“Charming but in need of updates”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Boston, Massachusetts
“Charming but in need of updates”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really wanted to love this hotel, as these grand hotels are a vanishing breed. And there was lots to like: the service was very friendly and helpful, from the valet to the concierge to the waitstaff, the location is great, they made getting to the ski mountain incredibly easy, and there are lots of activities for kids. And the rooms, while a little dated, were clean and comfortable.

The primary issue is the food, which is overpriced and not particularly good. Granted, we avoided the main dining room for dinner based on other reviews citing poor value, so we only ate dinner at Stickney's and breakfast in the dining room. As others have said, I wished there were an a la carte option during breakfast, as I didn't want to have to spend $20 on breakfast. In retrospect, I would have headed straight for the mountain and gotten breakfast there: it's still expensive but at least you control what you spend. We ate at Stickney's twice, and while the staff was attentive and friendly, the food quality was just OK. The bread was low-quality supermarket bread and my hamburger was very over-cooked.

Two other areas for improvement: wifi access and pay-per-view, neither of which seemed available, and the outdoor pool, which my 12-y.o. daughter loved but which was quite dirty and not nearly warm enough for winter swimming.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but the prices seem high for the quality.

2 Thank Martha G
Milton H, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for the feedback provided and for the compliments regarding many aspect of our resort. I apologize that our restaurants failed to meet your expectations and that you were not made aware of the a la carte breakfast option at the Bretton Arms Restaurant. We are working on changes in our restaurants due to feedback from our guest and expect that with your next visit you will find our dining options will provide you with a more positive experience. Thank you for being our guest and the opportunity you provided us to serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Westport, Ct
Reviewed February 23, 2013

In spite of the fact that the various criticisms in the previous reviews are valid, we had a wonderful february vacation week here with our teenagers, and the overall experience actually exceeded expectations.

This unique historic hotel boasts one of the most beautiful locations on the east coast. We were drawn to the resort for the nordic skiing and there is simply no better, more scenic, more expansive place for nordic skiing in the Northeast (okay -- to be fair, I have not been to Craftsbury, Vermont. But Trapp Family Lodge, while lovely and the closest rival I can think of, is largely too challenging for the average intermediate skiier). The views of the Mt Washington range from the hotel rooms and public areas are fantastic. The outdoor pool has breathtaking views too. Bretton Woods ski area has expanded, was easy to use, and the shuttle system worked surprisingly well -- at least during a busy vacation week, there was very little waiting. Dinner in the dining room with a dance band was a throw back to the 1950's in a fun way -- kids and parents were doing the foxtrot beneath a gorgeous turn of the century chandelier, etc. The food in the dining room and Bretton Arms Inn was very good, but notably expensive. The other food outlets in the building were only fair and could certainly be improved.

Negatives? As other reviewers have pointed out, the hotel is noisy. Long corridors with wooden doors make for clattering sounds -- and the wind whistled around our room, surprisingly loudly. More disturbing, the windows of our room were littered with flies --and since i've seen this referred to in other reviews, I suspect management knows about this issue and should certainly take steps to caulk old windows, spray where needed and constantly clean windows and light fixtures (when I mentioned the problem to the housekeeper, he said they took care of the flies with a vacuum -- sorry, not remotely sufficient)
Otherwise, the room, a corner vista, was fresh and pretty with a comfortable bed and had amazing views. (It's true, by the way that the flat screen TV's have fuzzy analog pictures, but honestly, if you care a lot about this -- this probably isn't your kind of place...!)

The hotel was filled with young children and extended families over vacation week and I think it would be a great place to come with younger kids. The tubing hill was terrific, the sleigh ride was lovely -- there's a lot to do, and the big old hotel is a cool place for kids! The downhill ski mountain offers lots of beginner slopes with some easy intermediate and expert trails -- it's all very family friendly in stunningly beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, the views towards Mt Washington are the best.
3 Thank Barbeque
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Mount Washington is one of the few remaining "grand hotels" in New Hampshire. The setting overlooking Mount Washington is breathtaking. The property is beautiful in the style of a bygone era with high ceilings, white columns and 2 large fireplaces. There is a coziness to this place that newer hotels just can not provide. The service is outstanding, there is easy access to the slopes via a shuttle service that runs 24/7. There are nightly movies for children a number of different restaurants to choose from, and of course high tea (strongly recommend it). One draw back, their Internet connection is almost none existent, which in a way may be a blessing in disguise. The MW is closer than VT if you are coming from the Boston area (just a 3 hour drive), and not as far as The Balsams in Dixville Notch, another grand hotel.

1 Thank Eduardo G
Scarborough, Maine
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were able to get a last minute reservation at the Omni Mt. Washington for the beginning of winter break. It was very packed so we were grateful! I read through many trip advisor reviews and felt well armed with information I needed. Many reviews made me very nervous about the room size, meal situation, and condition of the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised and really had a lovely quick visit. We stayed 2 nights, 3 days and traveled with out 8 year old son. Our arrival to the Omni was as lovely as everyone says - bell and door staff were quick, friendly, and full of information. My check in experience was pretty grim with someone who was not friendly, didn't give me any information of the hotel and informed us the early check in we were guaranteed was not happening. This meant potentially sitting for two hours. As I glanced around I noticed while there are tons of seats and areas to hang out - they were full to the max with people who looked to be sitting for hours. So my review is really to tell the good and the bad. Overall, we had a very lovely time and will return. My attitude is really more about be prepared and know what you are getting. 10 minutes after the horrendous check in process I went back to the front and spoke to someone. 15 minutes later he found us where we were sitting with a room ready. Room 419 is a lovely room with a view of the mountains. It is L shaped and accommodated the cot for my son and left us room to move around. I will say, walls are very thin as many reviews state. We had a door to the room next to ours and could hear every word and movement of the people in the next room. Fortunately after one loud conversation, they settled in and we didn't hear them again. My recommendation is ask for an end of the hall room. I used the spa while my family hit the slopes for the day. I booked by email ahead of time and my experience was excellent, relaxing, and totally worth the amount paid for a package of treatments. My son and husband took the shuttle skiing and had a totally fun day. Shuttle was quick and easy, slopes were good for family skiing. My big heads up about is more about the things to do. It was really cold and we didn't venture out other than the skiing. That left the inside of the hotel for our activities and meals. There simply isn't enough room for all the people. The arcade was constantly packed with kids not moving from the games. There aren't enough arcade games in there or space for all the kids. The pool was packed every time we ventured a look, except from 8-10am on check out day. Morning swimming was great! The seating areas were crowded and people seemed to set up house and stay for hours. It's a lovely hotel, the room was lovely, and the food was good. My suggestion is get all your reservations for spa and meals made before you arrive or you are at the whim of chance to get anything. We ate a large meal at Stickley's early and ordered dinner room service on the first day. Each meal we ordered was a promised 30 minutes for room service and at best it was 45. The food was good when it arrived and we were happy to hang out waiting and know we were at least getting food. My other 'thing' was wifi. While I saw many people using their various electronics, we were only able to connect one laptop to the wifi - not the other laptop, iPhones, iPad, or itouch. We simply couldn't connect. We called and no one ever called us back. I'm not sure what happened as it seemed people were connecting. So I used my kindle and was happy I had preloaded many books! I do wish I'd brought more for my son to do - such as games, books. I simply wasn't thinking ahead enough for our last minute trip. Overall, I recommend this property. We had fun and as long as we flowed with the crowds, waiting, and challenges around wifi - it was all okay. We went in knowing the costs of room, food, and unexpected charges thanks to other reviews. The 18% or 20% gratuity is included with everything you sign and there is a $25 a day resort fee. These things are never mentioned so I'm glad the trip advisor reviews told me! Did I get the value for the dollar paid? I'm really not sure I can say yes. I can say we had fun and so we'd return. Hope this helps inform you for your stay!

Room Tip: We stayed at the end of the hall well away from the elevator. We had room 419, facing Mt. Washingto...
5 Thank Laura B
new hampshire
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Mount Washington on Valentine's Day. The room was delightful, the service was excellent, and the food could not have been better. The Mount Washington is a great place to get away, enjoy the scenery - our room looked directly at Mount Washington - walk the verandas, and enjoy excellent food in historic surroundings. The Mount Washington can't be compared to a modern hotel, nor should it. It's an old and historic New Hampshire grand hotel, a relic of a previous era, and that is a special experience that shouldn't be compared to sleek, modern lodgings. We have enjoyed The Balsams before, and now that it is closed, we opted to try the Mount Washington and were not disappointed. We even received a gift of champagne and truffles for our anniversary. While not cheap, the dinner and buffet breakfast were tasty, filling and creative. An out of the ordinary place for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank catscript
D. C.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

A courteous, well-dressed, and professional staff - shades of Downton Abbey - highlights this historic hotel which was the site of the founding of the IMF in 1944. Omni rescued from it from bankruptcy several years ago. Beds are very comfortable; food is good if expensive; views from almost all rooms are scenic; unique outdoor excursions (dogsled ride, sleigh ride, long zip-line ride, etc.) entice. But flat panel TVs get only fuzzy analog pictures; large hallways amplify partying/arguing/cleaning both day and night; low water pressure necessitates patient double flushes; groaning floorboards constantly remind the room above is occupied. In short, a number of compromises threaten the legitimacy of the high rates. Our second visit, probably the last.

Room Tip: Top floor, back to enhance view and peacefulness.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nocostcritique
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is the perfect winter destination if you want to just stow your car and spend several days having other people take care of your every whim. There is a shuttle that will take you everywhere on the hotel property as well as to the Bretton Woods ski area. If you just want to cross country ski and/or show shoe, you can do that without leaving the hotel grounds - and there is a nordic ski center on the property where you can rent gear, get trail maps, sit by the fire, buy hot chocolate and snacks, and buy outdoor clothing. Also highly recommended: the dog sled ride (take the 20 min ride in the afternoon for maximum warmth) and the sleigh ride.

Inside the hotel there is a great spa with tons of treatments to choose from. It is very luxurious and even includes a his and her lounge with whirlpool. There is also a very nice indoor pool (unfortunately often full of screaming toddlers, so it is difficult to do laps) and an outdoor pool which is kept open all year round (90 degree water). Plus there is a little skating rink on the roof of the spa/conference center building!

If you can afford it, get the slightly larger room which is very well appointed with a writing desk and 2 easy chairs. I was in room 309 and it had a fabulous view of Mt. Washington. The rooms and adjoining bathrooms are spotlessly clean. The bathrooms come with an ample supply of Egyptian cotton towels and lots of toiletries. The rooms can be noisy with clanging radiators and people in the hallway, so pack your earplugs just in case.

The best part of this hotel is the service. Everyone seems to be just thrilled to attend to your every need. They hire people from all over the world and it appears that these international employees are very eager to make your stay as perfect as possible.

The food at the hotel can be a bit disappointing at times. I would not recommend ordering food in the Rosemont Room, or, if you do, order something simple like the cheese plate. I found that the food was either lukewarm or not very good or both. The pizza ressembled the pizza you can buy in the supermarket freezer section. On the other hand, you can have a very good meal at the hotel dining room, Stickneys, or the Bretton Arms Inn. The chefs can get a bit too precious sometimes - trying to emulate an upscale urban restaurant - and they don't quite pull it off. But if you stick to standard fare - broiled or grilled meat or fish, anything with a cream sauce, salads - you should be quite happy. The wine list in the hotel dining room and at the Bretton Arms Inn is excellent. Lots to choose from by the glass or bottle.

This is not an inexpensive place to stay and there are few options to economize (no fridge or micro in the room). The breakfast buffet is $20 per person and there is nowhere else to eat breakfast. However, if you are spending the day outdoors, I recommend that you spend the money and eat heartily - there is much to choose from and most is of good quality (baked goods seem to be their only downfall). Then just grab a cheap snack for lunch because dinner is going to set you back a fair amount. I would budget at least $500 per couple per day, and maybe more since you will also be doing a lot of tipping.

In summary, this is the perfect place to pamper yourself in the middle of winter. Yes, it will cost quite a bit, but you will get your money's worth. Be sure to make reservations for dining and activities through the hotel concierge before you arrive, if possible. The dining rooms and the spa can get booked up on the weekends.

Room Tip: Get the larger room if you can afford it. 309 is very nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Jackson
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!