“Beautiful old hotel, excellent service and food”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
South Portland, Maine
“Beautiful old hotel, excellent service and food”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed at this beautiful old hotel for our wedding anniversary. The front desk was kind enough to upgrade us to one of the Presidential Suites at no extra cost. The suite was beautiful: we had our own stairs to the 4th floor and the rooms offered 360 degrees of views. We purchased the Spring Fling package, which included a four-course dinner every night in their main dining room. I *HIGHLY* recommend purchasing a package deal with food because the food was OUTSTANDING and the portions were generous. We were so full from the first three courses that we had to take our desserts back up to our room! The service at this hotel was very attentive without being obnoxious, and the Activities Director even sent us a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolate truffles. The hotel has verandas on almost every side, and the views really can't be beat. There is plenty of comfortable seating on the verandas and you can enjoy a nice glass of wine with your book. I didn't get the chance to use the spa nor the indoor and outdoor pools, but they were beautiful too. We did play golf on the non-affiliated 18 hole course on the hotel grounds. We loved it, although the flies were relentless!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your anniversary at The Omni Mount Washington. We are delighted to hear that our associates went the extra mile to make sure you had an extra special visit and we really appreciate you sharing the wonderful details of your stay on TripAdvisor. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My husband and I came here and what a wonderful time we had. The staff is very gracious and knowledgeable. We enjoyed how beautiful and peaceful this place is. The room we stayed in was gorgeous and very spacious. We took a ride on the original elevator and enjoyed all the history of this place. My husband really got a kick out of The Cave and how they used to hide liquor during prohibition. The resort is so mysterious from a distance and so grand.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pinkgirl1977
We appreciate your compliments of The Omni Mount Washington Resort. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will return again soon!
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I've always wanted to stay at the Mt. Washington Hotel. This year, I needed some time away in May, so, to celebrate our birthdays and our 5th anniversary, we decided to head far enough away from home to release the stress, but close enough that it could be driven to by car. The White Mountains in New Hampshire and the Mt. Washington Hotel in particular, were at the top of the list. I remembered driving by this beautiful, sprawling white hotel back in 1994 on my way back from Boston. I didn’t know the name of the hotel, but, it's such an original place, it wasn't long before I found it on the Internet. A beautiful, graceful grande dame of the grand hotels era, the Mt. Washington is a true destination hotel for those who love grand old hotels with style and elegance. Yes, she is in the midst of revitalizing, but this gentlewoman has good bones. I especially loved sitting on the 800' wrap-around wooden veranda in the evenings, sipping a cocktail and watching the Mt. Washington change colours to the east as the sun set in the west. It was like living in history.
To get the Omni Hotel chain’s "extras", like coffee, juice and a newspaper in the morning, and free Wi-Fi in the room, I signed up to their "select guest" program before I registered. We were travelling in the shoulder season, so the rate was low, and Omni also offers discounts for travellers 55+. Rooms with views of the mountain are no extra charge, but are assigned on a first-ask, first-come basis. Small bar fridges are available on a first-served basis for the rooms that don’t have them. We had a gorgeous view of the mountains from all of our windows. Our room was not “recently renovated”, as they say on the website, but it was tastefully decorated, clean, and had beautiful marble in the bathroom. Clean, soft, white, crisp towel service. Comfortable bed. Quality toiletries. Fluffy duvet you could lost in and pillows galore.
Omni’s 1-800 and chat lines were not aware that the zip line canopy tour, advertised on their website, is open all-year. All zip lines open all year. It’s awesome. Discounts on the tour are available to resort guests who pay the resort fee.
The pool was wonderfully warm and we had fabulous weather to enjoy it.
There are lots of long walks to enjoy in the National Forest which borders the resort’s properties. Short 3-mile walks, on easy terrain and long hilly 7-mile hikes up inclines, there’s something for all types of hikers. We took the 3-mile walk along the river and back through the golf course. Lovely time.
The $20 resort fee is charged per room, per night and includes valet parking and access to all resort amenities. See their website for more information on the resort fee. It’s well worth it and gets you access to much more.
The hotel’s shuttle service will take you anywhere within the resort, including the ski hill for the zip line tour.
The staff are so friendly and full of smiles, it’s like you’re staying with friends the whole time you are there. Even the trades people working on the renovations have a smile for you when you pass them in the halls or ride with them in the elevator.
The only downside of this hotel is that, due to renovations, there was only one restaurant to dine at on site. There are other places to eat nearby, and even a little farther in Twin Mountain and Bethlehem. The evening dining room meals are very reasonably priced. The food is of fine quality and table service is excellent calibre. Room service is very reasonable.
I was looking for some quiet, stress-free, R&R, and Mt. Washington Hotel provided it, just as I like it. This hotel takes the time to make your stay an enjoyable experience. It’s important to them, and it shows. The whole time we were there we said we would go back, and we will. They are set to cater to romance, relaxation, and families. This place has it all.
We’ve already recommended it to friends who will consider it seriously for one of their next vacations.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure for us to read your review of The Omni Mount Washington and we are thrilled to hear the ways you were able to enjoy our resort. Thank you for choosing our resort as your escape from the stress of everyday living and even bigger thanks for taking the time to share your recommendation with friends and on TripAdvisor. Our renovations are winding down and we are certain that when you return you will find the same great service with even better accommodations at The Omni Mount Washington!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a 3 day anniversary stay at the Omni Mt Washington Hotel and thouroughly enjoyed our time. The view driving into the resort is stunning and when we entered our room and looked out we had a direct view of Mt Washington on a clear day. Although our room was small, it was very clean and had a most comfortable bed. The hotel is still doing some renovations in the area where we were staying and the smell of paint was in the air as you walked the hallway but you couldn't smell it in the room.
The outdoor pool was very warm and had a perfect view of Mt Washington. My wife enjoyed the incredible wrap around decks at the hotel with the comfortable lounge chairs-- a perfect place to read.
Service at the hotel was excellent and the staff at the golf course was very friendly. I was able to golf at both courses and although it is early in the season the courses were in good shape with many workers out on the course taking care of the minor winter damage..
Overall we had a wonderful stay and a very nice anniversary

1 Thank dmc01756
We appreciate you choosing to celebrate your anniversary at The Omni Mount Washington and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we hope you will stay with us again soon!
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We stayed in the Mount Washington Hotel for two nights in May. It was a great stay - the hotel itself is absolutely amazing and we recommend doing the tour of the hotel. I could have spent the entire day just looking around the hotel! The room itself was a bit disappointing - very ordinary and looked worn. It didn't matter that much as we spent most of the time looking out of our window at the mountain. Be forewarned though that the walls are paper thin. Our neighbor fell asleep to the TV on and I was up until 2am because it was so loud. Also, I really wish the hotel would do something about the behaviour of the kids. I tried to use the computer downstairs to check on our flights, but there was a child on it playing video games for hours. We also found that kids were just running around the halls.

1 Thank Where_II
We appreciate your feedback from your stay at The Omni Mount Washington Resort. We are excited that we are winding down renovations to the guest rooms so if you return we think you will find that the updated rooms reflect a more luxurious feel. We apologize that part of your stay was disrupted by some of our younger guests. While we are a family friendly destination we try to do so while maintaining an ambiance conducive to a relaxing adult getaway as well. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope you will return soon.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Me and my boyfriend are just back from a 3 nights stay at the Mount Washington Resort. We went a couple years ago with our families and had a really nice stay. This is exactly why we decided to book again at this hotel when we wanted a nice, relaxing and romantic getaway. We booked more than 21 days in advance (which I really recommend) and because of that, had a really good price for the whole stay. There is plenty of options you can add to your stay (meal plans, bigger rooms, spa, gold packages,...). We were really excited about our little trip in the mountains. Unfortunately, while we were on our way to the hotel (we are about 4 1/2 hours from Mt. Washington), we received a call from them. There was some water breakdown and the water was not drinkable. Because of that, the state forbad the Hotel from receiving guests. The staff had no idea when the breakdown would be controlled but were optimists that i could be resolved within 24 hours. As we were already on our way, we decided to stop in Burlington, VT. We slept there one night, and were hoping (and quite nervous) that we would be able to sleep at the Hotel the next day. Happily, at 12.30 pm the next day, we got a confirmation of the reopening of the Hotel. We had to wait in Burlington until that time though. During the whole event, I was in touch with one amazing manager, Robin Selensky. She was extremely nice and accommodating. Though the meeting about the reopening was postponed and we had to wait for some hours with no news, the whole thing was not so bad. They did the best to accommodate us and, after all, we had a wonderful stay. The staff is wonderful and very helpful.
Now, I would like to talk a little more about the hotel in itself.
The rooms : There are several different rooms you can get during your stay. As for myself, I experimented 2 : Premier room and Luxury Deluxe Suite. There is also Deluxe room, Corner Vista, Family Suite and Tower Suite. The Premier room (first stay) was magnificent. Newly renovated, the decoration is trendy but classic. The room is comfy and traditional. We had 2 queen beds and a lot of place. Wonderful view on Mt. Washington. The Suite was bigger than what you could imagine. Specially decorated, the global view was wonderful. Gas fireplace that works really well, nice jacuzzi tub, a large walk-in, a small kitchen area and a big king bed.
I'm not sure if all the rooms have now been renovated. Maybe it's a work in progress, but the final result is or will be, for sure, magnificent.
Food: At first, I was a little bit worried with food. We did not take any meal plan, for many reasons. We did not know when we would arrive the first day, we had plan some activities, and I don't have a big appetite so I can sometimes be a waste of money. On the resort, there is many options to eat. There is, of course, the main Dining room (which requires jacket and tie for men). There is also the Rosebrook Bar, which serves "light fare", including salads, sandwiches, soups, appetizers. For me, it was usually way enough for a dinner. There is also a Sweet Shop, on the lower level, that sells goodies, bagels, muffins, desserts, juices, coffee, snacks,... We also tried the Afternoon Tea, in the Princess Lounge. We were alone, in that beautiful room, with a very good service. They serve the tea with small sandwiches, scones and bakeries. Good choice of teas also. We really enjoyed the experience.
Service: Throughout our whole stay, the service was above excellent. Nice, helpful and friendly just-what-it-takes staff, that was always there for us. You can really feel that the staff wants you to have a great stay. Maybe it's because we are in the low-season and they have less guests... But my first stay was in the middle of the summer and I don't remember having any problem with unpleasant staff members.
Overall impression: To this day, I never found an Hotel with a view like this one. We were lucky this time, we got to see the mountain on the first day. In may, there is still a huge snow cap that covers half of the Mountain. I think may-june is a really good time to go at Mt.Washington resort. You have good prices, the hotel is quiet and you don't wait to eat in the dining room (i waited a little on my first stay). The weather is not so bad (around 60) but, let's be honest, it's raining 60% of the time up there. The view is unbeatable and there is plenty to do at the Resort (Golf, Spa, Railway, Outdoor sports, Tennis, Tea, Music band, Children activities, historic tours,...).
I would definitely recommend this hotel and I hope you will have a stay as great as mine.
P.S.: My first language is not english, sorry for the many mistakes.

1 Thank ariane_89
The Management of The Omni Mount Washington would like to offer our sincerest gratitude for your very thorough and complimentary review. We truly regret that there was a bumpy start with regards to our water main break but are thrilled that Robin took the initiative to stay in contact with you and insure that the remainder of your stay went without a hitch. Thank you for recommendation and we hope you will return again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We stayed here with my family over the easter Vacation, it is absolutely gorgeous! The views on the wrap around deck are incredible and the snowcaps are to die for. I literally laid outside on the deck the whole time. There's many activities to do in the mountains, the zip line was a thrill and they even have a shuttle that takes you to and from the ski resort. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the afternoon tea, it took an hour to get served, and was very expensive. Besides that the sunday easter brunch was a tasty treat and I would go back again for over a month next time! A real gem.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
It sounds as if you had a very relaxing getaway to The Omni Mount Washington and we appreciate you sharing the details of your stay on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled that you plan on returning and look forward to welcoming you back!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bretton Woods
#2 of 4 in Jackson
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!