“Gorgeous resort, relaxing retreat - we'll be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Mount Washington Resort

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Boston, MA
“Gorgeous resort, relaxing retreat - we'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

This is a beautiful old grand hotel and it's been kept up very well! We had an amazing view of Mt. Washington, the golf course and the back lawn from our room. The room was modern and clean, and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on, with down comforter and pillows. The A/C worked well, although it was a little noisy. I agree with reviews that say the bathroom is strangely laid out, with the toilet jammed between the bathtub and the wall, but it's really not a problem. The outdoor pool was nice to sit around, but I'd recommend the warmer indoor pool for swimming. Yes, it's pricey, but you know that going in. If you're looking for a bargain hotel, this is not for you. Instead, come and enjoy the luxury (and the price) and have a great weekend in the mountains!

We ate at Stickneys, which was really delicious and a nicer restaurant than I anticipated. If the weather allows, you can eat outside on the porch. We didn't try the fancy restaurant upstairs. The $20 buffet breakfast is amazing, and SO WORTH the money! There was an omelette station, tons of fresh fruit, all the regular breakfast dishes, freshly baked bread, etc... it's the best deal at the resort! We also ate one dinner at Fabyan's Station down the road. We took the hotel shuttle there and back - it was really easy to use, and we only had to wait 5 minutes for the return trip. I recommend taking the shuttle as much as possible. Fabyans had good food, but there were a ton of little kids running around, so if you're looking for a quiet, romantic dinner, stay at the hotel.

All the employees at the resort were wonderful and so nice! We were celebrating an anniversary, and they brought us a dessert on the house, on a plate with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate! It was so thoughtful and a real nice touch at a nice hotel. I feel like good service is increasingly hard to find, and everyone at the Mt. Washington resort was just so nice and thoughtful, they really made the weekend.

We also did the 3-hour Canopy Tour at the ski mountain, and it was awesome! A really different experience. You feel completely safe, and the tour guides are so knowledgeable and well-trained, you're always in good hands, although you do go quite high up in the trees! Highly recommended! I think it would be particularly nice in the fall when the leaves are changing color.

In all, I thought this hotel was gorgeous and reminiscent of a bygone era (in all good ways). Our weekend was spent relaxing in luxury, and even with a full hotel, we felt like special guests. We plan to go back to ski in the winter, and look forward to a return trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Mt. Washington!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fenway7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

You can see why they chose this place for the 1944 conference, when 730 world leaders had to be accommodated for days to iron out new international currency agreements. The location is stunning, surrounded by forest, wilderness and mountains, and the hotel itself, renovated in 2010, is luxurious. The new heated outdoor swimming pool, with barbecue at lunch time, is idyllic. Rooms are very comfortable and service is excellent. In summer, there's an amazing zip wire system instead of ski pistes: I went only on the Williwaw racing zip myself - 20 seconds of thrills - but would recommend it: the whole canopy tour takes three hours. Temperatures are lower because of the altitude, so we enjoyed pleasant days in the low 20s C (70s F) when it was hot and humid further south.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ron F
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

Better than I expected. Amazing views, great architecture, really friendly service, comfortable rooms, lots to do, they did a good job on the rennovations in maintaining the historic character yet improving the comfort. We want to go back.

• Stayed October 2010
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank diverguy
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Amazing property. Views are breathtaking. Loved the atmosphere. Staff was well accomodating and even upgraded us to a King sized suite as an engagement present. Hard to find a more serene weekend getaway. Check out the Bretton Arms Inn for breakfast each day, delectable. Main Dining room isn't worth the cost, but for the ambiance it's nice to do once. The rest of the more laid back restaurants are fantastic as well, and the Cave is well worth a cocktail for its unique feel. Great design, though often not busy. All in all a fantastic New England resort style getaway. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kyle B
Hampton, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

A nice getaway if you get the right room and eat in the Main Dining room or Off-site. The Hotel is still a destination to visit, Tea or drinks on the veranda overlooking the Presidential Range and Mount Washington in particular can make for a wonderful and relaxing break.
Unfortunately the old lady and Omni Management are having trouble meeting expectations. From a distance, with the mountains in the background she looks as regal as ever, but up close the age is showing. The Nine Hole golf course is in really tough shape.
When booking or on arrival ask for a room at the back of the hotel, with views of the Presidential range and also not on the 3rd floor. Up there you are between the eaves of the roof and the rooms can be VERY small. Small rooms are to be expected at older hotels , but one gets the feel that these used to be maids rooms.
Dining presents a bit of a challenge, there are two main Restaurants on site, The Main Dining Room, which requires Jackets and is pretty pricey, as is Stickney’s, their more casual restaurant. The first challenge is discovering what type of food is served and an idea of pricing – Sample Menus on the web site would be a step in the right direction.
We dined at Stickney’s, it turned out to be much more casual than appeared on the web site, with VERY casual attire and crying Babies not exactly enhancing the atmosphere. The Presentation of the food was very poor, and my food was inedible. The Manager on duty handled the situation well which is more than can be said for the Senior Management who “followed up”.
When we left the hotel, the issue in my mind was over but, several days later I we received a survey by E-mail and I explained what we had endured, not looking for anything just giving some feedback I thought would be useful. This was followed by an e-mail from a hotel representative asking me to call and discuss our stay further. I took out of my day and finally managed to get hold of the Assistant Food and Beverage manager who listened, apologized, and then offered a Gold Sash Dinner to compensate for our disappointing experience. We waited a week for the details, very nice, the Package on line includes accommodation but it was unclear from the F&B Manager if his offer included accommodation. I e-mailed back asking if a night was included – That was 10 days ago and no contact since. The answer is yes or no; it’s not that difficult and the lack of response is a worse poke in the eye than the restaurant experience and really says they do not care. Remember I went out of my way to answer the hotels questions. The offer of a “free meal” to make up for our misfortune was nice, however, it will cost us $300 for a room and will take hours to drive back to the hotel . Thanks for the thought but I don’t think so. We will not be back to Mt. Washington. Another word of caution, don’t bother completing the post stay survey. It doesn’t appear to be worth the effort.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel not the 3rd floor
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SteveJ59
OmniManager_1, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased that we were able to meet some of your expectations, and we appreciate the honest feedback on those instances where we did not. The Omni Mount Washington Hotel was built in 1902, and as you realized, the comparison with a modern structure and operation is not always 'apples to apples.' We apologize for the lack of follow-up, and we will have someone contact you directly regarding any additional compensation. Thank you, again, for choosing the Mount Washington for your recent stay, and we hope that you will reconsider and give us the privilege of welcoming you back to Bretton Woods again.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

The hotel is located at the bottom of Mt. Washington. The achitecture design of the hotel matchs the view very well. Seating by the window, having a couple of coffee, watching the magnifiscent views, ..., what do you expect more?

1 Thank XiaobaiBoston
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

I booked rooms at the Mount Washington Resort after looking at amazing images from the resort website. I couldn't image the resort itself would be that incredible, but it was even BETTER than the photos. First, every single member of the resort staff presented excellent customer service. That goes from the front desk, to the restaurants, to the bars. I wanted to book online, but found no rooms available for my dates when I finally decided to book. I called the resort direct, and the representative found a room for both nights and was able to give us a discounted family rate. We even got a room overlooking Mt Washington, which was just a spectacular view from the second floor. The room was amazing... as clean as it could possibly be and completely updated. Food in the restaurant was great. We had a local grass-fed burger that was out of this world. Walking the long hallways of the hotel, I had some flashbacks of "The Shining," but I never encountered twin girls standing in the hallway or any "REDRUM" writings on walls. I halfway expected this, because the hotel has a great deal of haunting history. Your stay isn't complete here unless you visit "the Cave" speakeasy in the basement level. This prohibition-era bar is fantastic... takes you back in time. I can't say enough about how nice it is to spend a couple of days here. The whole resort is updated, and you just about can't tell that it is over 100 years old. We also had the pleasure of playing 18 at the Mount Washington Golf Course (Donald Ross design, 1915). The views on the golf course are better than any other course I have played... and I have played a LOT of golf. We can't wait to go back up here and stay again.

3 Thank Brett D
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway
Lodge at Jackson Village
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!