“Excellent accomodations” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bedford
Middletown, Delaware
“Excellent accomodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Can't say enough about the excellent accomodations and the very friendly and helpful staff. Always greeted warmly and asked is they could do anything for you and if everything was okay. Excellent value. Very close to Manchester airport and easy access to surrounding area.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dayton, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hotel was very nice for a Hampton Inn. Unfortunately shortly after I checked in I used the very sub-par fitness center, went to my room and showered, to be surprised by another guest or perhaps Housekeeping or hotel staff entering my room. mistakes happen, but when I mentioned to the staff they said that they were sorry and moved on. I was not all that bothered but I do think about if it were my wife or daughter the way they ignored the situation was unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

2 Thank Andrew S
Paso Robles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here recently on our way to Canada. This is a typical Hampton Inn and is located near the airport. It is a little tricky driving in and out, but once done, not too bad. The hotel is perched on a bluff/hill and the surrounding grounds were nice. We had a very quiet room looking east towards the river. However, I've never seen a slower elevator !
In my opinion the breakfast are was much better than most Hamptons, with the food/beverage offerings standard Hampton faire. It was open and roomy and a rather pleasant place to eat.

The negative side was the staff - we didn't get a very warm welcome. People seemed like they could care less that we were going to stay there. This "attitude" seemed to prevail on all encounters, from checking in, to asking for directions, to asking some simple questions, and to checking out. Glad we were there only 1 night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing east towards the river. Ask for a higher room if you don't want to hear p...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pasowine
Stephenson, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Clean, centrally located Hilton facility - with a very friendly staff who warmly welcomed us and immediately offered to work with us to make this stay comfortable. Tucked away in a quiet location with lots of good restaurants to chose from in the area. We were using this hotel as a family gathering spot as we were all there for a happy event - but also visiting with a relative who is currently not well enough to host our stay. Our check-in agent was so gracious in working to help us settle in and find close by rooms for other family members. The only negative was the pool has a stated time for cleaning - and family members who had planned to use it Saturday morning found it closed for servicing at a time that was not posted for that purpose. This inconvenience, however, would not influence our choice to stay here again.

1 Thank G0dm0ther
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

This appeared at first glance to be a fairly new hotel, which was impressive since the oldest TripAdvisor review is from 2004, so the property has aged well in its 9 years, but there were still many problems that should not be an issue after that long:

1) Breakfast did not meet Hampton Inn Guarantee
2) Front desk guy on Sunday morning was apathetic and just trying to get to end of his shift
3) Signage and directions to hotel not very good
4) People Smoking in Non-Smoking hotel
5) Being upgraded to a room with a fireplace in June

I will start with my biggest complaint-breakfast. Hampton Inn promises a hot, delicious breakfast. They even have an ad in this month’s Delta Sky magazine showing a lady eating a delicious breakfast that includes some tasty looking sausage and more yummy items. That was not the case here. They had those mass manufactured, artificial looking scrambled eggs and potato cubes as the hot choices. There were all the standard options such as waffles, fruit, a few types of bread, and the rubbery, made somewhere else, chilled, boiled eggs. There was no meat! One time I stayed at a Hampton Inn in north Georgia, and they passed off the Sausage gravy as their meat. This place didn’t even have that. When I commented to the one young woman, who either appeared not to understand English very well or probably was just ignoring me since later she did say that there was nothing else being served, I got this “I don’t care” look. When I went to the front desk to complain (and apologized to him for being in complaint mode since this was my second complaint in 5 minutes-see smoking comment later), he was not interested at all. When I stay at Hampton Inn, based on their advertising on tv and in magazines plus on line, I expect at least one meat choice. When I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Westford, about 30 miles south of here, they always have bacon or sausage or will make some for you, if not. They also have omelets or something else closer to or in the protein group. There are usually two people in Westford on breakfast duty, and both are always pleasant and accommodating. The coffee station here is also away from everything else by at least 25 feet. I also noticed that the next couple who approached the breakfast buffet were not very impressed and made negative facial gestures so we weren't the only disappointed guests. Someone needs to visit the Westford location for training.

My second major complaint was the apathy of the front desk guy when we mentioned the smell of cigarettes on the 4th floor. We were at the very end of the hall, and when we walked to the elevator, there was a definite smell of fresh, tobacco smoke. If I had checked in the next night to whichever room the smokers had stayed on Saturday night, I would not have been a happy camper. When we walked down to breakfast, we mentioned to the apathetic guy at the front desk that somewhere on the 4th floor there was smoke smell, but then after breakfast as we were leaving the hotel to check out, we paid more attention and told the guy a more specific location. He had to be almost waked up as he didn’t move when we approached the desk to turn in the keys. We told him the specific area (most likely room 407 or 408). He appeared to care less and seemed agitated that this was even brought to his attention for which he probably took no action, based on his response. His shift must have ended at 7 am! I like the fact that this is supposed to be a 100% smoke free hotel (one up on the Westford location which has 7 or 8 smoking rooms), but for the staff to not care, it makes it an honor system that doesn’t work.

Another complaint was the difficulty in finding this hotel. This was my first time to this part of New Hampshire in over 20 years, I must say, but I got lost, and the guy at the service station on Route 3 had never heard of the 9 year old Hampton Inn (not the hotel’s fault). I was trying to avoid entering the toll road by accident and fortunately never did, but somehow, I must have missed something. Here is what is on the web site:

From: I-93 North/Nashua/Airport: Take the Raymond Wieczorek Drive E/U.S. 3 E exit toward Manchester-Boston Regional Airport. Keep right at the fork to continue toward US-3 N/S River Rd. Turn left onto US-3 N/S River Rd. Hawthorne Drive is 2 miles ahead on the right. We are the second building on the left

We had eaten in Londonderry and were coming from I-93 N so I was trying to follow the directions above but got lost and then was following the signs towards Bedford and ended up on the Kilton Road exit, but when I got to South River Road, I turned left based on what I thought was from the instructions above, which took me towards Manchester. That’s where the gas station issue came up, but he did point me in the right direction towards Bedford. I eventually saw the Hampton Inn on the left a few miles later and saw the sign and turned left at Hawthorne Drive. It says above that Hawthorne Drive is “ahead on the right”, but isn’t it ahead on the left since I had to make a left turn from Route 3? There was a sign at Hawthorne Dr and Route 3; however, there was no Hampton Inn sign at the entrance even though I could see the hotel on the left and I almost drove by thinking maybe there was another entrance. They need to do a few things:

1) Put a sign at the entrance to the hotel property on Hawthorne Drive
2) Put a sign like the other hotels have on I-293 so you know which exit to take and then where to go from there
3) Put something on Route 3 as well at Kilton Road and/or whichever exit one could take

It is always nice to receive a free upgrade, and I have come to expect this as a Hilton Honors Gold member, but what is the purpose of receiving a room with a fireplace in June? This presented the only non-human complaint I had on this stay-a design error for cooling/heating. The air condition unit is to the right of the fireplace and near floor level. The fireplace plus anything on the little coffee table in front of the sofabed block the air circulation. The room is 10 degrees cooler by the sofabed than it is at the far extreme in the main bed. If both beds were being used, someone would either be too hot or too cold. The hotel didn’t look too full so why not give your best clients an upgrade to a room with a whirlpool in the warmer seasons and give the fireplace upgrade during the other 9 months when it can be used? Some of the television stations were fuzzy, but this was only a minor issue. I would like to have seen what was on the one Canadian channels that was listed on the card, but it was one of the fuzzy ones. Was it French or English? I will never know! Also, the channel listing was close but not 100% accurate.

As I said in my title, this place has lots of potential. Every concern was a human one except the air design flaw. Some positives by the way include a larger than normal microwave (although no popcorn provided as in Westford), a nice, advanced outlet station by the bed, the usual comfortable Hampton beds (although I don’t like the pillows at any Hampton but that is my personal preference issue), the supplies including mouthwash, a safe parking area, quiet and comfortable room, clean bathroom with shower/tub combo and sink outside for easy access at all times, etc. A better trained, more caring staff, a breakfast to match what is advertised, a plan to deal with smoking guests, and better signage are areas for improvement. I also must add that when we checked in about 8:30 pm on Saturday evening that the lady at the desk then was very nice and helpful. I don’t remember if she referred to our status before I brought it up, but when I asked her if we had been upgraded, she looked and said, with a big smile, yes. No arrival package had been prepared, and we weren’t offered any water although she did mention that we had chosen to receive points rather than water and a snack so I guess she was following policy, but we are always offered water at Hampton Inn regardless and were even given a snack as well in Westford the last time, but we’ve stayed there 3 or 4 times now and are “regulars”. The internet signal worked, but given that we were in the top corner of the hotel, it was a little slow at times. I saw the pool from the parking lot since we had to park at the very end due to our late arrival (as mentioned earlier, everything seemed safe and nothing was missing or damaged the next morning), and the pool looked nice and was bigger than the one in Westford, but we were tired and didn’t get a chance to check it out. The spa appeared out of order. Also, we had an early flight and had to leave the hotel before 7 am so I can’t comment on housekeeping (but do wonder what they did about Room 407 or 408 later that day). Since we stayed here our last night rather than our first night, we had a rental car and did not need to use the advertised shuttle, which I never saw in the parking lot, so I can’t comment on that either, but hope they have one since it is listed on the web site. To summarize, breakfast and the Sunday morning staff’s apathetic attitude ruined my stay at this hotel. I would give this place another try the next time I fly into Manchester and expect it to be better or maybe I’ll take them up on their 100% Guarantee policy. This was the closest I’ve ever come to bringing that up and asking for a full refund!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
hampton8, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester - Bedford, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for reaching out to share this detailed feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. Please know that your satisfaction is of the utmost importance and we will incorporate your comments into our ongoing service training. I apologize for our missteps during your visit, and for the frustration you faced. We are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction, and look forward to speaking with you personally about our satisfaction guarantee.
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time at this Hampton Inn! I need to say it is by far the cleanest I have ever seen! We travel frequently with our motorcycle . Rooms were very spacious, 3 phones, plenty of outlets, computer jacks etc! The bathroom deserves more than 5 stars. It was so clean. You would actually feel comfortable taking a bath while away. We did not get to use pool, but very clean. Gina and Zachary at the front desk were great. Gina told us some great places to eat. She suggested the Rib Fest and it was a great take. This hotel had free beer and wine, along with hot dogs, macaroni and cheese Monday thru Friday. This was great and did not even know about it. We will definately be back. Thank You.

• Stayed June 2013
Sutherlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This Hampton Inn, while a bit off the beaten path, is located in a wonderful setting. There are a variety of restaurants and stores nearby and while not the closest hotel to the airport, the commute is a piece of cake. Bottom line, you get the service and quality you expect from a Hampton Inn.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manchester Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown
BEST WESTERN PLUS Executive Court Inn & Conference Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Manchester/Airport
Bedford Village Inn
Bedford Village Inn
#2 of 4 in Bedford
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Manchester Airport

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester - Bedford? Share your experiences!