“Excellent Historical Tour”

67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Excellent Historical Tour”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This restored fort on the original frontier gives a great deal of information that young and old will enjoy. This museum has struggled financially, please support thier great work.

1 Thank CLLJJR

Chester, Vermont, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“HISTORY CAME ALIVE”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We went to a reenactment of a battle of the French and Indian War....it was just fantastic. Each side was camped out in full regalia. The battle was incredible and I finally understood the technique used by the British for so many years. Even if you don't go for a reenactment, the fort is a great place to visit...the town is great too. In the fort bookstore there is a good selection of material for the history buff or the educator.

2 Thank Penellope C
Tallahassee, Florida
169 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Making a Comeback?”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

As we were already traveling south on I91 we thought this might make a nice break in the drive. We pulled into an empty parking lot and debated going in. Inside there were two people, one adult in colonial garb and one teen not. We got a brief intro to the fort. It is a recreation of something that really did exist (down the river some). We paid $10 each (cough) got map and info sheet and entered.

If I had not been told that this was not the real thing I am not sure I would have ever known. They did a very nice job building something that looks very realistic. Each building has a nice story to go with it. It takes about 30-45 minutes to stroll through it all.

When we returned to the gift shop I learned that the facility is actually trying to make a comeback. I was also told that normally there would be some re-enactors present in the different buildings. They were in the middle of training a new group. Once in place that should really change the mood of the place.

As we left we did pass three other visitors coming in. So, hopefully the second time around will be successful for The Fort. It really does present a different perspective on colonial life.

Visited July 2011