“Great Tour, Great Price”

Northern Extremes Snowmobiling - Tours
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Did the 2pm guided tour on one of the busiest days of the season on one single and one double. The tour started off a bit slow, as there was one other double sled in our group and the guys on it had no clue what they were doing. The guide handled this very well, and within 5 minutes held the group up and called another guide to come take this sled separately so to not hold up the entire 2 hour tour. He then rearranged the remaining sleds in our group so that faster people were in the front and slower ones to the back so that everyone could do the speed they were comfortable with without holding anyone behind them up. We did approx. 30 miles in our 2 hour tour, which was great given trail and weather conditions (both out of the company's control). The double sled we had was extremely comfortable (I was the passenger), and was brand new with only about 200 miles on it. Will definitely be renting from/touring with this company again.

All reviews
"views of the mountains"
"warming hut"
"first timers"

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We recently rented 8 snowmobiles from this company. In the morning they do a quick walk through on you sled and write down existing damage. Approximately 30 seconds. And then you sign. Later that day upon returning they g

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I did a four hour tour (the Mt. Washington tour) on Sunday, February 23, 2014. I was a first time rider and my husband had limited experience. It was great from booking to the end of the tour. We were able to book over the phone with ease and I was sent the paperwork in advance so we could fill it out. I had to reschedule due to weather (i.e. no snow) and they were able to accommodate us without any difficulty (though we booked for a month later, so we gave them plenty of notice).

Upon arrival the office was very busy, but we were greeted and helped as soon as possible and the check in process was very quick. Bear helped check our gear (we came prepared with appropriate clothing!) and got us sized for helmets. The Bretton Woods location is located right next to a gas station/convenience store so if you need a snack or bathroom break before you go it's right there. Before the tour we met our guide, Olin and he gave us a rundown on the sleds. I was immediately comfortable with the short lesson we had on how to use them, especially being a first timer. I chose to ride single, rather than rent a double with my husband (I wanted to drive the whole time and knew he wouldn't let me!). What a great experience! Olin did a great job stopping when necessary, checking in with each rider to make sure we were doing ok, giving people time to catch up, etc. He was very knowledgeable about the area and pointed out things along the way. We stopped along the way at a very scenic location and he took pictures for anyone that was interested and answered any and all questions we had.

About halfway through we stopped at a warming hut for a break and people could have a snack and take a bathroom break. Upon our return, we hit a few bumps (not literal!). We had one minor accident (someone rear ended another sled) which Olin took care of immediately, checked to make sure it was still safe to ride and we got right back on our way. We went back a different route than we came and were having a great time on the flat, straightaways as well as through the more curvy wooded areas.

Unfortunately our tour had one more accident, and someone in our group had a major collision. I only bring this up in my review because I think it's important to note how Northern Extremes handled this. First, we were given warnings about staying at speeds that were comfortable and within state speed limits- Olin was always aware of the entire group and stopped frequently to let those behind him catch up. I never felt pressure to go faster than I was comfortable going. I knew I would not be left behind. That being said, the throttle on those sleds is super responsive and you WANT to go fast. It's hard not to when it's so fun. But listen to their instruction and take it easy through the turns- there's a reason why they tell you to do so! After discovering that someone in our group had crashed (Olin went back to investigate why they weren't catching up), we regrouped and waited for someone from Northern Extremes to come pick up the injured party. This happened VERY quickly. They're clearly very knowledgeable about the trail system and were able to come to her aide right away. After some reshuffling of riders (due to the broken sled, I then had to double up with my husband, which I was happy to do given the circumstances!), we got back on the road to finish the tour. It was all handled very professionally and with utmost concern for the riders. All of us, not just those that were injured. We returned without any further incidents and the last part of our ride was still quite enjoyable. Another note- if you're planning on riding, rather than driving- know that it's colder when you're just riding. Even with the heated handlebars for the backseat, I was still much colder when I wasn't doing the work of driving. Bundle up!

All in all it was such a great experience and we will definitely be back, perhaps this time to rent and go on our own now that we're a little more experienced. They have a great operation, a great staff, you see amazing views, and the overall experience can't be beat!

5  Thank Deb C
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We have never snowmobiled but went for the adventure. We had purchased a tour well in advance but due to conditions we were not able to do that tour. This was not their fault but Mother Nature was not in our favor. The company did take us on a 2 hour guided tour which was a lot of fun. Beech was our guide and he was fun and informative. He would engage us to give us a break as well as point out things in nature the casual observer may not notice. I plan to return when snow is abundant to do another trip.