“Good News and Some Bad News”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I must preface this review by saying that my husband and I were not "guests" per se at the Mount Washington - We inquired about reservations but the only availability was for queen bed rooms and so, since we live about an hour south of the hotel, we decided to come up for the day to have lunch and enjoy the spa.

The good news is that we had a great time. We started with lunch at Stickney's with a world class BLT. I have never had such a perfectly crafted sandwich - the bread and bacon (lots of bacon) were warm - the tomato and lettuce cold. Our waiter was friendly and efficient and our shared meal - a salad and the sandwich was divided on plates for two - Seated outside overlooking the Presidential range, what more could we ask for?

The spa was just fabulous too - all the facilities were immaculate, well attended and the treatments I had - including the Alpine Glow Scrub - were delightful. The athesticians were very sweet as well as competent. It was a little slice of heaven served up just for us.

Unfortunately, there were a few bad points to the trip. As we drove up to the hotel - all we could see was massive scaffolding, totally covering the front of the hotel. On the left side, a wing was totally wrapped in plastic - like a giant condom. It was totally unattractive. The really bad part was when we had tried to make a reservation, NOBODY advised us that we might be looking at a world class view through the bars of a scaffold - or worse - somebody walking up and down would be looking at US! Very bad news indeed!

Also - as we walked around the hotel, we noticed pitch black smoke rising into the air. We were told it was the boiler and that this happened several times a day. To see that terrible pollution in the middle of the pristine White Mountains was really upsetting. More bad news

At the spa, there were 6 or 7 women (part of a wedding group), who took over the "quiet" room as their personal party venue. There was loud chatter and laughing and lots o' champagne drinks going on in one section of the room. Other people were there- trying to relax while waiting for their treatments. I went into the coed quiet room and all was quiet there - until a table was set up for the wedding party's lunch. Luckily, I was called for my treatment before a full out "musical quiet room" broke out There should be a private room for special parties so that everyone else can enjoy the facilities - after all - we are all paying for our spa visit!

All in all we spent a pretty nice day - which was topped off as it should be - with a smart cocktail, on the porch , very nicely served by a young waitperson and her "shadow" trainee . Sipping that cosmo - gazing at that spectacular view - what's not to like?

Just a note - everyone who works at the Omni Mount Washington always seems friendly and ready to help. And that's not only the staff members that actually served us - they were just great. But there were smiles and hellos from pretty much everyone who walked passed us. And that isn't good news, it is excellent news!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that have that scaffolding in front of the windows
1  Thank topiarylady
There are newer reviews for Omni Mount Washington Resort

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Took my partner there for his birthday weekend, and it was just a beautiful property in a beautiful location. There is some restorative construction going on, but from the first glimpse on the drive up the access road the grandeur of this old hotel was evident. The room was small but quaint and had real charm. The grounds, and the facility itself were impeccable. The staff was very accommodating. The dinner at Stickney's Steakhouse was amazing, with great food and service, and breakfast the following morning was excellent for a buffet. The spa was a delight for some relaxation in grand style. Loved this place and look forward to returning!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had the best trip to the Mount Washington Resort recently. My husband and I came to see the food and wine festival and ended up with so much more.

The Staff was beyond gracious. The entertainment director Michael McClenathan and his brother Todd McClenathan put on a show that will stand out in my mind for decades.

First my husband took in 18 holes of golf. He played the best game of his life- I think cause he is soooo relaxed- playing 41 in the back half of the course.

I had so much fun playing caddy and taking pictures. The view of the mountain is epic!

It all begins on Friday night with an extravagant reception in their Grand Ballroom as Michael and Todd recreated Times Square to authenticate the "Street Foods" experience. That night we were treated to the talented TV star Prudence Sloan hosting 5 extraordinary chefs. You could try the standard street fare- roast pig, cheese balls and meat skewers, or but they also had exotic fare like Vietnamese Pho soup and Polish perogies and then the desserts. Was so delightful that I found my husband eating 3 full desserts! He could not help himself. The best of all was the Blueberry Mouse tart that was so light, Alan could not figure out how he kept it together.

On Saturday we took in more of the festival. The talents of Chef Warrick Dowsett stood out amoung the exhibitors. His sauces are packed into wozz kitchen creations and I could not believe the variety and creativity.

On the main stage, the stand out chefs included Robert Mancuso, who fascinated us with a Maple Syrup lecture and tasting. Travis Giles taught us how to make sausages from scratch! I have a whole new respect for how tricky it can be.
Francisco Jimenez wowed the crowd with delicious shrimp. He had the honour of the Master Chef Jerry Tice assisting him on stage and we learned about this experiences working with the likes of Julia Childs!!!

It continued on Saturday night with an exquisite 4-course dinner complete with Austrian Wine pairings in the most-beautiful vaulted Main Dining Room built in 1902.

The weekend culminates on Sunday with a jaw-dropping performance from "Bella Electric Strings" quartet. We had so much fun dancing up a storm and getting their autograph after the show in this awesome authentic “Speak-Easy” called the Cave!

It was a weekend out of time. I felt like I was living in the roaring 1920’s and the whole world was a party.

As we watched the fire and ice show- Both Ice sculpture creation and major fireworks simultaneously, I turned to Alan and said, “This may be as good as it gets”. My heart was wide open with gratitude.

Mark it in your calendars to do this event next year. I’ll be hanging with the chefs and looking forward to meeting you there!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We normally do not spend this much on a hotel, but if you are looking for something special, this is worth the money! The views are amazing. You can spend hours walking through this place finding interesting facts and pictures. It is even good for kids as you can find quite a bit for them to do including swimming and the arcade downstairs. They were not very willing to negotiate their price, but it is still worth the extra money if you can afford it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My daughter and son-in-law visited a week before Christmas and of course all was white! Being from Middle Georgia, where there is hardly ever snow, it was so beautiful! Entering the resort is like walking back in history. Surrounded by the White Mountains, it was originally opened in 1902 and the granduer of this famous landmark is still visible. The resort was decorated picture perfect for creating family memories. For us, a favorite picture was taken in front of a huge poinsettia tree. We were not able to go up the summit because of the snow, but there was plenty of skiing nearby and snow tubing on site. We chose the tubing and really enjoyed it. I think it cost about $10-20 for half day or so. I would definitely recommend this resort and would love to see it in the summertime too. It's close to North Conway and Conway where there's lots of shopping and places to eat. But it would be easy to just stay on site and cozy up to the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate after a day in the snow.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

If you're going to the Grand hotel in the mountains looking for the FULL package of the splendor of this hotel- do not book here. This hotel is expensive because it's typically the iconic "castle" and I am suppose to be getting married there next weekend and I went last night (5/24/13) and the entire front building is covered in scaffolding and ongoing renovations. The resort didn't properly notify me, the bride, of the extent of the conditions at the hotel, so to any prospective guests, beware - they do NOT operate under full disclosure and you may be paying half a grand to stay there for the weekend and you'll have scaffolding out your window. This is a ruthless revenue driven resort - know what you are getting into before giving them your business. Pictures attached are from last night 5/24/13

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Coxbergeron
Milton H, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your visit the week prior to your wedding and I do hope that your wedding ended up being everything you had envisioned. I apologize that you felt you had not been fully informed of the extent of the preservation project with the new cold roof being installed. While we do attempt to inform guests by having this information available through our website, and through the reservation call center to inform guests prior to booking. Then again in the confirmation email, and pre-arrival email from our concierge team to remind them after booking that we have this project occurring. With this we still occasionally have guests that miss the information and I am sorry that this seems to be the case with you. On a positive note for the preservation project, the team is ahead of schedule and the spring portion of this project will have much less of an impact than originally thought. Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I spent a week of vacation at the Mt Washington Hotel (Omni) the first week of May. Our stay at the hotel was oustanding. We had a nice view of the Mount Washington, the food was great and the staff was very nice and helpful. Despite we were off-season and the dining room was closed, we enjoyed the Bretton Wood dining room and Stickney's.

1  Thank sperro60
The Wentworth
#2 of 4 in Jackson
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!