“Nice Little Farm”
Review of Charmingfare Farm

Charmingfare Farm
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Candia
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We visited Charmingfare Farm with our 7-year-old daughter and her grandparents on a Saturday in August. It was not crowded at all, but it may have been because it was a hot and humid day. Since it was a weekend, the rides were included in the $17 per person admission. Our daughter was able to ride everything without a wait- the pony, the tractor- pulled ride, and the horse-drawn wagon. For only $3 you can buy a big bag of food to feed the animals- much better value than those feed machines that take quarters you see at most places.

It's pretty much divided into two parts. There is a section with farm animals such as goats, sheep and chicken that can be fed. They were a lot of fun and we got to see some tiny baby goats in the Oakhurst barn. One mistake I made was going into the goat area when they were hungry instead of feeding them through the fence. As a result, I got muddy hoof prints on my clothes. My daughter was spared because she didn't have the feed bag! The second part is more of a zoo area with wild animals, many of which are native to the area such as coyotes, foxes, and a wolf. There are also some animals there which you can feed such as reindeer.

There are a lot of places in which to have a picnic, so we brought our lunch. The tables were shaded with a canopy which was nice. We were bothered by flies during our lunch, probably because we were right near the sheep barn, but there were other picnic areas away from the animals.

Lastly, I have to mention the sanitary facilities, which is why I only gave it four stars. Since it lacks indoor plumbing, they have porta-potties. Porta-potties are never ideal, but honestly, these were pretty bad. They obviously were in need of servicing or changing. They did, however, have a real sink outdoors for washing hands, which was much better and stocked with soap and paper towels.

1  Thank pumpknmom

Reviewed August 7, 2011

The staff was friendly, The animals were so well taken care of and the exhibits were clean. Very relaxing and enjoyable day.We will be returning again and again

1  Thank janice3533
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We took my 7 year old son to Charmingfare (2nd visit) and paid for the "unlimited rides" option. Two seniors, two adults (my 7 yr old was an adult for the day - arrgh!!)... $51 just to get in! So it was my bad for not asking first - the unlimited rides included a pony ride for him (not such a big deal since he has his own horse at home, but he still enjoyed it) and a tractor-drawn wagon ride for all of us. Since the rides had specific times (and not running all the time), there was a limit to how much we could use our "unlimited" ride admission fee.

But, the petting zoo was nice (except for what looked like stinging nettle growing in the rocks!!) and the animals looked well cared-for. We didn't end up spending much time there - the animal show times conflicted with the "unlimited" ride times and there simply isn't a whole lot to see/do.

We won't return anytime soon. The animal enclosures were tidy and the petting zoo was OK, but overall, I feel like we paid at least twice what we should have.

3  Thank 27polecats
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This farm is very clean. You can tell the animals are well respected and cared for. My 10 year old son and I went on the horseback riding trail and had a great time. He had never been on a horse before, but with the guides' clear instructions and the gentle manner of the horses, he felt very comfortable and totally enjoyed ride. We even got to see a deer and some wild turkeys along the trail. My son already asking to back again!

1  Thank sjjohnston
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Other reviews were not favorable so I went there with low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. If your family likes hayrides, tractor rides and pony rides and a farm like atmosphere I feel you will have a good time. Bonus fun included a tug of war with the oxen, bouncy house and games (special days only for the bouncy house and games so call ahead). We saw several wild animals as well on the nature walk. Make sure you bring your own food for it lacked food services. Bathrooms were porter potty style.

1  Thank TracyPaz