“aweful”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Reviewed February 26, 2010

Stayed at the hotel during school vacation week - the room itself was horrible: small, maybe 10 by 20 feet and the bathroom was tiny (maybe 4 by 8)with a shower tub combo that was stained with mold. The bedroon had water stains in the ceiling. Furniture was old scratched and beat up. Room doors so old that noise from the halls was a constant companion. Kids programs - none, period. Heat in the room was not controllable. Front desk was snooty and inneficent - real attitude problems. Internet connection was dialup speed (uselessly slow) after you can finally login. VERY DISSAPPOINTED. Avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank beepac
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2010

It is disappointing to read about your experience at The Omni Mount Washington Resort. We are currently renovating all of our guest rooms in the hotel and most of the items listed in your review will be addressed. Most specifically we are working on changing out the thermostats and providing some additional soundproofing to the rooms and hallways. We do regret to hear that you did not know we have children's programs available. There are a variety of options that vary by season and age of the child. Please accept our apologies for your less than perfect stay, we are always looking for ways to make improvements to our resort and feedback such as yours proves to be a valuable way for us to identify our opportunities. Many thanks for sharing your experience and we hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

Visited the Omni Mount Washington over President's Weekend. Spectacular grand hotel with a warm old world feel. Lobby was awesome with large fireplaces and many areas to relax, read, have a cocktail and just hang out to play provided chess/checkers/board games. Super clean and well updated. Booked a premium room with two queen beds and was lucky to get one of the larger corner rooms (#415) which was great! The skiing is right at the edge of the resort property at less than 1/2 mile away and a free shuttle bus was frequent and very convenient. Super friendly staff that was very attentive and professional.

Had dinner in the main dining room for two of the nights which was very good. From one to ten, a solid eight. The other nights had the buffet downstairs at Stickeny's resturant (we'll give that a seven). Yes, prices are similar to finer NY resturant rates in the main dining room, but the location and service was first rate as well.

My wife and young daughter loved everything about the hotel as did I. Spa services were excellent with exclusive access to their outdoor hot tub viewing the snow covered Mount Washington in the distance. Outdoor pool, open to everyone was awesome as was the indoor pool/jacuzzi. My wife visited the Nordic Ski lodge on the property for a try at cross country skiing and lessons which were excellent. My daughter and I got outselves signed up for the ski school. The children's Hobbit Ski School instructors were fantastic with all day and half day programs. The all day program for $115 (including lift ticket and lunch) is great for kids that are getting started and our daughter loved it. The adult instructors.....(ask for Walter if you go)....... taught me everything I needed to know to finally get me skiiing with confidence. Walter by far was the best ski instructor I've ever had and gave me the instruction that other teachers elswhere lacked. By the end of the long weekend my daughter was skiing all of the green and blue trails with the group class and claims to have done a short run on one of the black diamond trails. Thanks to amazing attention from the instructors we both improved significantly in just a few days.

While there are other activites, if you don't ski, there isn't much outside of the hotel property, but that was fine with us since the Mt Washington had everything anyone could want in a grand setting. Will definately be back.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank GusVlad

It sounds as if you and your family had a wonderful ski vacation at The Omni Mount Washington. We appreciate all of your compliments and will be sure to share your wonderful feedback with the Bretton Woods Ski Instructors, especially Walter. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband, teenage son (19) and daughter (7) went to MWH for the President's Day holiday weekend 2/12-2/15. The hotel is newly renovated and much nicer than when we stayed there 9 years ago. The hotel is an old grand dame and she is lovely. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the beds are very comfy. We had two adjoining rooms. The rooms were hot, but cracking a window and using the ceiling fans took care of any issues with the temperature. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I have ever seen (and I have traveled all over the world and stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels). The real reason I took time to write this review is that the staff at the hotel came through in an emergency. My husband had a very serous ski accident on Saturday (less than 12 hours into our vacation stay) and had to be taken by ambulance to the local hospital. My teenager was skiing at Bretton Woods, my 7 year old was in ski school, and I was in the room relaxing with a good book. Between the hotel and the ski area (also managed by the same folks as the hotel) they arranged to find my son, get my son and daughter back to the hotel, and help them with what they needed (comfort and food) while I went to the hospital (which was a 30 minute drive) to be with my husband. They even offered to have someone drive me to the hospital. The local hospital quickly determined that they could not treat my husband and that he needed emergency surgery from a specialist in Boston. He was then sent by ambulance to Boston (a 4 hour ride). I went back to the hotel to get the kids and pack up. Even though they had a minimum stay requirement for the holiday weekend they only charged me for one night (we left at 4pm on Saturday) and they offered us a 25% discount on a future stay. They also did not charge us for a massage and a sleigh ride that were canceled at the last minute. They could not have been more accommodating and helpful. My husband is thankfully recovering, and we plan to go back to the MWH as soon as he is better. I highly recommend this property. The hotel is lovely, the food was delicious, and most importantly for us, the service was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank traveleramy2013

We regret that your husband had a ski accident during your stay at our property but are so happy that our associates were there for support every step of the way. We will look forward to welcoming you back for what will hopefully be a much more relaxing and enjoyable stay at The Omni Mount Washington Resort.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

This review is way overdue! My husband and I got married last July up at the Mount Washington Hotel and everything was beyond perfection. From the rehersal dinner, to the ceremony to the reception, we had everything held on the hotel grounds, being that this was a destination wedding for us and our 120 guests. The service was top notch - everything from the valet service to the spa was beyond 4 star. I thought I was going to be beyond stressed out before the wedding, but the staff had everything taken care of and I could not have been more relaxed. Our guests loved the canopy zip line, horse back riding, golf and the new beautiful outdoor heated pool. There was something for everyone to do there...you did not have to leave the property to be entertained! My husband and I enjoyed relaxing in the spa and it was a special touch to have use of the sauna/private hot yub after our treatments. In addition, my bridesmaids and I used the salon on the big day and the stylists at the spa were incredible and the food and wine at the salon was a nice extra touch. Included in the bed and breakfast packages (which i would 100% recommend doing) is a huge buffet breakfast which was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. It was a nice touch the day after the wedding to have the big breakfast included so we could say goodbye to all of guests. I could go on and on about how classic this hotel is with its old world charm and new world sophistication, but you have to experience staying here yourself to understand how amazing this place really is.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mccannon24
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2010

We are honored that you chose to celebrate your nuptials at the Omni Mount Washington and are humbled by your kind review. We can't thank you enough for your recommendation and wish you the best for a long and happy marriage!

Reviewed February 13, 2010

My husband and 13 month old son stayed at the Mount Washington Resort along with our extended family in October. When we checked in, we were initially given a room which appeared to be in need of renovation. I asked to be changed to another room and the staff were very gracious in moving us to a recently renovated room. In the future, I will request a renovated room when booking as there is a significant improvement in the renovated decor. I thought it was a neat touch that the hotel places a small metal plaque on the doors of the rooms which tell you the names of famous people who have stayed there in the past. We enjoyed walking the halls to read the names of celbrities who have stayed at the hotel over the years. The hotel is very grand and elegant. The lobby has many intimate gathering spaces. The view of Mount Washington from the back patio is stunning. The restaurant offers phenomenal food, service and atmosphere. We were not impressed with the downstairs cave bar which was a bit damp and musty. The casual restaurant downstairs was nothing special in terms of atmostphere and food. The indoor pool area was very nice and my son enjoyed splashing in the water. Otherwise, the entire resort was very comfortable. We definitely are looking forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank urbancombatqueen

Thank you for your review and we are delighted to hear that you plan on returning. We are hopeful that you will not need to make a special request for a renovated room on your next stay as we are in the process of completing the remaining guest rooms. Thank you again for your kind review and we will look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed February 7, 2010

Great Hotel!We had a renovated Vista view room. The room was perfect, we had a small seating area, a step up to the bed area with a slant ceiling and a small bathroom. Really cozy and decorated well.
Main areas of the hotel were very nice. Lots of small seating areas and two huge fireplaces. Service was great very attentive staff.
The outdoor pool was an experience. It was so cold on the walk outside to the pool we had to run and hurry right in the water. The water was warm but if you go under when you come up your hair and face start freezing. I am glad I did it.
We did the rest and relaxation package which included the room, canopy tour, ski lift ticket, and spa treatment. Package was great and worth the price.
Canopy tour was sick. It is definetly for the fearless. I am glad I did it but wouldn't do it again. Very long, cold and scarey! The Canopy tour guides were amazing. Skiing was great we took a ski class and the instructor was very patient and informative.
The only major complaint we had was the food choices or lack there of.
The hotel has Stickney's which is a buffet in the basement. The main dining room is formal dress so we did not go there. The Rosewood Bar had a limited menu and was pricey. There is a restaurant down at the Inn which is very pricey as well. Off site is Fabyan's whichis dingy and has bar food like burgers and nachos. Decent food poor atmosphere.Breakfast buffet was wonderful!
Great hotel for kids and family.I will return again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pwinny

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your recent vacation at The Omni Mount Washington. From your list of activities it sounds as if you were able to keep busy during your time with us and we are delighted that you plan to return again soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2010

To look out your window at the unspoiled landscape ringed by noble mountains: priceless.
The natural beauty and drama of the setting matches up with the high-ceilinged glory of the well-preserved old hotel. The staff is trained to perfection, and friendliness abounds. This place is far from cheap, and the food, though very good, is not quite at the level to justify the cost, but it would be churlish to dwelling on the minor drawbacks of such a beautiful experience. By the way, if you can bring yourself to try it, the outdoor pool in winter, wreathed in steam, feels heavenly.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SquamRock

We are so fortunate to be located in such a beautiful and unspoiled section of the Presidential Mountain Range and are happy to hear that you found our resort to be a little slice of Paradise. Many thanks for your glowing review and we hope you will return soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bretton Woods
North Conway Grand Hotel
#8 of 25 in North Conway
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!