“Arrived on a high, left on a low....”

A Newfound Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 Bristol B&B and Inns
Wales, UK
“Arrived on a high, left on a low....”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

There is no doubt that this B&B has some spectacular views & scenery. Wonderful accommodation & beautifully decorated throughout. I had planned a surprise getaway for my husband following his recent hectic work schedule & recent family bereavement. A husky dog sled ride was my piece de resistance for my hubby, something he had always wanted to do.
We were grateful for Sondra allowing us to check in early on the Saturday morning, she had helped arrange a massage for my hubby for the early afternoon & allowed us to check in earlier, there were high winds so my plans for a hike had to be cancelled for that morning.
As we were leaving for the massage appointment, we had a printed bill slid across the top of the breakfast bar in the kitchen & something mentioned about how we can settle up after breakfast tomorrow. I felt a little awkward as wasn't sure if we were to settle up then and there, my hubby looked a little taken aback with this approach but I brushed it off saying perhaps we were supposed to settle on arrival.....

On the morning of the sled ride I was feeling pretty smug having kept this piece de resistance a complete surprise for the last 4 days. The plan being to arrive at our location and then my hubby seeing the dogs & sled - surprise i could finally say!!! So imagine my horror when as we arrived for breakfast and a couple of skier's finishing their breakfast who clearly did not want to engage in conversation were told that WE were off dog sledding today! I had previosuly discussed on the phone my surprise plans with Sondra & joked how I had been able to lead my hubby along the thought lines of snowmobiling......I was pretty upset that a little more tact hadn't been taken......perhaps if we were asked what our plans were for the day I could reiterate again - I had a surprise planned!

Checking out left us feeling awkward & uncomfortable......we had popped out after breakfast to take more photos of the lake. Sondra was busy in the kitchen preparing breakfast for other guests so thought it best to settle up as we were leaving. I had just literally stepped back in through the door when I was asked - do you have your card so I can run it through the machine.....I literally had just stepped in through the door! My husband, who is pretty laid back, just stared at me in disbelief! I was taken aback & felt very uncomfortable. Was it thought that we were just going to leave without paying or something? I felt like I was being chased for the money! I ran to the room, grabbed my card, eager to pay the bill. When asked if there was any formal process of checking out / settling up, I received a reply of no, not really I just do it as and when, why do you have a suggestion? Previous establishments have us settle up as we check out - the reply- well i want to get to the market! Perhaps if this had been articulated a little better and the approach for us to settle up a little more professional, we as guests wouldn't have left feeling so awkward & uncomfortable.

We have stayed in many #1 trip advisor rated accommodations & frequently return to many of them however we have never been made to feel so uncomfortable about settling up our bill. On leaving (an hour before the check out time) there was no host to see us off! No one to ensure our stay had been comfortable, no one around! Great accommodation, great location, stunning views but I'm afraid after this experience, we wouldn't return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shelli214
ANewfoundBNB, Owner at A Newfound Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
March 3rd I replied with an email; Thank you for staying at A Newfound Bed & Breakfast, I enjoyed having you. I read your TripAdvisor review and appreciate your honesty. I am very sorry for the misunderstandings. I knew the weekend was a well deserved surprise for Michael but somewhere in translation I did not pick up on your full plan of surprise for the dog sledding. I am very glad to have read that the weekend went well but not as smooth as you anticipated.

Confirmed by other guests, A Newfound Bed & Breakfast goes to great lengths to do all we can to make the most of every guests visit. With this guest I successfully advised with lunch and dinner along with a satisfying massage in between meals. We have a diverse group of guests, the couple that was referred to in a negative manor were simply reserved and quite. I have great respect and enjoy all my guests diverse personalities. I strive to give them all the best experience possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I just spent the weekend at A Newfound B&B with my husband; we decided last minute to get out of Boston and see the snow in nature. Sondra (the owner) currently has a deal with which you pay half price if you book less than 24 hours in advance and so this attracted us. The drive from Boston was very easy- straight up 93 for 2 hours. The B&B is at the top of a hill, which was a little bit difficult for our car to summit in the snow (would bring your four wheel drive if you go in the icey winter) but Sondra was immediately sensitive to this- sanding the driveway several times during our stay and even offering us her truck to use! The B&B itself is beautiful-- it has a gorgeous lodge like common space with books and games and a fire. We stayed in the Newfound room which has a hot tub and a beautiful view over the lake. Sondra was a fantastic hostess. Although she wasn't cooking breakfast because we were her only guests for the weekend, she bought us eggs and sausage to cook in the morning. We had free reign of her kitchen (complete with coffee, tea and hot chocolate station) and great outside grill to cook our own meals, plus she provided great restaurant recommendations. She even cooked us cookies one afternoon. She loaned us her snowshoes and we went down the nearby national park to snowshoe and check out the ice fishing. All and all it was a perfect, relaxing winter weekend. We are excited to go back in other seasons- the B&B is so close to the lake and park, and, being on a hill, has such a great view of the valley, that we think it would be interesting to visit all year long. Highly recommend for a romantic weekend with a partner, or for an active weekend with a group of friends.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mattandalice
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 12, 2011

If N. H. is your destiny, then you must stay at A Newfound Bed and Breakfast! Sondra is "the hostess with the 'mostest' without a doubt. She worked around my husband's running schedule, sending him off with the proper snacks, then preparing a hearty breakfast on his return. Her area recommendations were spot on, and her home that she shares with travelers has to be seen to be believed. We have stayed in B & Bs all over the country - and this is one we will definitely come back and stay in again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Norwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 29, 2010

My wife and I went to this wonderful b&b to start our honeymoon. Sondra was wonderful, we just got a camera for our wedding, and didn't realize we didn't have a memory chip and Sondra gave us one of hers. It was such a big help!! The view was outstanding, from our room, from the deck, to the outside fire pit (which is great at sunset). Now for the best part the food!!! For breakfast we had eggs benedict (with eggs from her own chickens) with cranberry mango chutney, with sweet potato home fries. Wish we had more time to stay, we would without a doubt recommend this to anyone. Thanks again Sondra

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
cambridge, ma
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I chose to come here based on the recommendation of a friend. After reading the reviews which were uniformly positive, I booked a night's stay as part of a bday celebration. Sondra has the place decorated very nicely with impeccable attention to details. She is a very gracious and her warmth is infused throughout the B&B.

We enjoyed the view of the lake which is pretty incredible from the hot tub, dining room, living area, and our very comfortable bed. The fireplace and exposed brick walls made for a very romantic setting. The breakfast which included a frittata with aspargus, chicken apple sausage, fresh strawberries, toast with 12 different varieties of butters and jams was excellent.

Though some part of me would rather keep this a hidden gem, I do think that this a getaway that is good for the soul. I would recommend this place without any hesitation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Framingham, MA USA
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Luck was on our side this past October when we decided to plot a quick getaway to New Hampshire for a little R&R. After much surfing around the web, we happened on A Newfound B&B in Bristol. From the moment we arrived for our 3 night stay, we knew we had made the right decision. The inn was absolutely lovely and the view of Newfound Lake and the surrounding mountains was truly breathtaking. Our host and owner of the B&B, Sondra Keene, was just delightful and made us feel instantly at home. Each morning she prepared for us a wonderful breakfast fit for royalty. The wood burning stove in the kitchen added a real country feel to the place. Each morning I enjoyed a mug of hot coffee lounging in the inn's cozy living room by the fireplace while looking out over the spectacular view. Our room was perfect and most comfortable. The highlight of my wife's stay was the soul-soothing massage that Sondra was so kind to set up. Though we did go off and explore the area, I think we both would have been content to have spent the entire time just relaxing at the inn. Just a wonderful place with a wonderful host.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed here one night on our New England vacation. We wished we could have stayed longer. The B&B is so relaxing and has such a beautiful view. The owner is very nice and accomodating. The breakfast was delicious - berry bread pudding and a special eggs benedict with eggs from her chickens and berries from her garden. I would definitely recommed this B&B.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
The Lake House at Ferry Point
Coppertoppe Inn & Retreat Center
Glynn House Inn
Glynn House Inn
#1 of 2 in Ashland

Been to A Newfound Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!