“Fun skiing, snowmobiling, dogsledding make this a great family getaway with teenager, amidst old world charm” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Mount Washington Resort

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
WILLIAMSBURG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We spent a delightful long weekend with our 18-year-old son at this historic Grand Hotel on the edge of Bretton Woods Ski Resort. The scenic location, architecture, reproduction decor, and on-site amenities made our stay a wonderful treat.

Most guests are here to enjoy the outdoor sports accessible by stepping outside or taking a quick shuttle ride. We all got a good workout, then relaxed in the outdoor heated pool (we stayed warm in it for half an hour and then dunked in the indoor hot tub) and the super-relaxing spa. Our visit was just after U.S. school vacation week, so there were not too many small children.

The common areas were spacious, comfortable, and welcoming, with service for drinks. Each night, we enjoyed a drink and a games of chess there, or watched sports in the bar overlooking the mountain range.

Our accommodations were roomy and comfortable with two wing chairs. The only negative was that we didn't get the hang of the heat controls. Even though we opened the window, we were a bit warm at night, but not so much that we remembered to ask the staff. I was woken up once by a group coming in after midnight, talking loudly in the hallway, but otherwise noise was not an issue.

The Stay-and-Ski packages are a deal! Next time, we won't include the four course meal in the main dining room every night, we'd choose activities instead. It was delicious, but one or two nights, a la carte, would be plenty. We gained weight!

Heed the email confirmation and make dinner reservations ahead. We were glad we did, because the place was full on the weekend.

The best thing about this place was that there was so much for the three of us to have a great time doing together and individually. We felt pampered and had a great time as a family. It was relaxing and FUN, and we'd love to go back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank KATHLEENU70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had the opportunity to visit over MLK weekend this January. What an amazing trip.

The hotel itself is gorgeous and classic. The public spaces are grand and majestic. The place exudes history. The halls have mysterious little corners and doorways to nowhere. We were upgraded to a "Queen Corner Room" with a sofa and fireplace and a wonderful view of Mt. Washington. Sipping wine by the fireplace after a day of winter sports was just one of many highlights of our trip.

We enjoyed so many features of the hotel. The indoor pool / hot tub is modest but was never overcrowded. The restaurants have amazing views. (Make reservations well in advance for a holiday weekend - the locals really converge on the hotel dining!)

With such an amazing, historic hotel, I had one surprise: The staff and service was even better, the icing on the cake. Everyone from the car valet (free) and ski valet, restaurant staff, and especially front desk were incredibly helpful. I won't name names, but we really appreciated a staff member who responded to many questions via email in advance, and also while were at the hotel. She paid great attention to details to make us feel very welcome. Another front desk person chased me halfway across the hotel to tell me I could have a late checkout even later than I had requested.

Of all the experiences, I guess the speakeasy bar, with real ambiance, could have also used some imagination with their drink options and should serve some sort appetizer / finger food.

This was probably my best hotel experience, ever.

Room Tip: upgrade to a corner room with a fireplace and extra windows with great views!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bob_Rocky_Hill
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Although the property at the Mt. Washington is lovely, there seems to be something seriously wrong with the staffing since Omni's takeover. With the exception of the staff who greeted us outside and helped with our skis and those at the spa -- the rest left quite a bit to be desired. Room service was late both mornings that we were there, with no apology; one waiter chided us for asking to change our table because he wanted us in his section; the delivery speed of food was seriously lacking and more importantly, the food itself was abyssmal (and expensive).

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fitztocemberg
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Everything is top notch here at the Mount Washington. We have been coming here for 20 years and finally something happened that I can actually complain about: They forgot my husband's coffee one morning! Oh, the horror!!!! Fear not, they made amends and all was well. If I sound tongue in cheek, it is because this hotel figures out everything for you before you even know you want it. Listening to him complain was hilarious. I said "In 20 years they have never let you down. Think about it!" Needless to say, one hot cup of coffee and all was right in the world.

One night at dinner I remarked to the waiter how great the food was and how they should have food demonstrations or cooking class weekends. He ran out back and brought out the chef. This gentleman was not only funny and engaging, he took my request seriously. I promise to be the first person to sign up for that weekend.

Keep up the great work MWH. You are tops in my book.

Room Tip: Always pick a mountain view.
2 Thank Stacey P
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed here often over the years and at all times of the year. Having just returned from a ski trip/stay, I can only say that this resort gets better and better each time we stay here for either fishing, skiing, vacationing, or just relaxing----it doesn't matter, it is always GREAT! Accomodations, facilities, food and beverage and friendly management and staff are unmatched anywhere---we love it here.

Room Tip: All are fine so select according to your price considerations.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We are the family with two girls, 10 an 11 ½ old. We stayed at the Mt. Washington Resort (MWR) for a weekend skiing trip to Bretton Woods.

In our opinion, this resort is good for people interested in New England’s nature and heritage. It also seems to be a great place for an upscale wedding or conference.
In our opinion, this resort is not so good for you if you are on a budget; Omni Resorts has several more affordable places nearby around Bretton Woods; or if you are looking for secluded log-cabin type stay at the White Mountains.

Mt Washington Resort (MWR) is an unusual place: a luxury grand hotel from the Gilded Age combined (in the winter) with a ski resort. It is an enormous majestic palace built by a coal magnate 100+ years ago. It will take your breath away when first seen from the road. Outside, the property has dramatic views of the mountains and vast grounds ( free shuttles to all it’s corners and to Bretton Woods ski station are provided). Inside you’ll find stately Grand Hall, elegant dining rooms, Great Ballroom , lots of history , elegance and grandeur. Absolutely unique experience. Friendly and quick service.

Rooms: Not bad but less impressive( by today’s standards): not too large, with somewhat dated furnishings and flimsy plumbing . Otherwise they are comfortable and the old-looking furniture gives them the authenticity of the epoch . Ask for one facing the mountains.

Skiing and winter stuff: Conveniently, you can get dressed, buy your (discount) ticket in the lobby, pick up your ski stored downstairs by the staff, take a shuttle (friendly drivers) and be at the slopes in after a 5 min ride. Bretton Woods is perfect for a mid-level skiers , with a benefits of great views of Mt. Washington . Besides, MWR offers on it’s grounds: sleigh and dogsled rides, snowshoe and cross-country trails, snow-tubing and an outdoor heated pool.

Kids: Very kid friendly place, with different level activities and kid clubs(skiing and not) , indoor pools, kid games in the evening and 8 pm children movies. Allows you to have some kid-free time in perfect peace of mind.

Other activities: Extensive choice, from spa, indoor pool and nightclub bar to hikes, foliage (in season) and Mt. Washington Cog Rairoad nearby ( go on a clear and sunniest day possible and bring a lot of warm clothing, it’s always freezing on the top). See MWR website for current events. Make sure to take a twice-daily guided tour of the hotel and it’s history, you won’t regret.

Other advice. During high seasons ( foliage and ski) the weekend prices are very steep but the resort is still full. Try go during the week if possible. Bring a jacket & tie or a nice dress and the dress shoes (required for dinner in the grand Dining Room). Bring swimsuits, too.

Room Tip: During high seasons ( foliage and ski) the weekend prices are very steep but the resort is still ful...
nyc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Driving up to the resort (5.5 hour drive), I decided to call to make a dinner reservation. Found out during that call that the room was put into the system wrong and they did not have me arriving until the next day. I told them they had 5 hours to figure it out as I was arriving for a wedding and it was their fault. I was put on hold 2x for about 20 minutes and was beyond upset. Finally the Manager Chris called me back to tell me that they are sold out and we can have a condo down the road on the property. Well, that is not what we wanted, but had no choice. Upon arrival (property is beautiful as you drive in), Chris told us he found us a last minute room on the first floor and would change us the following night to an upgraded suite. The room he gave us was tiny and 2 people could barely fit in and move around. Room 112.

We ate in the dining room that night and the food was better than expected and then we went downstairs to explore the Cave bar that was an old Speakeasy. The bar was a great set up, but the band was SO SO SO loud, that we had to go back upstairs to a bar where it was quiet. The overall feel of the hotel even after the big renovation is very old and the colors are outdated.

The next day, we took advantage of the spa while they prepared our other room and we had to be at the wedding at 4PM. The spa is fantastic...I think the best part of the hotel. I got a massage and ordered lunch to the coed waiting room and enjoyed all the steam and jacuzzi assets. I also got a blowout and then some products.

The hotel all weekend was very crowded as there were weddings, a conference and a lot of kids running around screaming as it is a very family oriented place. We got our new room number which was 314....the Princess Suite. I did not know until I left that it is the MOST haunted room on the property...had I known, I do not think I would have stayed in it. Thank goodness nothing odd happened except there were a LOT of flies all over the windows.

They did a good job with the wedding and the food was 5 courses and not any complaints that I know of. After dinner, a bottle of champagne in the bar and then to the room to sit in front of the fireplace.

All in all a good experience and I will return in the summer to take advantage of the sports. I did see dog sledding, a zip line and a horse sleigh that I would have liked to have done if I had time .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!