“LOVE this hotel!!!”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We went for my birthday in November 2011, and the hotel is just beautiful. We took advantage of the spa, they lent us one of their New sporty Volvo's to use for the day. The chef's were in the lobby building a life sided gingerbread house. We ended each night with adult hot chocolate sitting by either the outside fire our gigantic indoor fire places. Everything was first class. The America's Club at Kohler used to be my favorite. This is definitely my favorite now. The lobster Mac & cheese had was FILLED with lobster and large pieces of claw, etc. Even did a moonlight hike. All the luxury's of a top hotel with the setting of woods and mountains.
When we arrived, they recommended the rose room to watch the sunset - so gorgeous. Floor to ceiling windows with an amazing view of Mt. Washington.

Only drawback, our room was a little small - but didn't really spend much time in it. Spa, Cave Bar, various bars - all fabulous. The hotel looks like that of the Shining - but none of the fear. Awesome!

Room Tip: If you have any issues with your room, be sure to tell the desk. Also, join the Omni Rewards. They...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,885)

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My family stayed at the resort this past weekend, which was our second time visiting the hotel (past stay was in July 2012). On both of our visits a fire alarm went off in the middle of the night where all guests had to evacuate the hotel and wait for about 40 minutes before we could return to our rooms. This past weekend it occurred at 1am and the previous time it was 5am. The first time I thought we were just unlucky, but after this happened a second time I began to inquire with hotel staff and people familiar with the hotel and I was told that this is not an infrequent event - they seem to have an overly sensitive alarm that triggers easily without there being a fire - examples I was given was dust, cigarette smoke, etc can set it off.

I spoke to the hotel director the next morning and he gave me the party line that safety is their first concern and that this doesn't happen that often..... this runs contrary to the information I received from staff at the hotel and our own experience. If the hotel wants to respond to this post with statistics of how many fire alarms have gone off in the last couple of years and not marketing spin, I think it would be useful to potential guests to understand the risk.

By the way, I wrote an email to Omni several days ago to voice my complaint and I received no follow-up response.

Other than this not so minor issue we liked the hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Mainer40827
OmniManager_1, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience you endured, and we will be responding directly to the email you filed with the Omni corporate office earlier. As you did enjoy the hotel itself, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Bretton Woods again in the future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Despite my one star rating, the hotel property and surroundings are special. This could be a great hotel. Unfortunately, issues with service/cleanliness/safetey completely ruined our experience.

1. Room cleanliness. When we first surveyed our room and bathroom we immediately noticed the bathroom was not clean. In fact, there was fecal matter on and around the toilet, including the handle to flush the toilet. We called the front desk and after about 20 minutes staff visited our room, apologized for the issue, and cleaned the bathroom. The response was acceptable, although I expected a follow up call from the front desk, but the existence of fecal matter was unacceptable, especially for an upscale Omni.

2. The Fire Alarm & Lack of Evacuation Plan. During our second night's stay, we woke up at 2am to the sound of a fire alarm. We immediately bundled up our young children to go outside. When we opened the door to our room, there were no staff in the halls and no direction as to where we should go. Just confused guests. So, we proceeded down the closest fire exist stairs. When we reached the bottom of the stairs and opened the door, it was pitch black. Just snow and trees. No lights. There was no visible path to take our children to the front of the hotel -- a few other guests apparently did trudge through the snow. We were basically stuck in the freezing cold. Not wanting to climb the stairs back into the hotel -- in case there was a real fire -- we waited in the stairwell with the door propped open. No one from the hotel ever came to the door. One of us eventually decided to return to our room to get our cell phones and some blankets. There was still no staff in the halls. No one was checking the rooms or giving directions. So, once we had our cell phones, we called the front desk and said we were stuck in a stairwell with our young children. The front desk said it was crazy up there and we would need to call back. We were stunned. A little later the fire alarm stopped and we called back to the front desk to ask if it was safe to return to our rooms (it wasn't even clear to us that fire trucks had visited the hotel). The front desk said they didn't know what had happened. Feeling unsafe to go back to sleep, we decided to return to our room and pack our things. When we got back to our room, there was still no staff in the halls. No one was checking the rooms or giving any explanation as to what happened. Amazingly, the hotel seemed to have no fire safety/evacuation plan, or at least didn't implement one. So, at 3am, we called the front desk and said we were checking out.

3. The Hotel's Response. None. When we called the front desk, they again offered no explanation or apology. They simply said they'd send up a bell person. When we arrived downstairs, the lobby was deserted. There was no one at the front desk. There was no one to give us a folio of our stay. The bellman simply commented that it would be a long trip back to the NYC area and warned us to watch out for moose. Despite these bizarre events, we did not receive a follow up call or email from the hotel that day or the next day or ever. The hotel simply charged our credit card without even giving us a bill. So, I called Omni corporate and reported the issue. The Omni rep was friendly and understanding and told me the hotel GM would call me back within 48 hours. Nonetheless, I haven't heard from the GM. And I still don't have a folio of my charges. Throughout this ordeal, there was probably about 10 things Omni could have done to make these issues a little more palatable and they haven't done any of them.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank JC S

We are terribly sorry for the inconveniences you endured during your recent stay. The issues you were faced with regarding cleanliness and the unfortunate fire alarm are not acceptable by our standards, and we will be investigating all of our procedures thoroughly. Thank you for your detailed feedback. We have received your contact information from the corporate office and will be in touch with you soon to discuss in further detail. Thank you for choosing the Omni Mount Washington Hotel, and we hope that you will give us the privilege of meeting all of your expectations during a future visit.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We (6 Adults + one 4year old) spent 3 nights at this beautiful historical hotel from 1Jan to 4Jan 2013. Although we arrived at a busy time of day, Valet, Check-In and Bags were taken care of promptly and smoothly. Our King-Size Bedroom with walk-in-closet on the 3rd floor was spacious and the updated bathroom was very clean. The bed was very comfortable!
Taking in the atmosphere, design and unique furnishing of the hotel itself makes you think of the phrase: "Once upon a time...". Very tasteful, cozy and comfortable place. And even though the Hotel seems very large it is personable. My husband and I did not ski, but did the tubing which was lots of fun. Another couple with the 4 year old enjoyed tubing, the dog-sleighing and swimming in the indoor pool. The Outdoor Pool was open as well and every now and then you would see some daring people climb out of the pool, but with 20 below it was a bit chilly for our taste. :) There is a shuttle to the Nordic Center Ski Lift, however my husband and I walked it in about 25 minutes.Take the lift to "Latitude 44" to warm up with Hot-Cocoa and a Shot of Baileys. - Or get the "Michael" mix: Baileys with Hot Cocoa! :) Thanks Michael! The Breakfast Buffet at the Hotel was outstanding!! Everything your heart would desire and more. Always beautifully set up and always hot. Loved all the variety of fresh fruit. For Dinner I highly recommend "Stickneys" on the patio Level of the Omni. Simply put: Excellent! The food, the atmosphere and service. Even the Steaks were cooked to perfection. Just be prepared that you may have to wait about 30-40 minutes for your dinner to be prepared. Did not bother us, we sipped our beverages and enjoyed good conversation while waiting.
Two things I would say did not impress me: The first evening we dined at "The Dining Room" and everything, really everything was horrible. The staff, the waiting (3and1/2hours until done dining), the food (cold). However to their defense, the reason for the disaster was explained to us the next day: The kitchen of "Stickneys" had totally failed, meaning all of the guests who had reservations there were dining along with everyone else in "The Dining Room". So the Reservations turned from 100 to 300 Diners in one Restaurant in a very short amount of time. The kitchen help and waiters of "Stickneys" helped in "The Dining Room" but were totally lost seeing that the menu is different and the kitchen is different. So it was a crazy night for everyone there! However, we did not "re-try" the "Dining Room" and stuck with "Stickneys". Also, I am assuming there are lots of Interns staffed at the Hotel: I asked a young lady for a fork and she handed it to me fork side down, meaning her hand was all over the fork. I mean, who does that? Also, although we had used the glasses in the room for wine and beverages, they were never replaced - they just sat there for 3 days - dirty! - Also, if you are a light sleeper, be prepared to be awakened by the radiator between 3 and 4am.
Overall though - we had a great time and may go back some day. Maybe in the Summer or the Fall next time.

Room Tip: We had front-side view, but the backside view of Mount Washington is prettier.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Babybear13
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a great time at the Omni Mount Washington during the Christmas holiday season. My wife and I enjoyed the brand new spa along with all its amenities. The spa menu was very unique and memorable. The dining facilities were great and there were lots of activities that kept us busy during the holidays.

Room Tip: Best Views in New Hampshire!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013

From the minute you walk in you know that you are in a special place. There is a bell captain in the lobby to greet you and help you check in. The expansive entry hallway has a luxurious old world feel, and down each of the hallways are stewards armed with a smile and the time to chat or show you the way to your next destination.

Outside there is a beautiful viranda deck surrounded by mountain views in every direction and staffed to make your stay in this mountain wonderland as relaxing as possible.Inside their are 3 restaurants that give you such a wide array of choices that you need go nowhere else. My favorite was Stickneys the casual lower lever restaurant, relaxing, and enjoyable. To sum up my experience, I felt that The Mt. Washington Hotel gave us the pampered luxury of a bygone era. The sort of treatment the Rockefellers or Vanderbilts might have enjoyed.

Stayed November 2012,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RJ B
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We enjoyed every minute of our 2 day stay at the Mount Washington. The service is superb! The views are breathtaking. The food is very good. The sleigh ride was extremely romantic! We would do it again in a minute. It was my "60th" ,so we did the canopy zip line tour, that was incredible...Do not miss this spectacular vacation!!!

Room Tip: Corner suites with a great view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!