spoke to us at length and was very knowledgable - the kids loved him. Doesn't take long...maybe 2 hours, but if you're in the neighborhood and you like history this is a great stop. Our kids are 11 &10 and they really enjoyed it.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bouffie

Plano, Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Worth it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

IF YOU ARE ALREADY IN THE AREA, it is a great detour to check out Fort # 4. It's an easy stop via Charleston and its well worth the cost. It's educational, convenient and a very cool glimpse into 18th century New England life. At one point it was the edge of the frontier and looking across the CT river you can envision how close it was must have felt to the end of the known (or at least safe) world.

Definitely suggest going. Plan in spending about an hour there!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Geoff B
Manassas, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No tour guide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The history of this fort is very interesting but since it had been raining the day we went none of the tour guides wanted to come to work! So the lady at the counter gave us a quick overview but we had to tour the fort on our own with no one telling us what we were looking at. So, do go, but not on a raing day!

Arlington, Massachusetts
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Poorly presented”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've a huge history buff, a historian, and a history teacher, so I've been to MANY historic sites. The fort is a very nice reconstruction but is very poorly presented. The only information that I received was a simple paper pamphlet which tells nothing about the history of the fort or the area and only gives very basic descriptions of each part of the fort. The signs outside of each of the areas of the fort give rudimentary information and were clearly typed on a computer, printed, and inserted into plastic sleeves. There was little to no information inside any of the buildings or rooms. Furthermore, only one historical interpreter was working at the fort (on a Friday in the summer), yet they call it a living history museum. The museum needs a real curator who can present the information in a more engaging and informing way. I spent less than 15 minutes at the fort and paid $7 to get in. Very disappointing indeed.

Visited July 2013
Manchester, New Hampshire
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Wow, right in NH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have lived in NH my entire life, and had no idea such a historic place was in my own backyard! Today there was a French and Indian War reenactment that was just outstanding! The Fort itself was so interesting. Period furniture and household set ups that showed how the people of that time lived. A cannon in the bedroom? Why not. I would highly recommend a day at this fort, especially for families with kids, it's very hands on. I'll be going back in August for the Revolutionary War reenactment!

Visited June 2013