“Winter Wonderland”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Winter Wonderland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I first came to Bear Mountain Lodge during foliage season 2013. It was so gorgeous and enjoyable that we decided to bring two of our three adult daughters with us next time. We booked three nights in January and arrived in a snowstorm. It was beautiful outside but great to be able to cozy up to the warm fire when we got there. Michael and Carol are always so welcoming and helpful with tips for places to go for dinner or interesting activities to experience nearby. This time we tried the new brewery called Schillings in Littleton. It had a great "northern" atmosphere, rugged and casual but stylish, with very friendly service and simple but good food. On the night we went they also had live entertainment that started about 8 p.m.

We skied at Bretton Woods twice. It was cold but exhilarating with beautiful trails and stunning views of the Presidential mountain range. We purchased lift tickets from Carol and Michael (who offer a discounted price) at the inn and were happily on our way. We got ourselves to where we needed to be at the Base Lodge when we heard Carol's voice. She had realized we had the wrong tickets and drove in her car to find us to correct the mistake! Talk about great service!!

On our last day we enjoyed snowshoeing on the loop Michael groomed around the lodge. It was so pristinely beautiful, especially with the new snowcover, that I cannot imagine anything more perfect. We headed out on the trail about ten minutes after a young couple and offered to take their picture down by the river at the end of the loop. We later discovered he had proposed to her only minutes before we broke in on their bliss (sorry!). One consolation for us is that we were able to e-mail them the photo. Their camera was not working because it had frozen up.

Each morning we ate breakfast at the lodge and were pleasantly surprised by something new on the menu. One of our daughters has a sensitivity to dairy and had forgotten to mention that before we arrived. Michael and Carol were more than accommodating at the last minute and made her some scrambled eggs and toast.

When we organized the trip I was a little concerned that our twenty something daughters might not think this place was "cool" enough for them. To our delight we were told that they thought it was the best place ever, they felt at home in every way, and they would love to come back again sometime soon. Sounds like a good plan to me! Thank you again Carol and Michael.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DeirdreFahy
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Deidre thanks so much for the great review. It was our pleasure to have your family stay with us, your daughters were wonderful and we're so happy that they loved the Lodge. We do tend to have younger guests than some of the more formal B&Bs in the White Mountains, I think because there isn't a concern that they have to be dressed up or can't touch any of the antiques or it's just to fussy. Perhaps it's the beautiful pool table room or the outdoor hot tub or the in-room jacuzzis - whatever the reason, we love having them here.

I'm also glad that you got a chance to be the first ones out snowshoeing on the trail. Unless you get to do it, I don't think people realize just how peaceful and beautiful it is here on the property going through the woods amongst the snow-covered pines. Michael and I popped out the other night about 9pm after it snowed all day and it was gorgeous. We went down to the river and just stood there listening to the water, taking it all in.

And we're very happy to accommodate gluten and dairy allergies so it was our pleasure to make sure your daughter got to enjoy a great breakfast as well. We look forward to seeing you all again in the future. Take care.

Carol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Burlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I just stayed at the Bear Mountain Lodge. We had an awesome stay! From the minute we pulled up we knew we were going to love it. It is an absolutely beautiful home and we were really impressed by how great of a job Mike and Carol did on their home and how they run their b & b. As soon as we walked in we felt so relaxed and at home. It had such a great warmth and coziness to it, along with the gorgeous views of the mountains. It was such a relaxing place to stay, just what we wanted. We stayed for two nights , it was a great distance to everything , the ride to our snowmobiling adventure was so beautiful! After a long fun day doing that, coming back to the lodge to relax was just awesome! . I will definitely recommend this place and hope to be back! Thanks for a excellent stay! :)

• Stayed January 2014
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thanks so much for the great review, we're glad that you were able to relax on your weekend getaway. The great room with the soapstone stove going is the perfect spot to just hang out, take in the views to Mt. Washington and do nothing! And I must agree that the ride through Crawford Notch over to Bartlett for snowmobiling with Northern Extremes is one of the prettiest rides in the area. We look forward to having you as our guests again the future. Take care.

Westwood, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here just after Christmas. The lodge is very pretty and it is a beautiful spot however we both kept getting the feeling that we were being "kept tabs" on the whole time. The first evening Mike was right at the door and welcomed us (nice touch) but this continued the next night as well. We had a long day and got in fairly late but he was right there looking out the window. This made us feel a bit uncomfortable, When we spend our money to have a weekend away we don't like to feel that we are being watched so much. Breakfast was good but it was sooo quiet we felt everyone could hear our conversations. Overall i would say that it was a strange experience and would probably not return.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 848delz
As innkeepers, you are dealing with thousands of people each year from all over the country and all over the world with different personalities. Many want their hands held to feel special; some want us to sit with them for hours talking about the B&B; some want to be checked in and then left alone; and occasionally you get a guest who doesn't even speak to you during the check-in process, never comes to breakfast and checks-out without even a goodbye -- a wide range of people and personalities to try to please to say the least! Obviously you aren't going to please all so you do what works for you and the 98% of the people who stay with you. Most innkeepers are very gregarious people like us and that's why we're in this business. You want to go above and beyond to make your guests feels special and welcome in your home. I've stayed at B&Bs where the innkeeper couldn't be bothered to help you or give suggestions for dinner or hikes or day trips and is obviously taking your money and moving on - not a pleasant experience for most.

Here's a little background to help put this in perspective: We once had guests come back from dinner about 10:15 and there weren't any spaces in the lot for them (we have 9 spaces for our 9 rooms). We had heard a car pull in about 10pm one summer evening and assumed it was our last guests getting back from dinner. They then knocked on our kitchen door to ask if it was OK for them to just park right in front of the Lodge as there weren't any spaces left. Michael said of course and then went out to investigate who was in their space. Turns out it was someone who was traveling from Montreal to Maine with a Canadian plate and needed a safe place to pull in and rest for a while before they kept driving. Michael of course told them he wanted them to be safe but asked them to pull down the driveway further into an area where we park snowmobile trailers. They were thrilled he wasn't tossing them off the property and gladly moved.

So when we do have cars pull in late at night and we can't see the car or the guests from our side of the Lodge and the people are just sitting in their car for an extended time, Michael or I will go out to the front door to be sure it's guests returning and not someone else. In this case, I believe these guests sat in their car for quite a while, perhaps having a cigarette because we are completely non-smoking property. When they got close enough to the Lodge for Michael to see it was our guests he opened the door for them rather than ignoring them and going back into our side of the building.

As to the dining room being too quiet, we do play music at a low level so that it isn't dead quiet in there. Michael is out there greeting new guests as they come into the dining room and talking with other guests to help plan their day with suggestions for hikes, in the winter going over the weather for the day, etc. It's typically never that quiet in there, often times people are laughing as Michael tends to tell jokes about the breakfast being out of a box from Betty Crocker - if only, I could sleep in once in a while.

So since both of the issues that these guests had were (1) they thought Michael was spying on them (really he does have better things to do like be with his kids); and (2) that people in the dining room were listening to their private conversations, I can only assume that these guests have issues thinking people are watching/listening to them and are the type that really want no interactions with others at a B&B - perhaps a hotel would be a better choice for them.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I have stayed here several times and each time it gets better and better. Michael and Carol always make you feel welcome and at home. The stove in the great room relaxes you so you can go to your very comfortable room for a great night sleep. The breakfast are out of this world and change with every visit. This time I enjoyed caramelized onion quiche, French toast with cinnamon sauce and wonderful scones.

Room Tip: I have stayed in Turkey, Loon, Cowboy and Moose. Each room is comfortable, beds are great. No matt...
Green Features: The lodge is very environmentally friendly. The innkeepers recycle everything possible.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thanks for the review from your various visits and we appreciate that you keep choosing Bear Mountain Lodge for your getaways. I'm glad you loved the carmelized onion quiche - it's become a guest favorite and I love the smell of the kitchen when the onions are cooking down. It's one of those dishes that I secretly hope to have leftovers for myself as a treat when I'm done taking care of everyone I can enjoy! And I'm happy that you've enjoyed different rooms - especially Cowboy Roundup which is my favorite. We look forward to your next visit and I'll be sure Michael has a great fire going if it's during the winter so you can sit by the fire and relax.

East Haddam, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Our stay at this lodge was simply amazing! Inn keepers are amazingly welcoming. Breakfast was 5 star, our room was SUPER clean. Only down fall was a few 'snooty' other guests, however that's not within the inn keeper's control. We listened to how the inn keepers kept trying to please these people and honestly I don't think they'd be happy anywhere. :( We felt sorry for them actually. We'd certainly stay again and recommend it to anyone. Keep up the great work Carol and Michael.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smittenkitten2014
We appreciate the review and we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay, including my breakfasts. I'm working on some new recipes and will be adding them into the mix soon for our guests to enjoy. We look forward to your next visit, take care.
Chester, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

For the record, this was not our first stay, but every time we do come, we feel warm and welcomed. My wife and I arrived later than anticipated, and was appreciative of Mike being there to let us in. He is always warm and pleasant. From our first visit, he and Carol took the time to get to know us, and even welcomed us into their family by introducing us to their daughter. Every night we are there my wife and I sit in the great room with Mike, Carol and their daughter. They always want to hear how things are with us, and what is new in your lives. We have been to other B&B's, and the owners don't usually show the passion for the "job" that Mike and Carol do.

The lodge:
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. We have been for all four seasons, and the views are always great. Each room has been very clean and are themed with different animals from the north country (elk, turkey, deer, etc). It gives a nice flavor and makes it not seem like a hotel. The lower rooms are slightly larger, which is nice, and allows easier access to the outdoor hot tub, however they are a little more expensive. We have been snowshoeing on the property (when the snow is around) and Mike was able to take us around and show us some local wildlife. They both had helpful opinions on places to eat (LOVED the new brewery in Littleton), and things to do.

We will always consider the Bear Mountain Lodge as our go to B&B.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms are the most expensive, but are the best (in my opinion) because of the size an...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks Andrew for taking the time to write a review and it was great having you back for another visit. One of the best things about being an innkeeper is that we get the chance to meet awesome people we would otherwise probably never meet. You guys have become more than guests and Emily enjoys sitting with you when you visit (and it's not just about the chocolate she said to tell you). The fact that we now enjoy the Highland Games in September each year because we have friends to cheer on is something we couldn't have imagined. And as Innkeepers we love repeat guests because it gives us more opportunity to get to know them. You guys are a great couple and we look forward to visiting with you away from the Lodge soon.

PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

The only disappointing part of our stay in NH was that we just didn’t feel comfortable or as “at-home” as we’ve felt in other places we’ve stayed. We loved this area; it is great for winter sports and hiking. We did some wonderful cross country and snow shoeing at a few places just down the road from the lodge. We also had quite a few excellent meals at area restaurants. The location was convenient and the lodge itself is quite attractive, set back away from the highway and surrounded by snow covered trees. However, it felt a bit too uptight with rules to be mindful of, both written and unwritten. The owners, Mike & Carol, came across to us as less than flexible. So, instead of being able to kick back and relax, my husband and I constantly felt like we had to be on our best behavior.
The first unwritten rule is once in the front door you’ll be instructed to take your shoes off. Be sure to have slip on shoes or slippers to leave at the front door. There are some unpackaged, reusable socks in a basket at the front door if you are comfortable with that, I preferred my own slippers.

I read the T.A. reviews about the breakfasts being too sweet and too small. I chose to ignore those reviews. Shame on me! Seriously, the breakfasts are more like desserts and it’s true, they are not hearty. We just didn’t feel at all comfortable enough with these owners to have asked for something in addition to what they were serving. Many places have self-serve instant oatmeal, cold cereal or toast that guests can have in addition to or instead of the breakfast being served. A self-serve breakfast area would be a nice addition and it would make it conducive to getting an earlier start to the day’s activities than what the scheduled 8:30 am - 9:30 am seating allows.

Quiet hours are typical for many lodges and hotels and are usually either communicated initially, or posted in the room. It would have been helpful to have known all the rules upfront. For instance, my husband learned that the hot tub is off limits at 8:15 a.m. when Mike stopped him in his tracks in the common area in front of other guests. He was in his bathing suit, towel in hand. He came back into our room shaking his head. Very embarrassing. Apparently, the hot tub is too noisy and they situated it too close to a first floor guest room. We did get to use the hot tub later in the afternoon and enjoyed it. The big downside was that it was a death defying feat to get to it. We were shown the basket of towels and the door leading down to the hot tub area when we got the initial tour. Mike never mentioned a safer route. The deck and stairs down to the hot tub were never shoveled and were allowed to ice over. This oversight baffles me since they seem to be so focused on every other detail, yet totally ignored the deck and steps which were a huge safety hazard. Later, my husband and I found the safer way to go was from the first floor bar/billiard room door. We later surmised that another of those unwritten/uncommunicated rules was that this door was not the door they want you to use when Mike came outside to do some things and then proceeded to lock us out there. He made his point clear that he wanted us to go back up the steps to the deck and in through the correct door. There was a nice couple playing pool who let us back in through the first floor door. I would believe that this was accidental except that as I’ve mentioned they are honed into every detail and being that the hot tub is so loud that it can’t be used in the morning, makes it impossible to believe he didn’t see or hear guests out there.

Television isn’t important to us when we travel, but my husband wanted to watch the football playoffs and the TV in our room was about the size of an iPad. So he went downstairs to watch it on the large screen in the billiard room, but was told he’d have to wrap it up at half time so that quiet hours could be observed—another unwritten rule. Seemingly, when they designed the inn they situated guest rooms too close to this room.

We try to spend our hard earned vacation time and money wisely, needless to say we won’t be spending either of those here again.

Green Features: We hung up our used towels so that they would leave them for a second use, but every day we were given new towels. It would have been nice to have a small composting container in the snack area for used tea bags or other compostable items I didn't see one energy efficient light bulb in the place
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank pedlfastr
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
We're sorry that these guests didn't enjoy their stay with us. Their review, along with their traveling partners similar "3" rating last week are not something that we take lightly. However, we have thousands of guests each year and our rave reviews from over 400 guests show what a stay at Bear Mountain Lodge is really like. And almost every review talks about how warm and welcoming Michael is to our guests so this is baffling to me that they didn't feel welcome. It appears that this has more to do with them not liking a few simple rules we have to ensure all guests have a great time rather than anything Michael did.

I will respond to a couple items in their post to clarify for future guests. First, we certainly do ask guests to take off their shoes in the winter when they arrive to keep the Lodge clean and protect our wood floors. If you can image 18 pairs of shoes coming into the Lodge covered in snow, ice, sand and SALT what the floors could look like. Most guests have no issue taking off their shoes, it's also kind of a North Country thing - no one enters another's home up here without removing your shoes. We have boot trays and socks that get washed after each use. Lots of guests bring their own slippers as well. We've had guests with foot problems so it's not possible for them to remove their shoes and go barefoot. We certainly understand and want those guests to wear their shoes for their comfort. We had such a guest who even asked us for an old towel to get the salt/sand off before he would walk on our floors. If keeping your shoes on prevents you from "kicking back and relaxing" them I'm sorry you felt that way.

Breakfast here is different each morning and I try to alternate it between a sweet and a savory dish as the main course. As our website states, we serve a first course such as cranberry poached pears, baked bananas, apple & pear crisp, fruit parfait or a homemade scone or muffin. In the winter, about the only fruit we have that's good up here in the mountains are apples, pears and bananas so this also affects what I can serve. This is followed by either a frittata, quiche, pancakes, french toast or crepes. While preparing all of these, I also have to take into account dietary restrictions and allergies, sometimes changing menu items at the last minute upon learning of an allergy at checkin the night before. These guests stayed for 4 nights so yes they had two sweet dishes which apparently is not what they like. I'm learning that various age groups don't like sweet things for breakfast, but again I have to cater to all of my guests and serve a breakfast that almost everyone will enjoy. We currently don't have room for a self-serve breakfast area but many guests who don't enjoy sweet breakfasts have told us that they'd prefer just toast and coffee and we're happy to accommodate. Innkeepers do a great job taking care of people but can't read minds so you have to let us know or we can't help you have a nice stay.

As noted in our other reply to their friends' review, we do have quiet hours in two areas. We added the hot tub and the pool room for guests to enjoy. However, we do have quiet hours for both so that the other 16 guests are not disturbed. It's not that the hot tub is too loud running, it's guests who decide to go in before breakfast even begins while others are sleeping and their voices carry. I'd be very upset if I went away for a weekend and was woken up by a couple talking in the hot tub under the windows at 8:15. This happened to me at another Inn in Maine when guests decided to go out at 8am and walk around the property looking at the gardens with their coffee, talking about all the wonderful perennials, waking others up because they were clueless to how their voices were carrying.

The pool room is another place we added a couple years ago (after the rest of the Lodge was built) so that guests could have something to do on a rainy day or before heading out for dinner. There is a room beside that so to ensure those guests are not disturbed, we close the pool room at 9:30. Regarding the TV, at no point did my husband tell them "to wrap it up at half-time." If half-time came at 9:30, then obviously these guests would have been in the room until after 11pm watching a game, cheering when their team scored, etc. - again disturbing others who weren't up watching the game. It's a catch 22 for us, but we always err on the side of those couples away for a quiet romantic weekend at a B&B as most are. They aren't here to watch a ballgame.

During their stay, it was drizzling/sleeting/snowing off and on so it was impossible to keep the stairs off the deck safe for use. In fact, we only shoveled the deck for our New Year's Eve party so that guests could go out and stand to watch the fireworks. The rest of the time guests used the slider door in the pool room to access the hot tub. At one point, this guest made the comment "I found the secret way to the hot tub." Obviously, MIchael forgot to show these guests the door upon checkin, and we're certainly sorry about that. During normal weather patterns, everyone uses the stairs off the deck. And of course he'd never intentionally lock a guest out - he didn't see anyone in the hot tub and saw the door unlocked so he just went ahead and locked it. Obviously a mistake, we weren't trying to make these guests use a snow-covered staircase. We will be sure to always double-check the hot tub before locking a door again.

Unfortunately, these guests booked our 4 night New Year's Eve package along with their friends which was supposed to include a free guided snowshoe hike with Michael. During their stay, we had unseasonably warm weather with rain and it made snowshoeing impossible for everyone. They asked Michael on several occasions to take them snowshoeing but we felt it was unsafe to do so without proper snow cover. Imagine wooded trails throughout the forest with only an inch of snow and lots of sticks poking out - the perfect recipe for a knee injury. They were very unhappy that they didn't get their snowshoe hike, as was Michael because he loves taking guests on evening treks with headlamps - it's really cool.

I've discovered over the past eight years that we can't please everyone and that you're always going to get those guests who aren't happy with something. However, I've also learned that Michael and I do a darn good job of making people feel welcome in our home and that almost everyone has a fabulous stay at Bear Mountain Lodge.

Carol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethlehem
Arlington Hotel
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,289 reviews
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa

Been to Bear Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!