“Very nice 4th of July”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Recently stayed at the Mt Washington for their 4th of July celebration. They had great fireworks and had several family activities. The central air in the hotel is a great addition and there have been some nice room renovations as compared to what was there before.
Breakfast was a bit pricy for the buffet but overall good quality . The only down side is they need to do something about all the stains on the rugs and stray flys that got into the dinning room. This seems like it should not be in such a resorts.
The room service was fair as it seemed like they would rather have you not request service on a busy weekend. We had two evenings that our sheets and trash cans did not get an emptied. The Bretton Arms we had dinner one evening excellent service and the food was good but not worth the money paid and what we compare to the past experience.
The bed in the room was a pillow top and had trouble sleeping on it. In general the hotel is a great family experience with many nice ammeities. Some things like food and drinks were very pricy especially for a holiday weekend. The spa was pricy but emmaculate and the service was pretty good. Again your on vacation so your going to pay ! Drinks very very expensive with tax and gratuity look at spending $10 per person !
Stickney reasonable price and great pot roast. Waiters were a bit over zealous but would rather have this than a poor waiter. Average to good food . Fabians food lower price and less quality. The sweet shop a great place to get coffee and small deserts and not too bad for price.
The pool indoors looked like it needed a cleaning. To be fair the hotel was packed and extremely busy so hard to keep up. In the gift shop very little for reasonable souviners. Could go to the AMC and get better T shirts and NH things than at the hotel.
Service of the staff in general excellent and friendly.
The weekend BBQ was good and the food was what you would expect at a family BBQ.
Very nice family event with the "presidental " speakers show with FDR and Abe Lincoln. Nice touch to the weekend with the staff dressing up as well and the reenactors and their informative history.
In general a nice weekend. But next time doing the condos more of a value and can safe a little money and BYOB it is cheaper !

Room Tip: Look at the condo options
There are newer reviews for Omni Mount Washington Resort

Reviewed July 4, 2011

This was our family's first time to the hotel, but not our first experience with an Omni property. The hotel and the views are breathtaking outside and the grandeur inside is just as impressive. Where the hotel missed was at check in. I understand that it was a holiday weekend and that getting an early check in might not happen at 1:15pm, but I figured we arrived early and we should ask -especially since we saw others being checked in at that time. We were told that our room was not available yet and to come back in about 20 minutes. When we came back in 20 mns we were told that it was still not ready and to come back. This went on until 3pm when we were told our room was ready. Please note that when we had checked back around 2:40 we were told by Matt that the room was under a "101 point inspection".I find this funny since we got to the room to find a couple of hairpins on the floor and butterfly stickers on th back of the desk hair. It felt like since we were only staying in a delux room that we were not important enough to get an early check in - not even a 1/2 hr before the normal check in time.

The activities were great and kept the kids busy even on a rainy Sunday. The North vs South water balloon fight, the firework display, cookie and up cake decorating, and swimming in the rain in the heated pool were all highlights for the kids. We had dinner in the hotel's formal restaurant "The Dining Room" Saturday evening and were very pleased with our service! Megan and Noel rock! thank you for being so attentive and friendly! The food was just okay nothing that made us take note. The Dining Room made up for this at their lovely buffet breakfast. Sunday evening's dinner at the less formal Stickney's Restaurant offered more relaxed fare and was good. All in all we were quite pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: Room 314 is said to be haunted!
1  Thank TessaU
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I have been reading the negative reviews about this place on Tripadvisor and they're scaring me about the pricey food, poor service and limited activities. I'm taking my inlaws for a week in July and offered to pay for everything as a good son-in-law should do (and they do like to eat). I've been getting cold feet that I may have to take on a second mortgage to pay for our trip so I decided to email the resort and ask for a main dining room dinner menu. Something that I could use to "plan" out how much we can truely spend there and how much I'll need to finance. They didn't respond to either of two emails. Next I called. No such luck. I think the person I was talking to was in another state anyway. Next I thought I'd contact their concierge or activities planners thinking they'd surely help to find me more inexpensive dining options but their link on the web site disappeared. Strange. How'd they do that? Did I dream it was there before? Anyway, I'm upping the limit on my credit card before we leave and I'll keep a stiff upper lip while ma and pa eat my retirement money while I wear my newly purchased $350 dinner jacket and hope that's not what four plates of spaghetti are gonna cost me... I've got my flip video camera so I'll take some pics of the menu and movies of service and the food delivered and post for all to make judgement when I return. Looking forward but also nervous...

1  Thank JamesAKarr
OmniManager_1, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

We are sorry to hear that you have had some difficulty contacting us here at the resort to get answers to your questions prior to your arrival. Omni Mount Washington Resort offers over half a dozen traditional restaurants, plus additional lounge and snack outlets. As far as activities, we feature golf, tennis, a canopy tour, a climbing wall, a full-service spa, mountain biking, horseback riding, scenic lift rides, rock climbing, multiple pools, a fitness center, daily family activities and more. We like to think we have something for everyone. To help you plan your vacation, our Activities Concierge Manager, Larry Berg, will be contacting you directly to answer all of your questions and make any and all reservations, tee times, etc. for you. Thank you for choosing Omni Mount Washington Resort for your special occasion - we look forward to greeting you when you arrive.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I truly enjoyed our experience at this grand old hotel. The staff was so helpful and friendly and the room was very nice. We did eat at Fabian's and that was not a great experience. The menu was fair and the food was that, at best.
The hotel was such a wonderful experience and the old, grandiose nature of the property was exceptional. The only hotel that comes somewhat close is the Hotel Del Coronado.
Keep up the good work at this wonderful treasure!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Porsche_8
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We absolutely loved this resort and it was perfect for us as we were traveling with a four year old. At check in, and we're still in awe of the beauty of the place, the valet quickly whisked our things out of the car and gave my son a backpack filled with goodies (toys and a few Twizzlers - he was over the moon). Check in was quick and easy, and as we'd paid a bargain price for a Queen room, the receptionist offered us a rollaway bed so we didn't have to share with our kid. We spent the afternoon swimming in the pools while looking up at Mt. Washington (pools being the outdoor main pool and the smaller kiddie pool). We also just roamed around the resort for quite some time. I was given a booklet on the resort's history so we did our own walking tour. We dined at Stickney's and were very pleased with the food. Upon return to our room, the staff delivered milk and cookies to my son.
The room was small but we paid only $130 and we weren't in it much anyway. Bathroom was large. View was so-so but we were happy because we paid so little. There was still a mountain view, but just a small one! Beds, robes, towels were all plush.
The next morning, we rose early, I enjoyed my free room-service coffee, and we went for a swim. The flies were so bad though that we tried the indoor pool. It too was amazing - perfect temperature and only one other swimmer. We then picked up our complimentary Volvo S60 (yes - they'll lend you a Volvo for free) which beat our rental car hands down. We took the Volvo up Mt. Washington and had a blast.
Don't miss the elevators - with actual human operators! They even let my son "drive" the elevator!
Bottom line - beautiful place, clean, great service, kid friendly without being cheesy (even in Stickney's). We were sad to go! The only nuisances were the black flies outside, which the hotel couldn't control of course. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The Mount Washington Hotel is one of the most historically significant hotels in the country. It is also an architectural masterpiece situated in a beautiful mountain valley. No matter what time of year the scenery is amazing and there plenty of activities to amuse adults and children. Our room was typical Omni, well appointed and very luxurious. We stayed in a suite that feature a private staircase leading to the room. The suite featured a well-furnished living room that was at the back of the hotel with views of Mt. Washington and the golf course in the foreground. The bedroom was in the from of the building and looked across at Bretton Woods ski area. The bedding was high quality and the mattress very comfortable. If I had to complain about something it would be the A/C unit. The fan on the bedroom unit was rather loud even on low speed. I know that retrofitting A/C systems in an old hotel is a challenge and I can live with this. On the plus side all of our windows could open to the beautiful mountain air and had screens to keep out the bugs.

Room Tip: Splurge on a
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DJA1972
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent the past Easter weekend at the Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. This was our third visit to this spectacular hotel.

The hotel takes you back to an earlier century. It is a step back in time, to an Edwardian era long gone of elegance, romance and style. The MW opened in 1902. It was built by Joseph and Carolyn Stickney, and their relationship is another wonderful story for a future Trip Advisor report.

The men wear jackets for dinner. Such class. Where else doe this happen? if any of you out there think you might have lived before, in another era, visit the Mount Washington.

The meals are fabulous, the service impeccable. The ambiance is over the top.

We will return. You should go there too.

Bon Voyage.

The Wentworth
#2 of 4 in Jackson
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!