“Children's Trick or Treat: it varies year to year”
Review of Charmingfare Farm

Charmingfare Farm
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Candia
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I wonder what it will be like this year? I have attended this event for the past five years and have noticed it changes. Our experience has varied from absolutely wonderful to very aggravating. Mostly, I really miss the magic show on the stage. Also, I would like to see the trick-or-treating/candy go back to being available from a costumed character at every animal enclosure. (The past couple years it ends near the wagon ride entrance.) A couple years ago the wait for the wagon ride was 45 minutes which was horrible, with no employees to inform the customers of the wait or entertain the grumpy waiting families who had a reservation (why?) But last year, the wait problem seems to have been addressed and we had fun, so we are trying again. One of the changes that confused people was that to get to the tractor ride, you must take the wagon ride to the tractor ride then you can go in a nice surprise, the hay maze in the barn and the corn maze. Each attraction was linked to the last. There is also a separate pirate ship playground that little kids love, plus a bounce house. We always grab a bite at their outdoor grill. Overall, I have fond memories of bringing my child to the farm, which is a beautiful landscape in the fall and a lovely background for awesome photos of cute kids in costume. Just hope they didn't scale back again this year.

1  Thank NorthByNorthwestNh

Reviewed September 26, 2011

We enjoyed the day yesterday at Charmingfare farm for the pumpkin festival. The kids had a great time on the tractor ride, the pony ride, and with all of the animals. This is a farm with a lot of animals, so it will not be pristinely clean. You should expect that. I think it is very well kept. When I arrived in the a.m. they were actually raking the dirt path way......I think the regular price is a little high, there should be a children's rate. But they often offer 1/2 off deals which I find to be very fairly priced.

1  Thank triptaker46052
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Good experience but expensive for a family of four.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

If I could give it a negative star, I would. I am very tempted to call someone and get this place shut down. We arrived to find a dead goat in the barn, a goose with a severely broken wing skinny wild animals in extremely small cages -not to mention filthy. The animals were obviously suffering in many ways. The cows and horses were roaming all around the CSA veggie's -yuck!. Then we did the pony ride - the saddle was falling off sideways and the person didn't care. I had to tell her to fix and she looked annoyed.

Lastly, we made the mistake of going inside the petting area - SCARY! All the goats jumped on my kids and almost pushed them down they were so hungry. My daughter was covered in poop from head to toe. Just gross.

;I hope this place goes out of business and the animals are set free.
Too sad.

5  Thank kittymom2011
Charmingfare, Owner at Charmingfare Farm, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2011

I feel really bad you had to see one of goats who pasted away. We do make every effort to shield the public from this fact of life. I realized no one including my staff or myself wants to experience the death of animal.

The Canadian goose does not belong to the farm... it is wild. He has a condition called "Angel Wing", also known as slipped wing, crooked or drooped wing. A condition seen happening with ducks and geese where the last joint of the wing is twisted and the wing feathers point out, and do not lay smooth against the body. He is unable to fly and has remained here at the farm and eats with our 4 domestic geese and enjoys the ice free pond all winter long. He does have a great life consider his condition.

I know you had concerns with regards to our CSA gardens and the animals. All of our gardens have fencing that prevents the horses and cattle from entering. If they could gain access, I can assure there would be no vegetables left for our CSA members.

To reassure you, Charmingfare Farm is licensed by the state and federal government. The law mandates we are to be inspected several times throughout the year by their officials. Our inspection reports have demonstrated that we have always excelled in our animal care, I am more than willing address any additional concerns or questions you may have about the animals.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

It saddens me to read all of the negative reviews of Charmingfare Farm on this site. I have not experienced any of the refund issues. My 7 year old daughter has been attending day camp this summer and loves it. It is a good experience for her, she participates in all activities at the farm, feeds animals, learns, she even witnessed the birth of several goats and talked about it endlessly. She is learning how to ride a horse. Yes, there are port-a-potties, and they do charge $17 per person to get in. But, they are also a focal point for the community with a farmer's market, and they are very good with the kids at camp. I cannot comment on the condition of some of the wild animals (mountain lion, bear, wolves) kept here, as other reviewers have. They do appear to be suffering from the general economic decline in the country, and I am sure that they would like to invest more, but are strapped. I am just happy that Charmingfare Farm is around for my daughter to learn and enjoy.

1  Thank NHMom68