All reviews great room log cabin hot tub turkey white mountains my wife and i at home fire pit breakfast was delicious front door spectacular views mt washington each morning bed and breakfast new hampshire other guests excellent hosts
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Husband & I stayed here 2 nights with our 23 & 20 yo daughters, in the two least expensive rooms. The log cabin inn is beautiful. Huge logs, great views, peaceful, very comfortable and looks brand new. Everything is kept up and beautifully appointed and cared for. Carol and Mike are gracious hosts. Breakfast is great! Hot tub, firepit and close to nearby White Mountain fun. Will definitely come back and highly recommend.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the inn.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DoonerMA
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

It was our pleasure to have your family stay with us this past week, it's always great to have a mother and father share their B&B experience with their grown children. Your review mentioned the radiant heat and although it's summer right now, it's one of the best features of the Lodge. During the winter our guests remove their shoes to help keep the salt and sand off the wood floors and they get the added benefit of having toasty warm feet! And thanks for posting the photos from the back deck - even on a not so picture perfect day, the view is incredible. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future, take care.

Carol & Michael

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Thank you Mike and Carol for our stay at the lodge. The room and grounds were beautiful and your hospitality to help us through an unfortunate car situation was much appreciated. We really enjoyed our stay, which had been a well needed weekend alone. Thank you again for everything!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

We are so happy that you were able to still enjoy your getaway even with your car troubles. What good luck that you happened to find our very own fabulous mechanic and were close enough that Michael could zip down and pick you up and get you back here to the Lodge to unwind and relax and enjoy your night away. We enjoyed having you as our guests and glad that your car trouble didn't ruin your time away. Take care.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed here for our 40th Anniversary recently. This being one of the big anniversaries, we of course looked at a lot of places before we picked this one.
We were greeted by the friendly owner upon arrival and given instruction, signed an "agreement" and received our key and code for entering the lodge. The room was nice but not extravagant. Bed very comfortable. For $200 a night, I think a 20" flat screen on the wall is too small, but that's just me. Don't stay in Elk as you have quite a bit of noise as it is close to front door and main gathering room. Breakfast tasted good, but don't expect to not go away hungry unless you eat like a bird. Two tiny sausage links and "one slice of pie size" piece of blueberry something pancake. The small orange pineapple smoothy was a nice touch though. The fire pit outside looked nice but when we got dressed to go outside to sit by the fire, we noticed they only have 6 adirnodack chairs and they were all full so we went back in our room. My husband was more disappointed by this than I was. The Lodge had at least 12 staying there so I think they need to get more chairs. We tried the outdoor hot tub. It wasn't that great. The lodge itself is a very nice building and the décor pleasant. Never got to meet the wife only the husband Mike who was pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maine04015
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

We are sorry that this guest did not enjoy her special anniversary night away but we are certain that her choice of rooms contributed to this. When guests ask us which room we would recommend for such a special event, we never recommend Elk Lodge. It is one of our more basic rooms and because it is handicap accessible it is located near the entryway for access. Also we need to meet ADA requirements so the bathroom has a shower stall with drop down seats and grab bars. In addition, we cannot hang a giant LCD TV on the wall as a guest in a wheelchair could bump their head on it. The photos show the bathroom and the description lists the smaller TV. At the time that this guest called with questions, Bear Den was available which has a beautiful king bed, custom log furniture made locally, a fireplace and in-room jacuzzi, as well as an outside seating area with great mountain views and easily accessible to the fire pit. I explained the differences in the rooms and answered questions but she did not book then. She later went online and choose Elk Lodge, which was $95 less than Bear Den and least romantic room we have - not a perfect choice for your one special 40th anniversary.

As for signing an "agreement" at check-in, this guest makes it sound like we do something unusual. I have travelled all over the country for business in my prior life as well as out of the country for pleasure. I have never checked into a hospitality property (whether B&B or hotel) that doesn't have a sign-in sheet, it's standard practice. Most also require me to show my ID which of course we do not.

We're happy that they found the bed comfortable and the breakfast good, and we're sorry that she didn't feel full afterwards. I now realize that serving my orange pineapple smoothie with the blueberry soufflé pancake might not be the best choice - next time I'll put a more substantial first course with it to ensure guests are not left hungry.

Thank you for the reminder about the outside chairs. When we purchased them last year, they only had 6 that matched and it was on our plan to buy more this year. In the interim, guests always grab some of the dozen chairs right on the deck and enjoy the fire - we're sorry that you didn't feel comfortable doing the same and instead returned to your room. We felt so badly about this that today we drove over 2 hours to the vendor and picked up 4 more, so we now have 10 chairs around the fire pit (all that will fit so each couple has a couple feet of space of their own). I'll be posting a photo on our TA page tomorrow night showing the new chairs and the great fire Michael lights for our guests.

As for the hot tub, I'm not sure how to respond as it is always clean, hot and available to guests and so many of our other reviews rave about their time in the hot tub.

Thanks for the kind words about Michael being pleasant. He was happy that he could volunteer to take multiple photos around the Lodge of you both on your special day after you had mentioned that you have very few of them together - he couldn't let that slip by and again that's his way of making our guests feel special. I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you but I was in the kitchen until 10am cooking and serving guests and when I did come out and spoke to our Texas couple who were enjoying their coffee on the deck, you had returned to your room. I then had a call to take about an upcoming wedding and missed you on the way out. Being the one who handles everything on the business side of the Lodge including our weddings, I'm often having to run back into my office to answer the phone, the other times I'm busy in the kitchen making cookies for the afternoon treats or making breakfast for 18 guests that day. That's why Michael is available to all of our guests to be a great concierge and take photos of guests as he did for you - he doesn't have to be in the office at all, I cover all of that. Guests have often joked that Michael is the entertainer while I'm slaving away in the back making this place run.

So again, we're sorry that you did not enjoy your special night away but truly believe that by not choosing a special romantic room for your one special night away was a contributing factor.

Carol

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed in the turkey suite. Very nice but over priced . Could hear other patrons in the room above us. Also a/c unit not that great. Never met or even seen Carol, the other half of the inkeepers. Beautiful views.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holly j
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

When we receive an OK review from a guest, Michael and I get together to try and figure out if we could have done anything differently to help these guests have a great night away. Michael couldn't remember this guest and there is no one named Holly listed on any reservation. We did however have a reservation in WIld Turkey during June that had only the man's name and he was from Mass so perhaps that's it. If so, these guests arrived at 7pm and Michael checked them in for their one night stay. He does all check-ins at the Lodge in the evening, giving me some time to spend with our kids. These guests went to the room they booked Whitetail, the least expensive. Shortly thereafter, they asked to see Wild Turkey, the most expensive, and asked to be upgraded at a discounted price. Michael accommodated them as the room was empty and they checked into their room for the evening.

If a guest was loud above Wild Turkey, we understand that the guests wouldn't be happy. I myself have stayed at places and wondered just what the guests above us or beside us were thinking behaving so poorly -- we are however unable to police what guests do in their room and have found that some people just don't know how much noise they are making. But in 9 years, I've rarely had a guest complain about any noise above Wild Turkey. As for the air conditioner, the contractors put in the wrong window in WIld Turkey which wasn't noticed until after construction ended. A regular AC unit does not fit so we found a high BTU floor unit that is quiet and cools very well. This is the first time in 9 years that we've ever heard a complaint about this unit and have actually had a few couples mention they loved it because it kept the room so comfortable.

While I try to meet every guest who stays at the Lodge, it doesn't always work out that way. It's not a slight to anyone and I know that Michael has things covered. Sometimes I'm not here like twice in the past month when I've had to attend a funeral in Mass or go out of town for a family event for a few days. Sometimes my kids have events and I'm the designated driver as neither has their license yet (this is especially true during basketball season when I'm a glorified taxi for them). There are times when guests check in late and I'm finally off the clock after starting at 6:30am and I have time to spend chilling with my daughter -- Michael does all evening check-ins and gives me this time. And in the morning, I'm the cook so from 6:30 am to 9:45am, I'm in the kitchen. Everything is done that morning and there's lot of prep time. Once breakfast starts at 8:30, I'm back there cooking and plating for up to 18 guests so I never get out of the kitchen before 10am. So if a guest eats early and heads out for the day or is a one night stay like these guests, then they are gone before I get a chance to meet them. Again, I try to never have this happen but it occasionally does.

So when you're reading this, please note that this is not the typically experience guests have at Bear Mountain Lodge - we have almost 400 excellent reviews and that's what we strive for everyday we're welcoming guests into our Home!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

This lodge is absolutely beautiful! From the second you pull down the wooded driveway and the lodge appears out of the woods you are in awe of the wilderness surroundings. The lodge itself is a magnificent log cabin with a back deck that has a clear view of the mountains, highlighting Mt Washington. The rooms are comfortable and clean would be an understatement! Who ever does the housekeeping is fantastic! The inn keepers Mike and Carol are super friendly and very knowledgeable. Mike told of some hidden gems in the north woods that turned out to be stunning and unforgettable. I will tell everyone about this lodge. Oh and breakfast was unbelievable! No simple coffee and muffin at this place, popovers with asiago cheese and egg one day, French toast with orange the next. Outstanding place, a must see

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

When Michael and I walked the land to layout where the Lodge was going to be placed, we tried to plan the driveway so that it created just that moment you described - when you turn the corner and pass through the trees and see the Lodge for the first time - many guests telling us all they could say is WOW. I remember you guys sitting out on the deck enjoying yourselves before heading out to dinner and taking in the view to Mt. Washington on that clear evening. Our excavator was very patient 10 years ago with Michael as he set the pins for the location of the prow so guests would get the best view of Mt. Washington - I'm glad he was patient and Michael was persistent before they began digging for the foundation - they both got it just right.

I'm always trying to create new breakfast dishes, but I have to say that the egg puffs and orange french toast are always guest favorites so I don't think I'll ever be taking those off the menu. Thanks again for the great review and we're happy to have had you as our guests.