All reviewsgreat roomlog cabinhot tubturkeywhite mountainsmy wife and iat homefire pitbreakfast was deliciousfront doorspectacular viewsmt washingtoneach morningbed and breakfastnew hampshireother guestsexcellent hosts
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed in the turkey suite. Very nice but over priced . Could hear other patrons in the room above us. Also a/c unit not that great. Never met or even seen Carol, the other half of the inkeepers. Beautiful views.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holly j
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

When we receive an OK review from a guest, Michael and I get together to try and figure out if we could have done anything differently to help these guests have a great night away. Michael couldn't remember this guest and there is no one named Holly listed on any reservation. We did however have a reservation in WIld Turkey during June that had only the man's name and he was from Mass so perhaps that's it. If so, these guests arrived at 7pm and Michael checked them in for their one night stay. He does all check-ins at the Lodge in the evening, giving me some time to spend with our kids. These guests went to the room they booked Whitetail, the least expensive. Shortly thereafter, they asked to see Wild Turkey, the most expensive, and asked to be upgraded at a discounted price. Michael accommodated them as the room was empty and they checked into their room for the evening.

If a guest was loud above Wild Turkey, we understand that the guests wouldn't be happy. I myself have stayed at places and wondered just what the guests above us or beside us were thinking behaving so poorly -- we are however unable to police what guests do in their room and have found that some people just don't know how much noise they are making. But in 9 years, I've rarely had a guest complain about any noise above Wild Turkey. As for the air conditioner, the contractors put in the wrong window in WIld Turkey which wasn't noticed until after construction ended. A regular AC unit does not fit so we found a high BTU floor unit that is quiet and cools very well. This is the first time in 9 years that we've ever heard a complaint about this unit and have actually had a few couples mention they loved it because it kept the room so comfortable.

While I try to meet every guest who stays at the Lodge, it doesn't always work out that way. It's not a slight to anyone and I know that Michael has things covered. Sometimes I'm not here like twice in the past month when I've had to attend a funeral in Mass or go out of town for a family event for a few days. Sometimes my kids have events and I'm the designated driver as neither has their license yet (this is especially true during basketball season when I'm a glorified taxi for them). There are times when guests check in late and I'm finally off the clock after starting at 6:30am and I have time to spend chilling with my daughter -- Michael does all evening check-ins and gives me this time. And in the morning, I'm the cook so from 6:30 am to 9:45am, I'm in the kitchen. Everything is done that morning and there's lot of prep time. Once breakfast starts at 8:30, I'm back there cooking and plating for up to 18 guests so I never get out of the kitchen before 10am. So if a guest eats early and heads out for the day or is a one night stay like these guests, then they are gone before I get a chance to meet them. Again, I try to never have this happen but it occasionally does.

So when you're reading this, please note that this is not the typically experience guests have at Bear Mountain Lodge - we have almost 400 excellent reviews and that's what we strive for everyday we're welcoming guests into our Home!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

This lodge is absolutely beautiful! From the second you pull down the wooded driveway and the lodge appears out of the woods you are in awe of the wilderness surroundings. The lodge itself is a magnificent log cabin with a back deck that has a clear view of the mountains, highlighting Mt Washington. The rooms are comfortable and clean would be an understatement! Who ever does the housekeeping is fantastic! The inn keepers Mike and Carol are super friendly and very knowledgeable. Mike told of some hidden gems in the north woods that turned out to be stunning and unforgettable. I will tell everyone about this lodge. Oh and breakfast was unbelievable! No simple coffee and muffin at this place, popovers with asiago cheese and egg one day, French toast with orange the next. Outstanding place, a must see

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

When Michael and I walked the land to layout where the Lodge was going to be placed, we tried to plan the driveway so that it created just that moment you described - when you turn the corner and pass through the trees and see the Lodge for the first time - many guests telling us all they could say is WOW. I remember you guys sitting out on the deck enjoying yourselves before heading out to dinner and taking in the view to Mt. Washington on that clear evening. Our excavator was very patient 10 years ago with Michael as he set the pins for the location of the prow so guests would get the best view of Mt. Washington - I'm glad he was patient and Michael was persistent before they began digging for the foundation - they both got it just right.

I'm always trying to create new breakfast dishes, but I have to say that the egg puffs and orange french toast are always guest favorites so I don't think I'll ever be taking those off the menu. Thanks again for the great review and we're happy to have had you as our guests.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

This was our 2nd stay at the lodge and once again Mike & Carol exceeded our expectations. It was just as clean and beautiful as we remembered from our last visit, and the view just as beautiful in the Summer as it is in the Winter. We like it here because it's quiet with excellent service and wonderful views. Carol's cooking is to die for (afternoon cookies are a hit!) and they were nice enough to accomodate my husband's request for no eggs at breakfast. Mike is always on top of things and always available to answer any questions or help you out with your plans for the day. Can't think of a place I've ever stayed at that is so well run, clean and comfortable. We will be back for sure the next time we are planning another stay in NH!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Misha515

The greatest compliment innkeepers get is to have guests return because they've enjoyed their stay. And to see the words "Wouldn't stay anywhere else" is awesome. We are happy to accommodate dietary restrictions and as before you let us know ahead of time which is great in helping us plan. We look forward to having you stay with us again next time your in the area.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and I wanted a romantic getaway in the mountains for our 20th anniversary, and after spending a few days thoroughly researching the area we kept coming back to the beautiful Bear Mountain Lodge website. Reading the reviews here sealed the deal -- and we definitely made the right choice.

While just a few miles away from I-93, the lodge is set far back from the road and feels like it's completely isolated. The building is a beautiful log cabin style lodge that looks completely at home in the natural terrain. The rooms are large, clean, and rustic in feel, while still full of modern conveniences. Our room had a gas fireplace, a steam shower, high ceilings, and comfortable bedding -- and a view of Mount Washington.

We stayed for three nights, and fell in love with the view, the bird songs in the mornings, and the peace and quiet at night. Michael and Carol are wonderfully suited to their roles here; she keeps the place running smoothly while he entertains the guests. At different times they each helped us decide on activities and made sure we got the most out of our trip.

The food is excellent, too -- we enjoyed a variety of breakfast dishes designed to satisfy without leaving us overstuffed. Coffee and tea were available around the clock, and fresh cookies or other treats were out every afternoon.

From breakfast conversation with fellow guests to a quiet evening in the hot tub under a passing rain shower, we'll always remember our time at the lodge during our special weekend. We hope to return soon and further explore the natural wonders of the White Mountains.

Room Tip: The Cowboy Roundup was private and quiet with a great room and plenty of space.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NewEnglandDave

That's a great review Dave and we appreciate you taking the time to let others know about your experience. I'm so happy that you enjoyed Cowboy Roundup, it's my favorite I think because I spent one Christmas Day Eve doing the stonework to have it ready for guests arriving on the 26th. Michael wasn't happy with me working on Christmas that year, but I wanted it to be beautiful for guests coming in for several days - the room was nice but now it's really beautiful.

It's nice to hear that Michael and I do compliment each other here at the Lodge. There are times that I'm not here because I'm shopping for the Lodge and or running our non-driving teens around, but I know that all of our guests are in great hands with Michael who is so knowledgeable about the area hikes, drivings and our great restaurants. I'm the behind the scenes force and Super Mom and he's entertaining guests and being a great concierge.

We look forward to you visiting us again and have another special weekend creating memories. Take care.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Bear Mountain Lodge whilst visiting the White Mountain area. This is a wonderful log cabin style B&B run by owners Michael and Carol. Carol is a wonderful cook and prepared a daily home cooked breakfast. Each day was different, delicious and beautifully presented.
Michael is a great host and happily gave us appropriate advice and tips on our choice of activity for the day. He has a great knowledge and understanding of the area and made us feel very welcome and comfortable. He also made good recommendations for local restaurants (car needed, none are really in walking distance).
The lodge itself exudes quality from the amazing building, the facilities provided to the fantastic views of the mountains. This is a peaceful, cosy, immaculately clean getaway. We loved it!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Guests feeling welcome and comfortable in our home is the best review we can get. It takes lots of hard work to keep the Lodge in tip-top shape, but all of that is behind the scenes so that our guests can enjoy their rooms and the great common areas with those fabulous mountain views. And I appreciate the kudos to my cooking, being a lover of breakfast myself I'm glad you enjoyed your three mornings with us. Thanks for the great review and we hope you're having a great summer.