“Zesty Mexican Food”

Shorty's Grill
Ranked #15 of 46 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Amherst, New Hampshire
“Zesty Mexican Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Usually Shorty's can be crowded so we went early. As soon as we walked in the door we were warmly welcomed. We opted for the dining room instead of the bar area (a note here, if you want to be away from small children, bar seating is preferable). The booths are very roomy, and can fit an entire family with plenty of elbow room to spare. They decor is somewhat dark, and for Shorty's the decorations were noticeably less than many of the other Shorty restaurants. The less decor gave it a cleaner, larger look which I prefer personally. The only thing that has not changed is the noise level can be loud, but we didn't have to shout to be heard. We started off with a speciality drink (I think we've tasted every Margarita offered) so we wanted to try something different. The Bourbon Blossom had an especially citrus taste, blended with Woodford Reserve. It was good! The salsa and chips arrived and as usual tasted freshly made. We ordered the Mexican Firecrackers (Jalapeño peppers stuffed with Cheddar, deep fried, and served with a wonderful ranch dressing), this is a dish not for those who cannot tolerate hot peppers (this is a favourite with us). We both ordered Combo Platters to get a taste of more than one dish. We had tacos, chimichangas, Enchiladas and Burritos. The shredded beef inside the enchilada was delightful, the chimichanga seemed a bit dry. The cornbread/jalapeno side has to be the best Mex cornbread this side of the Rio Grande. The refried beans were delicious and Mexican rice was ok. Unfortunately, we were too stuffed for dessert, which usually happens. The portions are large, the food in general is zesty good, the selections have something for everyone. Our server was cheerful, friendly, helpful. What impressed most was she knew the menu having tasted the dishes, she was very knowledgeable and that you don't find too often. Shorty's in our opinion has the best Mexican food in the area, why the chimi's were dry, I don't know, but overall the rest of the meal was a delicious.

• Visited May 2013

Southern New Hampshire
“Not what it used to be!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

If you want tasty mexican food this is not the place. The chicken enchilada was dry and tasteless, the margarita was returned because it appeared to be watered down. When the orderd meals arrived at the table I was handed a dish to pass on which was hot enough to burn my hands without the usual "hot plate" warning. Another dish was dropped on the table. This place was so noisy it was actually uncomfortable and impossibe for any of us to keep a conversation. Will not return.

• Visited April 2013
Bedford, New Hampshire
“A different kind of Mexican grill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I go to Shorty's quite often and was there during Patriot's games most of the fall. They have great chips and very good salsa that they give you right after you order. The wait staff are friendly and do seem to enjoy telling you about their food choices. It is not your standard Mexican fare. They have avocado crisps that are essentially fried avocado slides ... yum. Their taco salad is huge and monster burritos are truly ... monstrous.

Visited January 2013
Goffstown, New Hampshire
“Should have followed my first instincts and not gone”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This location has been revived and reopened after many years of closure. They should have kept it closed. The location is horrendous to get into and out of; very dangerous intersection crossing 4 lanes of traffic at some points. The smell when you enter is not pleasant, I can't place it but my husband said it was like backed up sewage. I didn't want to stay, but as this was our 3rd attempt to find a restaurant on a busy Saturday night and the wait was only 15 minutes, I chanced it. We were my Husband and I and our 10 year old son. The childrens menu is very good, lots of variety, both traditional chicken nuggets, burgers, mac and cheese, and mexican. The adult menu is also very diverse. I ordered the 2/3 rack of ribs, which were tasty but cold, I didn't ask to send them back as I know what some restaurants do in that case and I didn't want to chance it. My husband had a killer BBQ bowl, which was described as a burrito without the flour tortilla, he enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. The chips and salsa served free of charge tasted like tostitos brand out of a jar, not homemade salsa. The waitress was friendly enough, and attentive but did give us the wrong bill which was considerable more than our bill, luckily I pay attention. If you want good mexican food travel to Nashua or Manchester and check out La Carreta our favorite. We won't be back with or without a wait .

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank OuCilly
New York City, New York
“Nothing Worse Than Bland Mexican Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I use the term mexican food in jest, because although the dishes had mexican sounding names, they were really typical American fare pretending to be Mexican for those that don't know real Mexican food. After watching it sit empty for almost two years,it re-opened last year and I finally got around to trying it, and realize I should have kept on driving. Bland is an understatement and I almost walked out when I asked for some hot sauce and all they had was tabasco, YIKES!
Keep driving west on 101, 10 miles past Shorty's to Mi Jalisco and have some of the best mexican food around (and not just in NH), period.

• Visited January 2013