“Somewhere different.”
Review of The Wayside Inn

The Wayside Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Bethlehem B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2008

After having stayed in fairly modern hotels for the first part of my trip I chose the Waysde for a couple of nights because I knew it was going to be something different. I was not disappointed. It was in a quiet picturesque riverside setting and the building was a largish quant New Hampshire type cottage. I received a friendly welcome from the Swiss propriators,plus dog and cat, and was escorted along creeping wood floors and stairs to my room. The room was nicely furnished with cottage furniture but could have done with a coffee/tea making facility and television. I particularly liked the decoration and lighting in the riverside dining room giving it a romantic atmosphere. I had two excellent evening meals and breakfasts cooked exactly as I requested and at a fair price. The lounge area was comfortable with a television and I felt I could come and go as I pleased. I would not rate the hotel as being up market but somewhere with character and a homely feeling and good for a couple days stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed December 30, 2007

When it comes to Inns and B&B's, my fiance and I have very reasonaible expectations. We had researched many places to stay, and eventually settled on the Wayside Inn, especially after reading many of the reviews on this website. If you plan on staying at a place that makes "The Shining" come to life, then this is the place. Otherwise, you will wish, as we do, that we had stayed somewhere else. The Inn's keepers, Kathe and Victor are truly miserable and they won't even greet you with a smile. The rooms are bare, with little or no decor, and unless you ask, they'll give you the worst room in the place. As soon as we turned on the heat (which was 50 degrees when we got to our room) several flies came to life. Trying to kill the flies who had returned from hibernation became the entertainment of thenight. Romantic? Hardly; and that's quite an accomplishment considering the beauty of the White Mountains. To be fair, we will say that the cooking, both dinner and breakfast was good - though be prepared for a hefty dinner bill. Jacuzzi was nice, but can only be used before 9pm, because it sounds like freight train plowing through the house. If you're looking for a nice place to get away, and still feel loved in this world, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 6, 2007

you can't beat the wayside ....good golf packages ....loved maplewood c.c.....bethlehem c.c. is o.k....food at the wayside is unmatched...absolutely delicious...many of my friends have taken my advice and all are now wayside fans. we are headed back up there today for a long awaited summer getaway.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moMassachusetts
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Recently returned from a trip to The Wayside Inn on a golf package. If for no other reason, you need to stay at The Wayside Inn for the food. We had the most amazing meals while we stayed here I can't rave enough about it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the golf courses we played at (Waumbek, Maplewood & Bretton Woods) but overall we had a wonderful time. We relaxed, we ate INCREDIBLE food, and had some great views of the White Mountains. Our room was right on a 'bubbling brook' therefore very relaxing to sleep at night. The innkeepers were very friendly and accomodating, and the rest of the staff (servers, etc.) are top notch!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank Puggers
Edison, NJ
Reviewed July 1, 2004

I recently spent 2 nights here in late June 2004; my mom and I stayed in the motel annex, in which all rooms face the Ammonoosuc River. All rooms have a private balcony with comfortable chairs. I could have spent my entire stay just sitting here, reading, snoozing, observing nature, alongside the proverbial babbling brook. The owners' two very gentle dogs, along with chipmunks, goldfinches, and hummmingbirds, combine with the scenery to make for a very, very picturesque setting and soothing atmosphere. Rooms are excellent value, very clean, charming quilts and decor. The inn has an excellent restaurant: great, mouth-watering blueberry pancakes for breakfast, fantastic dinner menu; lots of Swiss specialties, such as Veal Zurich and Trout Zug. Very nice wine list.

We are already planning our next trip.. this is truly a delightful retreat from the rat race!

• Stayed: June 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 6, 2004

I stayed here with my husband over New Year's. The rooms are great- nice big bathrooms and the restaurant has gourmet food prepared by a great chef.

They also seel ski tickets at a discount for Bretton Woods.

I highly recommend the Inn- it is a great value for the price

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
amherst nh
Reviewed August 13, 2003

My wife and i have celebrated a few wedding anniversarys here in dec. I must tell you the food is something i look forward to. I highly recommend trying the sirloin steak.Its the best steak i have ever had without a doubt. I dont like lamb but i tried a pice because my wife ordered the lamb and i couldnt believe how good it was, it tasted far better than any lamb i ever had. The restaurant is romantic at night with snow on the ground overlooking the ammonoosuc river. the chef has a chef of the year award, and went to culinary school. He used to be in charge of over a couple hundred people.So you can bet that the chef is very experienced I recommend you try the wayside in on a cold snowy night!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethlehem
Eastgate Inn
Arlington Hotel
Arlington Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bethlehem
Hearthside Village Cottage Motel

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!