“Beautiful hotel with great service”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Montclair, New Jersey
“Beautiful hotel with great service”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I recently visited the omni mount Washington for a few days. The hotel is beautiful. We had a small but cozy room with a mountain view. There is lots to do in the hotel itself, a few restaurants and nice grounds to explore. We ate at stickney's for Lunch and also had drinks there one night after dinner. The lunch was good, not terrific, but good. We also had breakfast and dinner at the bretton arms inn, the food was good at each meal and the service was also good. The one negative I would say about our dinner at the bretton arms was that some people were extremely casually dressed (i.e. jeans) which I thought was annoying since my husband and I were dressed up and it is a fairly expensive restaurant. I think the hotel should require more formal dress for dinner. There isn't too much to do in the immediate area- at least in November- so you have to be comfortable just relaxing in the hotel if you go during this time. Overall, we had a great experience at the omni mount Washington hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We arrived late and it was not until we woke on the Sunday morning were we aware of the scaffolding and renovation work going on outside our room. Luckily we were moved to a room overlooking Mount Washington and the golf course the next morning however we had to pay the full rate of I think US 279 and they had the cheek to ask for an additional US 25 resort fee for that night. This was not a good start to our stay at this hotel. Yes it is historic and the atmosphere - in places- is warm and inviting. Not so the hotel staff who seem to be robotic and not genuinely interested in providing a service.

Room Tip: Arrive in daylight and be prepared not to accept a room where the rennovation work is clearly visibl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SurreyConnie
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We came to New Hampshire just to stay at the Mount Washington Resort. The hotel is beautiful and the history is amazing. Walking around the grounds is really fun too. We went in June and the weather was gorgeous along with our terrific view of Mount Washington. I love how they kept it looking like it always had. Great staff and comfy rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
München
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and we had a wonderful time.
The hotel and its surroundings (Mount Washington) are absolutely stunning. In terms of architecture, it is the most beautiful and charming old hotel I’ve seen. Actually, I shouldn't give this hotel a 5 stars rating, as there were a few things we were not that happy with, but l cannot help it, as this hotel is just so special and really one of a kind.

The common areas of the hotel are beautiful with the charm of the early 1900s. There is the spacious columned great hall with a huge fireplace and huge mouse heads on the wall, a lovely long veranda with a beautiful view, the grand staircase all of them reminiscent of an era long gone by.

Our room was beautifully decorated and a decent size. However it was not as clean as we expected (dust behind the bed, hair in the bathtub). When we arrived the room was soo cold that it took several hours to heat it up. (I really don’t know what’s the point to turn on the air conditioning to full power when it is cold and rainy outside).

We got a great room rate, but it didn’t include breakfast. But instead of booking the breakfast in the main dining room (I read it here on tripadvisor that it is not really worth it), we just got some fresh muffins and bagels from the hotel’s pastry shop on the ground level. Also the hotel offers free coffee in the morning, a wonderful free perk!
We had lunch and dinner at Stickneys every day, a casual restaurant on the ground level. Service was excellent and accommodating, and the food was good.

I didn’t go to the spa, but used the indoor pool which reeked of chlorine, which turned out to be a big mistake. After swimming for about 30 minutes my face really started to burn, I had to stop and run upstairs to take shower. The staff uses an excessive amount of chlorine for the pool – this is realy unhealthy.

There is complimentary wifi throughout the hotel (which actually works).
The hotel offers complimentary hotel history tours twice a day. Our guide was amazing, he told us funny details about the life of Mrs. Stickney’s, the Bretton Woods conference and hotel ghosts, don’t miss it!

As the hotel is huge, it has a huge staff. The bellboys and the restaurant staff were really friendly and attentive, but the front desk staff was not. The greeting at check in was cold and it felt like the staff couldn’t care less that we were staying at the hotel (same at checkout).

In terms of activities the hotel offers all kinds of different activities. We did the horseback riding. It wasn’t anything spectacular, its more for small kids. What we enjoyed the most was walking around the hotel grounds or just sitting around in the great hall with our computers or a good book (felt a bit like time has stopped) .

In all, staying at the hotel was a wonderful vacation highlight. The Mount Washington Resort really left a lasting impression on us. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary_Muc
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This historic hotel has gone through many renovations. The room updates have kept the historic feel of the hotel. My room unfortunately felt like I was visiting my grandmothers house , not a luxury resort. The food was mediocre. the soup was warm, the choices not four star.
The new wing built with the spa and conference center are beautiful.
The views of the mountains are spectacular from all rooms. The cave lounge is fun to have a cocktail in. Stories are the hotel is haunted. Come see for yourself.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Middlespahr
Montreal
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I loved this hotel for a fall get away in the mountains, with its warm atmosphere enhanced by the lobby fireplace and wonderful staff (everyone, from the front desk to the waiters, concierge, elevator attendant, and so on). We had the queen room, because the kings were booked; it was very, very large, and nicely decorated. Was NOT "tired" at all, as another reviewer mentioned. The staff delivered a complementary bottle of champagne to our room, commemorating our wedding anniversary, a nice touch! Service in the bar and dining room was outstanding. A nice surprise was the jazzy trio on piano, bass and drums in the dining room, Mid-century "shmooze" music... very cool. Breakfast was outstanding and now, here is why we gave the hotel a 4 instead of 5: Surprisingly, dinner was just "OK". The menu is very attractive but the end result is, well, ....OK. My wife had the trout and I chose the duck. My wife says I am a much better amateur chef, and then again, our standards are very high coming from a "restaurant" city and our many travels throughout the world. Comparing the dinner to that of The Balsams, further north in New Hampshire, the Omni hotel and rooms are significantly more upscale; on the otherhand, the dinner at The Balsams dinner scored 10/10 when we were there and the Omni Mount Washignton dinner scores 6 to 7 on 10 (and my wife says I'm generous). But still a very, very pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: As we always do, ask for a room in a quiet location with a nice view, preferably "high up"...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
Reviewed November 3, 2012

To enjoy the ambience of the resort, consider that it opened in 1902, and you are walking around the verandah dressed in your finest. The views of the golf course and Mt Washington are great.

The rooms are small by modern standards, but you won't be spending much time there.

I think one of the elevators is an original and so is the operator.

Room Tip: Get a view of the golf course
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Jackson
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!