“Wow, really nice. Well appointed, beautiful gardens, food disapointing...”

Bedford Village Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed July 10, 2006

This inn is so beautiful! We were just there for my cousin's wedding and were really impressed with the place. It's charming and "Olde" but in an elegant, refined and tasteful way. Not too cute. The garden are so beautiful, with stone walls, fountains, winding paths, and a Wisteria covered pergola.
Our suite was fabulous. It was room no. 10 and might be the Gordon suite, but I'm not sure. We had a very big living room with a separate office space, balcony porch over looking the back yard and woods, small kitchen area; fridge, sink, cofee maker, (no microwave) 1/2 bath off the living room, a good sized bedroom with a king size bed, walk-in closet-large enough to be a room for our baby in her crib, and a really great full bathroom with a huge whirlpool tub. There was a fan, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, I've stayed a lot of nice places and I'm pretty critical, but everything was just perfect, fresh flowers in the bathroom, etc...
The wedding seemed to go flawlessly and my cousin said everything was up to her expectations. All waitstaff and staff in gereral were kind, helpful, cheerful and patient. Above average.
The food however, was bland and the coffee was a joke, you could see to the bottom of the cup.
I'd really like to return for an elegant evening and spend the night, but between what we ate at the wedding anf the other reviews of the restaurant, I'm a little afraid.
If the Bedford Village Inn could liven up it's menu, it would be world class. The only other thing I would wish for is a small pool/hot tub...

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank Ginevre
There are newer reviews for Bedford Village Inn

Reviewed June 26, 2006

My husband and I treat ourselves to the BVI restaurant a few times a year (for the past seven years) when we just want to relax, eat great food and try an interesting wine that is hard to find in our area. The service is always first-rate and friendly and we are never rushed through our meal. We also like to sit in a different dining room each time -- it makes each visit a little different!

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank relaxmax
Wash DC
Reviewed June 23, 2006

My best friend got married at the BVI a few weeks ago and everything was absolutely lovely. The food served was by far the best "wedding" food I've ever had. The rooms are gorgeous and large. I was very impressed with the service and the atmosphere - just what you think of when you imagine a quaint New England Inn. The grounds are beautiful and well-maintained .
I will say that the restaurant is too pricy for what you get. I suppose it's the only "fine dining" destination in the area so they think they can get away with charging high prices, but I think the portions are too small for $30/plate.
I would highly recommend holding a function here and staying at the inn but I wouldn't make the trip for the restaurant alone. The function food is different from the restaurant food, I was told, two different chefs.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lynnfield, Ma.
Reviewed May 27, 2006

Perhaps the most over-rated restaurant in America. I can't believe the network anchors still stay here for primary night every four years. Our dinning experience was just plain lousy, even though it didn't cost us a cent (gift certificates). Let's seen, was it the stringy lamb dish or the raw fish entree (it was supposed to be poached) that really turned us off. Server was nice but couldn't answer any questions because she wasn't familiair with the menu (huh). Portions were small and prices were high. Lots of weird plate presentations but not much for flavor. A great dinning experience 10 years ago but a horrible, over-priced one now.

• Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lexington, MA
Reviewed January 1, 2006

The reception I planned for my son was a total disappointment. The Function Manager's promises were not carried out. The entire meal was tasteless. The chicken was unseasoned, vegetable portions were too small, presentation on the plate was poor and the dessert, which we paid "extra" for was so sickeningly sweet that no one ate it. The wait staff was lethargic and neglected to re-fill the wine glasses as promised. I was completely embarrassed for my guests. The only redeeming feature was the ambiance of the Inn and the fact that we were lucky enough to have a sunny day. Shame on the chef and management for allowing such service to exist in this otherwise lovely setting. I will never, ever return and will disuade others also.

• Stayed: October 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2005

Our suite was lovely, elegant and very clean and comfortable. That was the good part. This lovely room was next to and above the main room where there was a wedding going on. The noise was so bad due to a large crack betwen the wall and support beam that we heard all loud conversations and each beat of the band untill midnight. After a long drive we wanted to get a good sleep; but there was no way it could happen. They must have had other complaints about this because when my husband complained the next morning they gave us a discount on the room. We were going to eat in the dining room; but were told in a very rude manner that we could not request a specific room in which to eat. We would have to seat where they choose. Forget that---we went to the tavern where the food was fine; but not outstanding. We had breakfast on their porch; but again there just was an atitude problem. We have traveled all around the world and have enjoyed many small inexpensive inns that have more warmth then this Inn begins to have.

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank grambu
Derry, NH
Reviewed July 12, 2005

Our experiences at Bedford Village Inn were a big disappointment at every turn. Let me count the ways they missed the mark for our "Romance Package":

1. Upon arrival in the afternoon we were told that the included "afternoon tea" was not being held because they had a wedding being held there that afternoon.

2. On check-in they also neglected to explain that we could either order a continental room service breakfast or go across to the restaurant in the morning for breakfast as part of the package.

3. The individual that checked us in provided us paperwork for the prior guest's check-in with their name and credit card information to sign.

4. We had reserved a specific room where we had spent our wedding night the year before, but were told upon arrival that we could not have it after all because people with the wedding had bumped us, reserving all the first floor rooms.

5. When we were being shown to our room upstairs, we were told that once the wedding reception got going that evening, we could pretty much crash it if we liked and no one would notice. Having inquired about this venue for our own reception the prior year (and quickly dismissing the idea) we were appalled that they spontaneously offered us this option at someone else's reception. (When visiting potential venues for our wedding reception, we had found their reception hall dirty, the list of rules, requirements and restrictions insulting, the snobbishness quite off-putting and the price not worth the venue and offerings compared to other lovely event venues in the area. They acted like they were doing us a favor by allowing us to consider their establishment.)

6. Our room decor was disappointing with a very tired looking sofa that didn't blend with the decor. The antique area rug just looked worn and dirty rather than lending charm. The bath fixtures were a curious collection. The oddly shaped toilet was quite uncomfortable for my husband and had an ill-fitting seat that kept slipping out of position. The height of the shower head was at sternum level for my husband. Even at 6'2", one shouldn't have to bend over to wash their face and hair. Conversely, the lighted, magnified mirror mounted by the sink vanity was mounted curiously high.

7. When we went to the restaurant for the dinner included in the package, we asked for a lovely front dining room, but were told that was reserved for a wedding rehearsal dinner party, but that we could have breakfast in that room in the morning.

8. Our waitress at dinner was flustered and complained multiple times that she didn't have any support staff helping her with service. Our meals were excellent and the wine list was good as we would only expect based upon the menu pricing.

9. The next morning when we started to take the small elevator to go to breakfast, we encountered two members of the housekeeping staff that got to the elevator just before us with their carts. They did not yield for guests to use the elevator or say good morning, just a sheepish "sorry" as they filled the elevator and closed the door while we took the stairs.

10. At the restaurant we asked for our preferred dining room again and were told once again that we couldn't be seated there because a bridal shower was scheduled in there that morning.

11. In another dining room, we were first seated at a table with a leg that was so short, the table rocked downward about 4-5 inches at one corner. We asked to be reseated at a table where we would not be spilling our beverages and they obliged, but did nothing to correct the table for the next guests.

12. Our young breakfast waiter was clearly hung-over from graduation celebrations the night before. My husband was happy with his meal, but I had something delivered that I had not ordered. Rather than offering to replace it, the waiter contested what I had ordered.

The quality of the food served at the BVI is still quite good, but they are definitely lacking in ALL other areas. It seems to me that they have received so many accolades over they years that they have developed an attitude and feel they needn't make an effort to please their guests. Having experienced such disappointment at every turn, I cannot fathom why they are still winning awards. Reading so many other bad reviews, I have to believe this will catch up with them before long. They need to find a way to provide promised services for guests that have paid premium prices for accommodations, food and services, EVEN when they are hosting various events at their venues. I have never submitted a review before, but feel strongly that the Bedford Village Inn still has the potential to be a lovely historic location that can provide a positive experience for their guests and provide service that lives up to its pricing. They must stop putting on airs and start living up to the award winning quality they tout themselves to offer.

• Stayed: June 2005
24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Radisson Hotel Manchester Downtown
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manchester Airport
Centennial Hotel
Centennial Hotel
#3 of 8 in Concord
Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester - Bedford
Best Western Plus Executive Court Inn & Conference Center

Been to Bedford Village Inn? Share your experiences!