“So Much Promise, Such Low Performance”
Review of Purple Finch Cafe

Purple Finch Cafe
Ranked #3 of 47 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: http://www.purplefinchcafe.com/about
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I decided to check this place out based on the reviews. Difficult to find, it sits in a complex opposite the Macy's. The signboard for the complex provides the restaurant with a double sign, obviously they have two spaces in the complex and as you approach their location you have two entrances presented, signs indicate that the door on the left is for take out and the door on the right is for the restaurant. This is a place with a restaurant that promises so much, very creative, one gets hungry just reading the choices. Originally I was considering using a title for this review making reference to the disturbing trend where the person who writes the menu is disconnected from the result that is presented on the plate. I have spoken with a number of people who have had great experiences at this restaurant, but some things have been consistent with my experience. Also, while there an adjacent table had two women who spoke of the husband of one, who had just returned from a national restaurant conference/food show, and they both seemed to be regular customers at this place. However, I do know that most people do not provide the best understanding of restaurant experiences.

That stated, the place was not very busy, the tables had oilcloth covers, mine had not been cleaned and was sticky to touch. The menu is complex, lots of choices, all are described such that I would want to visit with friends so that we could share and enjoy. The coffee was great, nice flavor and fresh, I drink mine black. I would have preferred that the Server had noticed that when she returned to take my order I had an empty cup and thus would have understood that I enjoy coffee and would appreciate an offer of frequent refills.

I ordered the Texas Omelet, to be served with a steak based chili. The Server asked as to what "toast" I wanted, and seemed confused when I explained that I wanted the suggested cornbread. What I received was disgusting. There were home fries, way over cooked, when you picked them up they left a ring of brown grease. The cornbread was tasteless. The omelet was heavy, the chili, supposed to be a steak based product, had no essence that resembled any kind of meat, and no spice/herb/flavor profile other than "tomato".

I felt that I was ripped off.

The worst insult was that as I cut off pieces of the omelet most of the pieces were only egg, with no stuffing. Such a poor excuse, I expected to receive egg folded around something, and what I received was some egg folded around something else and most of the egg folded around nothing.

An omelet should be egg folded around something, cornbread should have a flavor profile, and home fries should not leave a puddle of tired grease.

2  Thank MO4975678910
There are newer reviews for Purple Finch Cafe

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Have been here twice for breakfast and both times have been awsome. Everyone is so very friendly at this place. The eggs benny are very good, but the veggie benny has a pesto topping which is so so. The blueberry pancakes are full of berries and are nice and fluffy.It is a busy place so come early for breakfast on the weekends or there is a wait. It has many items on the menu to please everyone.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Went for the first time today. Had breakfast at the "bar" area. Place is very clean, bright, and airy. Loved the menu. I'm not an egg eater so it was nice to have lots of other options. They have some delicious sounding steel cut oats, but I opted for the power parfait which was vanilla yogurt with granola, strawberries, blueberries, and banana slices. It also came with an English muffin with peanut butter. Total with coffee and tax was $11.

Next time I'll try some pancakes!

1  Thank rizzo0904
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Purple Finch is a quaint, beautifully decorated cafe with very friendly, competent staff and fabulous food. The menu is impressive with the variety of dishes. I chose a benedict (one of many) and my husband ordered the cinnamon roll French Toast. Both dishes were well prepared and came out of the kitchen steaming hot. I was able to have a different side dish with my eggs at no extra cost, which I sincerely appreciated. Our waitress was the best! We lingered over our hot coffee and tea (a great selection of teas, I might add), enjoying the atmosphere in this lovely little cafe. We will return when in the Bedford area.

1  Thank Busyinnkeepers
Reviewed April 8, 2013

They have so many great things on the menu and I'd love to try everything! But I get the veggie omelet every time because it's soooo good.