“Highly priced; highly over-rated.”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Brighton
“Highly priced; highly over-rated.”
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Be warned if you plan to stay at the Mt Washington hotel, Bretton Woods...

Firstly, there are hidden costs. There is a $20 tax added to each room which is supposed to cover wi-fi (when you try to log in you are informed of a $3.99 log in fee which rises to 10.99 per day). It also covers valet parking; which after you have parked your car and walked the 5 or so minutes to the hotel, is a bit too late. One of the big selling points is supposed to be the spa - which unless you spend over $100 on treatments, even as a guest you have to pay to use the facilities.

Secondly, the temperature of the hot tub would be perfect if it was named the "cold tub".

In addition, the pools both inside and out are freezing! Guests were laughing to each other about it!

Thirdly, the rooms are very noisy. We could hear our neighbours sneezing.

Fourthly, although the building is undergoing renovations, the pipe-works - which run through some rooms are extremely old and, again, noisy.

And lastly, house-keeping started knocking on doors at 9am - on a Saturday morning. There was also someone hoovering right outside our door at this time. Cleanliness is important but surely there is a time and a place!

The staff are friendly and the rooms are big. Other than that, prepare to be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank addictedtotravelz
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
We regret to hear that you had a less than stellar experience at The Omni Mount Washington. We do our best to communicate our policies regarding parking and the spa throughout our online communications and reservations process and apologize that word did not make it to you prior to your stay. As you mentioned we do cover wifi with our resort fee but it is an amenity available only to guests of the resort so we require a password that is given to the guest at check in to bypass the charge. If you were not given this password we apologize and you may reach out to accounting department and we would be happy to remove any charges that were incurred. As for the pools, we do keep them heated to approximately 90 degrees in the winter and while this may be warm enough for some we do understand that each individual is different and may not find this to be the perfect temperature. All of your honest feedback is greatly appreciated as our goal is to make each guest that stays with us have a wonderful experience. We do apologize that in your case we missed the mark and if you would consider staying with us in the future we would be happy to work with you to make sure the next stay exceeds your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
Conway
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Met with a group of girl friends for a birthday bash. From the minute you walk into the spa you feel as if you are in another world. The decor, the lighting, furnishings, the staff, everything is perfect. I treated myself to a massage and facial and both were done by professionals that have been trained well on how to provide first class service. There's a lovely room where we could all gather to chat in between services, we had lunch and drinks and left hours later refreshed and relaxed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank shoppingismylife
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Thank you for choosing The Spa at Omni Mount Washington Resort for the birthday celebration with your girlfriends. We try our best to give all of our patrons a world class spa experience and are happy to see that reflected in your review. Many thanks for sharing your spa experience on TripAdvisor and we hope we have the opportunity to serve you again soon.
New York
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I spent New Years here with my husband and father and overall, we had a wonderful experience. The surroundings are beautiful, especially when blanketed in the winter snow. There are no shortage of activities for all tastes and personalities. Our room was warm and cozy and very well decorated. My few complaints about the room are temperatures are very difficult to control. The hotel was having trouble controlling the heat when we were there and we did all get hot during the night. Also, the bedding could be a bit more comfortable. The room did have a lovely fireplace to sit by and the bathroom was spacious and very clean.

The staff at Mt. Washington is very warm and friendly and go out of their way to accommodate all types of guests. We are kind of into Ghost Hunters so they arranges a private behind the scenes tour of the spookiest spots that were featured on the show. It has a long history of hauntings, which does have a lot of appeal within the tourism industry. In every hall, you can feel the hotels rich history of hosting presidents, dignitaries and royalty for over a century. Original Thomas Edison fixtures are still on display, there is a speakeasy in the basement, and the room where the Bretton Woods treaty was signed is still in its original condition and open to visitors. I hear Omni wants to put up lots of artwork and make it feel a bit less old and haunted, but again I think its antiquity is a huge part of its charm and attraction. Looking at all the old photos and portraits in the lobby every night was a big highlight for me.

Aesthetic aside, the activites at and around the hotel are fantastic. We tried snowshoeing, tubing, took and Austrian sleigh ride, experienced dog sledding and I loved swimming in the heated outdoor pool during a blizzard. The choice of activities for New Years Eve were vast, and even if you didn't sign up for any of the options, you could enjoy the bustling, lively lobby that was decorated for the holiday as if it were Times Square filled with street vendors. We attended the Black Tie Gala and after party, but guests looked happy no matter what they were doing.

All the restaurants we tried were up to par and the indoor pool and hot tub area were also very well maintained. The shops on the bottom level are charming and even just playing in the deep snow on the grounds is delightful.

At night, my husband and I liked to sneak out back across the little bridge and sit on the golf course. Watching the mountains by moonlight is a rare treat for us, and it is so silent and peaceful back there at night.

One more great thing, they keep the roads very clear. We drove up from NY in a regular car, not an SUV and there was a huge blizzard the night before we left. We feared we would not be able to get home, but they had our car dug out and ready for our departure and the roads were kept as clear as possible. I thought NY had good snow removal, but they have nothing on New Hampshire!

All of us really enjoyed our time here and hope to return for future holidays!

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank RobynPringTravel
Thank you for choosing to ring in the New Year at The Omni Mount Washington Resort. We are happy to report that while Omni is making some updates to the property we also recognize the important role our history plays in maintaining the character and charm of the resort. We think you will return to find upgraded thermostats and elegant guestrooms combined with the historic character that we are committted to maintaining. It was a pleasure to hear how your family enjoyed your time at the resort and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Georgetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I love the history and scenery of the Mount Washington, it was perfect, if elderly.

In some ways, the lack of polish is part of the place's charm. I was there durring a big rain and wind storm. There were many leaks and the the windows rattled a bit but I can exuse all of that because the place is 100 years old and thats all part of the experience and charm.

The heating system was.. odd..... we had to open three windows in our room (in FEBUARY) just to make the room inhabitable. adjusting the thermostat didn't seem to do anything.

the indoor pool is really just for kids and reaks of clorine, the outdoor pool (open year round!) was very nice.. I went swimming in a snowstorm! but it's also odd that there is no easy way to get to the pool from the hotel itself.. instead you have to walk a long and circuitus route to get down there. I found that to be annoying..

I can not exuse the HORRIBLE service though. with the one exception of the Valet, every single employee I encountered was slow and inefficient. I had to wait in line behind two people for over an hour just to check out! The wait staff took tripple the acceptable amount of time to collect our orders and my personal pet peeve, return with the check! The housekeeping staff were intrusive and even intrupted me while I had the do not disturb sign up! I had some questions about the bill, and I have called their billing office three times now and left messages and no one has bothered to return my call.

Overall, I had a nice stay, but I do not think they deserve the luxury prices they charge when their service is so lacking. I'd stay here again if the rooms were discounted and I had some reason to be up there again.. but honestly, I think I would rather stay at a mid range business style hotel (comfort, fairfield, hampton) for half the price.. at least the service at those places is consistant and acceptable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank jasonb123
It is disappointing for us to read about your experience at The Omni Mount Washington but appreciate your honest feedback. We are always striving to make improvements in both our facility and service and feedback such as yours provides us with valuable insight. There is certainly no excuse for the less than adequate service that you received while staying with us and we have shared all of your comments with our management. Please accept our apologies and please feel free to reach out to Barbara Meaney in our accounting department for immediate resolution to your billing issues. Many thanks for your feedback. We truly hope you will consider returning to experience the level of service that each of our guests deserve.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I'll admit it, I'm picky. I don't like being picky, it makes things harder, but hey - like Popeye says, I am what I am. So, I had always wanted to stay at this resort, but it was never a good time, price etc. Groupon offered a GREAT deal: $149 for a deluxe room, Sun-Thursday with 2 lift tickets. So, I booked it for a Sunday night, and the guy and I went.

It was a 2.5 hour drive from Boston, and got prettier as you got closer. Check-in was easy enough-I had tried to upgrade to a corner suite, but with the Groupon deal you couldn't do an upgrade even if you paid the diff. I had read some reviews here that talked about some moldy bathrooms and I was scared, cause, well, like I said, I'm picky. But, no worries the front desk associate, Corinne, was incredibly helpful, and we got an amazing room - renovated - with a stunning view of the Presidential Range.

We got into the room, and the beds were so comfortable. I am a big fan of the Westin's "Heavenly Bed" and this was equally as comfy. Colors in the room were wonderful, and you never got that "ick, someone else slept here" feeling or stale smell. The room was incredibly dry and a little too warm for my taste, but it wasn't enough that I didn't sleep and nothing that extra hydration & moisturizer couldn't troubleshoot.

The Robes were great, and people come in after their day of skiing, or spa treatment, or nap, or whatever and go down to the heated outdoor pool or the indoor pool, and chill. It was great to see people milling around like this. It's about relaxation here.

The attention to detail in maintaining the historical integrity of the resort was impressive - the furniture and all the small little knick-knacks while they may have been worn, they were polished and in fantastic shape - lots of TLC. No dust, cobwebs, anything like that. This is a resort that takes a lot of pride in its history and lineage, and it shows. We really appreciated that.

If you like soundproof rooms, and kid-free zones, this place may not be for you, but I'm cranky, and - did I mention picky? - I didn't freak out over the family dance party in Suite 307 above us, or the Field Day that appeared to be going on in the hallway outside of our room. It's not the Hotel's fault that people aren't required to be licensed before they breed. ;-)

Food was great, Victor from In-Suite Dining delivered us hot, yummy food in under 30 minutes, and came and got the table after we were done quickly thereafter.

Was a little surprised at the lack of free graphical/relief type maps - I was looking for one of those maps in the room or at the info desk in the lobby, and while they had some info on it and it was helpful, I thought they had a great opportunity to upsell a little guide book with pics of the mountains in the range, elevation, etc and a history of their names, etc. Hmmmm....

Housekeeping was lovely, they were so helpful and kind, the valets were great too - this is a class act all the way.

In any case, we loved this place, and are definitely going back SOON. Beautiful, cozy (forgot to mention all the great huge fireplaces!), a trip back in time to a more elegant era....Do not miss it. I will attempt to get there every season now!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ebscully
We feel honored that we were able to exceed your expectations and standards and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We will be certain to share your compliments with Corinne and Victor and it will be a pleasure for us to welcome you back on future visits!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Great place for relaxing and forgetting works and other routines. Lots of activities to do...

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of The Omni Washington Resort. We are happy to read that you had a great stay!
dfw
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I was so excited to come here to get some peace of mind but instead I lost what I already had. In the room the lights and fans turns on by themselas as they like to the highest intesity in the middle of the night and according to the frontdesk thats very common. The roof leaks and has leak marks all over it. You can hear every noise from the upstair guests and it seems they are walking with heavy foots all day and night. I would advise come here only if you want to hear noise all day and night and experience weird phenomena.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank snowcloudrider
We regret to hear that you were not able to enjoy your time at The Omni Mount Washington Resort. As an older historic hotel we do have a few creaks and noises but with our current renovation we are doing our best to install some additional soundproofing and ensure that all electrical units are up to par and working properly. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope you will reconsider a future stay after the completion of our renovation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bretton Woods
#2 of 4 in Jackson
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!