“Individually owned condos that vary greatly in quality, and, and cleanliness.”

Attitash Mountain Village
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Bartlett
Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA
“Individually owned condos that vary greatly in quality, and, and cleanliness.”
Reviewed July 20, 2010

** BE ADVISED -- All of the condos are individually owned! There is no clear indication of this on the website and we found this to be very misleading. The condos seems to vary significantly in quality, age, and cleanliness. - BE ADVISED **

First, I would like to say the staff at the front desk was very helpful through our experience. With that, when we checked in at the front desk the reception area smells of a musty chlorine smell that is a bit overwhelming. The indoor pool / hot tubs are below the reception area and there is little to stop that smell from coming up. This seems prevalent in the onsite restaurant (which wasn't very good) and the bar area. When we arrived at our condo the smell of curry was so overwhelming my 4 year old immediately said "Mommy this place stinks!" as my wife and I nodded to each other. Trying to be positive I said that it probably needed to be aired out so I started opening windows. After a few minutes it wasn't much better so we started talking about what we should do. My wife went upstairs to check the bedrooms out and promptly came downstairs and told me when she took the covers off one of the beds she saw bugs scatter away. We packed everyone up in the car and went over the the front desk. The apologized and had us check out another unit. This one was MUCH cleaner (furniture, flooring, etc) and we decided to stay.

Pros: Great location, lots to do with older kids (4 and up)
Cons: The booking service answered my questions in a misleading way (it wasn't what I expected when I arrived), the condos vary greatly - layout, cleanliness, quality, etc., the WiFi was down and spotty the entire time we were there, the cell phone reception is marginal (to be expected in the mountains, but at least keep the wifi up), it seems overpriced if you get one of the mid to low end condos, lastly the website is an absolute nightmare and DOES NOT depict the village in a reasonably way.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank embusa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Arlington, MA
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at Attitash Mountain Village. We presumed we were getting a suite, but what we ended up with was far better -- a well-maintained three-story condo with three bedrooms, full kitchen, living room, and two bathrooms. The place probably dated to the 1970s or 80s but had clearly been updated in the past few years, with a new kitchen, a new master bathroom, and flat-screen TVs. I couldn't tell whether the neighboring units were in as good condition.

We were literally within walking distance to the Attitash ski area which included water slides and the alpine slide during our summertime visit. We were also a 20-minute drive to StoryLand and a 5-10-minute drive to various restaurants.

The outdoor pool was very nice; we didn't get a chance to use the indoor pool, but it was nice knowing it was there if it had rained.

We do plan to return to AMV again, but I should note three small complaints:

- The food in the hotel restaurant was sub-par and overpriced; you pay for the convenience, and that's all.
- The fitness center left a lot to be desired. Lots of cardio equipment (stairmasters/cycles), but the sparse weight equipment was rundown, musty and rusty.
- We don't expect central air conditioning in a New Hampshire condo where it snows much of the year, but the bedrooms were sweltering during a heat wave. They provided fans, but a couple of window air conditioners would have been welcome additions to help with sleeping.

But overall, an excellent stay, and we plan to return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ChucktheDesigner
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 5, 2010

The place was awesome! But it seems like they nickel and dime you for everything ($15) charge for a lost key. The sleeping was poor condition the kids were crying almost all night, I had to go out the next day and get a Aero bed. other than that we had a good time. The restaurants in the area was way over priced for the area. My suggestion go down the road to Muligans' great food for a better price. ROOM SERVICE! You have to pay for it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnL8
Keene, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We have been coming to Attitash every year for the last 3 years. Our group reserves anywhere from 3-5 rooms when we come. Typically our stays have been great. Last year was our first small issue, that our room had been given out to someone else. We had to do a lot of running back and forth to the main building to get the correct keys. I didn't find this as a big problem, just a minor inconvenience.

This year it happened to be a bit more of a inconvenience. We arrived, checked in and went to our room. Carrying our luggage, a toddler and an infant up the stairs to determine our lock was broken and the keys we had wouldn't work. I came back to the main building was given another key that still didn't work well. It was a challenge to get in, but we were able to get in with it. Maintenance came to look at the lock, but did not repair anything. Every time we returned to the room it was a hassle to unlock the door.

My biggest complaint is that our air conditioners did not work. The first night we tried to deal with it. Between them not working and the strong smell of cigarette smoke, we decided to report it. Maintenance came back (Rocky, who let me say was very pleasant) and was unable to fix the problem in either of the air conditioning units. He suggested we put towels under them to keep the water from spreading all over the floor as they were both leaking.

Rocky said he'd report the problem to the front desk to see what they could do for us. We never received any calls. No one offered to move us to a working room or offered us any fans to help with the humidity, heat and bad smell in the room.

Yesterday morning another maintenance person showed up. Stated that he was sorry we were checking out before they could fix the problem but he assured us that he would let the front desk know and see what they could offer us.

At the time of check out in the morning, no one offered us anything. When I complained to the lady that checked us out, she said all she could do was offer us $40.00 off one night. If I were her I'd be certain that I retain the customers business, to be sure I get the business back every year. In my opinion I shouldn't have had to pay for the second night at all. As well as should have been offered a discount or upgrade on our next stay.

I'm extremely disappointed in the service we received. If we reported the problem we should have been moved or something should have been fixed to make it comfortable. A $40.00 credit didn't compensate for the inconvenience we experienced.

We were advised that a long term employee was living in our room and was a heavy smoker. They had recently "kicked him out" and that is why it smelled so bad. The clothes I brought home that were in my suitcase (that I never even wore) reaked of smoke. Why would you put a family with two young children in a room like that????

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank fouraverys
Gardiner, Maine
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Overall our one night stay was nice, staff was helpful when I locked my husband & I out of our room. However our room REAKED of cigarette smoke. The least they could do was spray some Febreeze or something. I am usually not a complainer, but this was pretty nasty.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank molie18
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 7, 2010

The newr units are amazing. The "king" bedrooms invite you to stay in your unit and can make it hard to find a reason leave it. The older units are very plain. They are in pretty good shape but nothing to write home about. Some of these units are very, very old. The location is one of the best around. Ski or board across the street using the tunnel to avoid the main road, rte. 302. We were given a unit three years ago that had no water in the bathroom and we were asked to use a pan and fill it from the water from the kitchen until the next day. At over $200/day I really want water in all the rooms that are supposed to have water!! I begged him to put us in another unit and we ended up in a smaller unit that had not been cleaned yet... Being late in the night we made due and things were taken care of the next day including adjustments for the first night. The new kid at the desk did not know that they are allowed to us model units in such cases. That was one out of 15 trips to this place and the only issue I ever had. At times I have paid for a reg king unit and have been given one of the New amazing master bedroom units which is always a nice surprise. Attitash can be a great place to ski or board. I have skied at 6 other mtns in the area and I keep coming back to attitash. The Alpine slide is a very cool trip too, obviously in the summer.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank slappythesecond
NH
Reviewed February 27, 2010

one bedroom suite with SPA, kitchen and fireplace. We own a time share and stayed for a week. Skied at Attitash (best), Cranmore and Bretton Woods all were good. The location at Attitash is convenent to all North Conway restaurants. In door pool is great for anyone with kids. They also have a steam room and a sauna to help recover from any sore mussles. The suite was as I have seen in the past very clean. The King size bed was comfortable for sleeping. My son used the downstairs bed in the living room area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
Bartlett Inn
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#3 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Attitash Mountain Village? Share your experiences!