“Another FIRE alarm!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Farmington, New Hampshire, United States
“Another FIRE alarm!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mt. Washington on March 21-22 and at 2 am the fire alarm went off. Much like everyone else stated in this same ongoing situation, we had the same experience. No guidence from staff and no explanation. They didn't seem to care about the inconvienence to the guests. We ate at Stickneys (I call it stinkneys, for a reason) I felt like the Wendys ad "Wheres the beef"? My 14 dollar hamburger was engulfed by the bun. After, we visited the candy store on site and bought a whoopie pie the was stale and a choclate milk that was inside its expiration date but had something wrong with it as it had an alcohol taste to it. Please keep in mind neither my wife or I drink alcohol. Then to top off the stay we were awakened at 8 am by the construction crew banging just outside our room window working on the outside of the front of the building. The Hotel was very beautiful visually though.

Room Tip: Ask in advance if there is any construction going on before booking!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matt U
Milton H, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit and I apologize for the issue with the alarm. Unfortunately we had a pull station on the lower level that had been pulled when there was no emergency present. We have turned the investigation over to the police for follow up and I apologize that someone felt there was a reason to pull this alarm. I also wanted to thank you for your feedback on Stickney's; I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Chef.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and I am sorry that due to the issue with the fire alarm, we failed in meeting your expectations for your visit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had to chime in after reading some of the reviews on this site. "Fly on our window sill . . . hair in the pool . . ." put the white gloves away people, venture outside your room and take in the spectacular setting of this gem in the White Mountains - the greatest hotel in New England - hands down. We toured the hotel this past summer and were instantly hooked (there was even a film crew shooting a movie - how cool!). Finally got to stay there this winter - Rooms were perfectly furnished, food was incredible, service impeccable, pools were awesome (particularly the outdoor heated pool - an invigorating jaunt away from the lobby!). The kids loved the bountiful activities offered to them and clearly advertised in their daily "Bugle". Only complaint would be that our stay was too short (3 nights). Anyone giving this place less than five stars needs to stay home in their city apartments and watch more TV - the only place they'll find a hotel free of insects and human hair.

4 Thank Don H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Nobody to welcome us at the front steps of our 11pm arrival. Sourced a gentleman, not sure he was staff but he informed us that we could valet or self park. He did not offer to help with bags but he did take the car ! Don't be fooled by the free valet, it's part of the resort fee. A front desk young agent appeared very flustered dealing with a telephone (complaint) and trying to welcome us. She apologized for the delay and attempted to check us in but the 'system' was down, eventually she gave us room number and location to elevator but no other information. We asked if anything was open, she replied "No". Fourth floor King Room, comfy bed, standard fare, stylish décor, decent view. Large bathroom with top quality products and towels. Bathrobes in closet and 'Hotel' quality bed linen but housekeeping needs tweaking. Dead fly on window seal which stayed there after housekeeping had cleaned room so I removed it. I found another the 2nd night whilst removing throw pillows off bed. Bathroom was not as clean as I would have expected, no attention to detail. I felt this room may have not be used in a while. I would also surprised at the lack of amenities, no fridge or coffee maker. However, the public areas of the Hotel are beautifully maintained throughout. All lounge areas have very impressive décor, are very spacious with open fires and super comfy chairs. We ate 2 breakfast in the dining room, Stickneys for dinner and the Princess Room for afternoon tea, exquisite. Top quality food at all times and with attentive professional staff who appear to be well trained so after our disappointing arrival and fearing that the service may not match the quality of the Hotel we were pleased to find that the service here is very good. Because of bad weather, incessant rain, we just had to spend the afternoon in the Spa! This is first class style and elegance and superior treatments to match but you always get what you pay for and we did pay for the champagne which we were lead to believe was complimentary but the whole experience was so enjoyable you forgot just how much everything cost, however, they do add 20% service on to all charges in the spa but they do give you the option to give less. The shuttle they run to and from Bretton Woods is super efficient, a swim in the outdoor pool in the rain and snow is a must, it's heated, as is the spa's hot tub, 105 degrees, fab, but because of the appalling weather most of the resorts outdoor activities were off. There is a concierge desk available all day, a daily hotel newspaper and television channel but I have to say that some of the information is inconsistent and confusing so we missed out a anticipated night in the 'Cave' and had I not struck up a conversation with 2 other hotel guests on the chair lift I would have missed out on a fabulous afternoons snowshoeing high up at the Alpine Ski area. This Hotel is very grand and elegant and has a very European feel to it. The quality of the food and staff support the price tag and word regarding the 'heat' loved it !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank bateson49
Thank you for the opportunity you provided us to serve you as our guest and for the feedback you provided which will help us improve our service and overall satisfaction for all guests. I apologize for your arrival experience being less than it should have been and much less than the standards the teams are trained to. I have followed up with both our guest services manager and our front office management team to work with their teams to ensure better service for our guests arriving late. Thank you as well for your feedback on the morning coffee and I am hopeful that the team made you aware of the complimentary morning beverages through our Select Guest program that are delivered by room service and the complimentary coffee offered in our Rosebrook Lounge every morning.

I am happy that the team was able to turn things around for you and again I apologize that your first impressions were less than they should have been. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again when your travel plans return you to the Bretton Woods area.
New Hampshire
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This was our fourth visit to the Mount Washington Hotel. As we only live 90 minutes away we often drive up for a one or two night stay. I always feel like we are transported back in time to the early 1900's.This grand hotel preserves the ambiance of its origin. The service is always superb. We purchased a $25 day pass to the 25,000 square foot spa. Amazing attention and service in this beautiful addition. We'll be back again soon.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Mountain_Doc
Vermont
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed for one night with family. This grand and gilded resort is run like a fine-tuned machine considering every nook and cranny that has to be accounted for. The outdoor pool was a pleasant temperature, but there was a large wad of hair floating in the pool. I had read a similar complaint prior to my arrival, so was displeased to find this to still be the case. The gym was clean and there were complimentary headphones. A nice touch, but the sound did not work on the treadmills when you plugged the headphones in. The room was spacious and well-appointed but my mattress had a sever incline. Had I been staying more than one night, I would have requested a room change. I woke up with a stiff neck. Again, having read similar reviews about uncomfortable beds, I was disappointed that this was the case. The hotel is a marvel to explore. With the stores, the dining and recreation available, one does not have to leave the property and you really do feel like you are stepping back in time. We had dinner at Stickney's and breakfast at Bretton Arms-delicious food and polite service. I felt like my family and I were well-attended to and you can tell the resort is aiming to please, but it was the little details that make this a four rather than five-star resort review.

3 Thank Trvlbug49
Rumney, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have our yearly meeting at Mt. Washing hotel. With great service, excellent meeting rooms, great views and super nice rooms it is our choice of locations.

The dining is great and we had a great time in the cave.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Polar_Caver
baltimore
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my third time to this hotel and the first time since Omni took over the resort. I was looking forward to the changes and improvements but it fell short of my expectations. First and foremost it is truly a beautiful old grand hotel and easy access with shuttle to Bretton Woods - also a great hotel for kids but I found they lacked in areas easy enough to improve on.

The rooms have been re-decorated but the bathrooms are old and shoddy. The mattresses leave a lot to be desired, and it is very difficult to control the climate the room - it is way to hot and even with the windows open and heat at 64 the room never dipped below 69F. There was hair on the walls in the shower/bathroom when we checked in which I found to be poor oversight on the cleaning crew. The electrical sockets were broken with plastic hanging off and true fire hazard at least in room 417. I thought this was not acceptable of a hotel of this standard, or any hotel for that matter.

The restaurant menus tend not to lend to any exceptionally healthy choices but they have a great kids menu in Stickneys. We really enjoyed the light fare in the bar area upstairs in Rosewood (I think that is what it was called)and had a spectacular server Hannah who steered us in the right choices for drinks and food - this was good food and great service. The breakfast hands down is the best around and we enjoyed it as did our 4 year old son.

I thought the indoor pool and hot tub was a huge disappointment - not only for its size but for the cleaniness which it was really dirty as were the locker rooms at the outside pool. Dirty wet towels strewn everywhere, water everywhere and I never saw it clean the entire time I was there. After being in Stowe, 6 weeks prior the amenities of the pool and spa at TopNotch Resort are far superior and cleaner.

The shuttle to the ski resort is great and runs frequently. They have done a lot at the ski resort with snowmobiling for kids and a play area which was fantastic.

Overall, I think that hotel is a 3.5 star and is in definite need of improvement. The property is beautiful but don't look too closely at the simple things that should not be an issue in any hotel and definitely not one of this standard/rating. Wait staff was great and they really do accommodate families traveling with children which is nice.

2 Thank backchick
#2 of 4 in Jackson
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!