“Great Experience!!!”
Review of Lavinia's

Lavinia's
Reserve with OpenTable
Lavinia's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Windham, New Hampshire
“Great Experience!!!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

First visit as Lavinia's and enjoyed the new menu and image. Previously, we liked the Coe House in which they brought some of the menu items forward (Brick Pressed Chicken, etc) but the new menu has a nice variety to more casual sandwiches, burgers, etc yet still has nice steaks, seafood, etc. We had the duck spring rolls which were great and a summer salad which fresh local blueberries - though it could have used some goat cheese or some type of kicker. Dinner we split Egg Plant Napoleon (delicious and crispy) and the Seafood Stew special which was loaded with Lobster and very tasty. Good draft beers on tap including Monsta IPA (though they were out :-(.....Also several Gluten Free items on the menu too. We'll be back!!!!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank bigwindham

New York
“excellent food and service”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The food was delicious. We had the calamari for an appetizer -enough for two people to share. It was very tasty though a bit on the greasy side. I had eggplant napoleon (stacked eggplant layers with ricotta cheese) with just enough mozzarella on top. It was excellent. My friend had a salad with lobster added on and it was very good. The waitress respected our wishes to take our time over a leisurely meal even though it was a Saturday night. The one thing I would like is to see more selections in the moderate price range. Many of the entrees were very expensive-for example they had a lobster special that night for $34. I would definitely return to try more of the menu.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Ilana11
LHemy
“We will go back, will give them another shot”
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

We like the place, the service was good and food was ok. It is not cheap, just be prepared for that. Nice selections and interesting combinations that are creative. My daughter and husband had burgers that were over cooked, and we were not charged. My Kobe beef meatloaf was good and I just adored the mashed potatoes with them. Desserts had mixed reviews. But, we'll go back. We have had some restaurants in the area disappoint us lately, and this is worth giving another try. Loved the decor abd atmosphere.

Leverett, MA
“Good food, varied atmosphere depending on the room, bar, pleasant.”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Four of us decided to try this place, which appears to be under relatively new management. We were not unhappy. The restaurant has limited outside seating, with a number of separate rooms on two floors inside that old house that has been made modern. Each of the two floors has a separate bar (pub) area and one can eat there as well as in the more typical restaurant area. The nemu is substantial with good variety and certainly something for everyone. The menue includes things as simple as burgers, but also things as substantial as filet mignon. The wine list is reasonable. Overall the prices are about mid-range for restaurants. The wine list has a number of wines in every price range. The one we selected happened to be out (about $32) but the substitute was reasonable at $35. [Subsequently we found the same wine in a wine store for $14.99, in Massachusetts.]

Two of us had a salmon special, which consisted of a good-sized pience of salmon filet, atop mahed potatoes with thin slicked vegetables on the side of the plate. The vegetables were lightly done as they should be. The salmon was baked (or broiled) to perfection. Now different folks like salmon done to different degreesa and I would say about mid-range is were I like it and the salmon was at about that level of doneness. The other salmon was a bit more fully cooked so the restaurant is a bit variable on the cooking. Another in the party had the lobster pot pie. This was loaded with lobster and had a very delicious broth. It had more potatoes and carrots than the person who ordered it would have liked, but she was very satisfied with the choice. Antoher in the party ordered the swordfish. This came with a rather dark sauce wiith carnelized onions and was judged to be a bit heavy for the swordfish. So, this choice was not fully successful. The house salad was very good, fresh, crisp and pleasant.

The rooms in the restaruant range in ambience from rather fresh and modern looking (yet still traditional) upstairs (where we sat) to one on the first floor with rather heavy drapes and a feel that was rather heavy for our taste. Our server was young, but had a very fine manner and with a bit more experience will be quite exceptional. We were very pleased with her approach and she made the whole experience even more enjooyable. Ask for a server named Haley and see for yourself.

All in all a nice place that we would all return to again with no hesitation.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank BobHLeverett
Ashland, New Hampshire
“peaceful dining @ beautiful historic home”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We've been hearing good things about Lavinia's (the former Coe House) and decided as we live nearby to give it a try for my boyfriend's birthday tonight.
We loved that they have retained the ambiance of the former CH. I liked the unpretentious menu with a variety of items for all tastes and budgets (entrees range from $10-30).
They even have a gluten free menu available too. I also noticed the folks at the next table had some special requests and the staff was more than willing to accommodate their needs and tastes.
We ordered a house salad ($7) which was served with 2 goat cheese fritters. I was surprised at the large portion of the salad but was disappointed that locally sourced greens and vegetables were not being utilized. I also would have preferred less greens and 2 more of the fritters as they were quite small in size. The dill vinaigrette was very nice.
When the bread arrived it was warm. I would have liked to have known something had been added to the butter before slathering it on my bread. It tasted very strange and was sweet tasting and not to to my liking.
The BF had the fish fry ($10) which was nicely presented. There was a good portion of haddock and hand cut fries. I had the fish tacos ($18) which were nice. I did not like the re-fried black beans, they were dried out. The salsa and guacamole were not too impressive either.
For dessert we shared an order of fried cheese cake ($6). It was four cheese cake balls served with a raspberry sauce. Very tasty.
We went away happy and will definitely return to explore the menu some more as they have a lot to offer in all price ranges.
They have pub dining and out door dining too.
Not a place for small children if they are the type to become restless, want to run about, and disrupt other diners.
Dress is casual to dressy.
We did not make a reservation as it was Sunday evening. We did not have to wait at all. However, I would recommend calling ahead during busier times.

• Visited July 2012