“If you booked here, cancel. If you bought here, I'm sorry.”

Attitash Mountain Village
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Bartlett
Seneca, South Carolina
“If you booked here, cancel. If you bought here, I'm sorry.”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I've waited three weeks since our experience at Attitash to write this so I could be more objective about the conditions on the property and the staff. As I think about the problems we encountered and some of the staff's reactions (yes--reactions, not assistance), my blood pressure starts to pump!

We reserved a room suitable for sleeping four. When we opened the door, we were surprised at how small it seemed, even with the Murphy bed in the up position. It did not take long to tour the room due to its size. I note here that an inspection of the room is absolutely necessary upon check in due to the five documents you have to sign before receiving your key that assign you responsibility for any damage, missing towels, plates, spoons, etc. Be sure to count all of them. The threadbare beach towels might cost you $40 each!

Early in my tour, I noticed a hole had been kicked in the back of the bathroom door. There were no beach towels in the room--and we were responsible? The walls of rooms in Building 4 are paper thin and we heard noise from every direction. The next day, after several phone calls, Susan promised us another room the next day. BTW--the only reason this property gets two stars instead of one is due to Susan. She was usually responsive.

The room we were transferred to was new and a great improvement--until we turned on the bedside light. At that point, we lost all power. Maintenance responded and together, we discovered that the fuse box for our room was located in the room next door. It was occupied by a family with several kids. They were very understanding about the problem and allowed us to flip the breaker. Key note about maintenance--staff informed us there is one maintenance person on duty for 500 rooms--this was at 700 pm on Sunday, a popular check in day when problems are discovered.

Just before bedtime, another light was turned on and the power was gone again. We waited till morning to contact the front desk and were advised that an electrician would be out to fix it that day. Well, it took two more days. So now we are five days into our stay and have not had a fully functional room. When we contacted the FD on the first day the electrician did not arrive, we were told there was no manager on the property to speak to and wouldn't be for another 7 hours. Whether this is true (which I doubt) or not, it speaks loudly of management to have a staff person say this. If management is hiding, that is bad. If management doesn't know what staff is telling guests, it's worst.
When we called and asked to speak to the manager, we were greeted with, "I already told your son, there's no manager here." We explained that we don't have a son with us but the staff insisted we did until she determined that someone had failed to update the room status. Apparently, the people in the room before us had been moved due to the electricity issue and no one updated their system. Two BIG issues here--why give a room that you have a known problem with to someone who has already had a bad room? It is scary to think that room status is not updated when people move. If someone had tried to contact us, they would have been sent to the other room. Or, if someone were visiting the previous tenant, they might have been sent to us. And no manager on duty to take responsibility.
If you are thinking about buying time share here, look around. The gas grills were never operational during our seven night visit despite three contacts with maintenance. The dumpster was overflowing with garbage. The pool was so thick with chlorine, I shampooed three times afterwards and never went back.
Bartlett is a nice area. Nice trails. Beautiful waterfalls. Good food at Glen Junction and the Lobster Trap. But look for another place to stay. This place really is Hotel Impossible!

Room Tip: The second unit we stayed in was Stony Brook which is new. That helps but check for electricity. Als...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank r808m
NHAMSCO, Front Office Manager at Attitash Mountain Village, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We are sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was not as expected, and assure you based your report does not meet our standards that we strive for and expect of our staff. It sounds as though this stay was booked into our resort through RCI Vacation Ownership in River Run Condominiums. River Run is our silver crown resort on property. We have been and are continuing to make upgrades and updates to our properties, including this particular building in order to bring it up to what RCI considers a Gold Crown standard.Some of the units have been completely upgraded and others are still in the process. Upon hearing your concerns with the original unit you booked, we offered an upgrade at no extra charge to the newest building we have. That building just opened the beginning of the month and each unit had only been used a few times prior to your stay. Before we allow our guests in the units, our team works diligently to try to prevent and problems and foresee any issues that may come up. However, we are not always able to predict everything that could happen with a new building. We have been able to rectify the electricity issue and have not had any major problems with the building since. We have a large maintenance staff on property that handles all the units as well as the grounds. While the entire staff is not always on property at the same time, we always make sure there is a staff member on property, and another on call to deal with issues that may come up. On property, we have another RCI affiliated resort called Suites at Attitash. These units are our Gold Crown section and may have been a little more to your liking.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here last weekend with our two grandchildren to make a trip to Storyland. I chose this place because of its convenient location, and because I could reserve a two bedroom condo and have the kids right with us. The unit was billed as being big enough for 6 - 10 people. No way!! The living room, which consisted of one sofa and a gas fireplace, kitchen facilities and dining table were all encompassed in one small area, barely adequate for two adults and two children, and hardly large enough for 6 - 10 people! The two bedrooms were located upstairs and it was so hot up there with no air conditioning that it was unbearable, and there were no windows to open. There was an air conditioner in the downstairs living area so I had to sleep on the couch instead of in the king size bed upstairs. The furniture was nothing special throughout (except for the couch which was decent). Furnishings were substandard in most respects and not at all as nice as other two bedroom condos I have stayed in for less money. The twin beds in the kids' rooms had terrible mattresses on them. Overall, the resort itself was nice enough with a nice outdoor pool, and other amenities, but we came especially for the accommodations, which were very expensive, $279 per night for a two bedroom unit! And for this price, there was no maid service, except that she came in one day and left some towels on the toilet seat! I don't know if all of the 2 bedroom units are as bad as the one we had, but for our first experience here, overall, I was very disappointed and would not stay here again when returning to the area.

Room Tip: I had written to inquire if there were different types of room set ups, but although asking twice, I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Shar C
We are very sorry to hear that your most recent stay with us was not as you had expected. All of our rooms are very different: they vary in size, layout and decoration. We always recommend calling our Reservations Office 1-800-860-1600 in order to ensure the best fit for every stay. Our 2 bedroom units are, again, all very different and sleep different amounts of guests in different layouts. When we say 'sleep 6-10 people' that means some sleep 6, some sleep 7, etc, etc. Our largest 2 bedroom would sleep up to 10 people. Some of the 2 bedrooms are smaller than others that is why we offer a range of the amount of guests they sleep. They are all still technically 2 bedrooms since they have 2 private bedrooms. Since a large portion of our units are individually owned, the owner can decorate them however they wish and put in their own furniture and other fixtures. We have maintenance on property everyday from 8am until 11pm to help assist with any problems any of our guests are having. Our maintenance crew may have been able to visit the unit with the mattresses you mentioned and see if there is anything they can do. If they cannot rectify the situation, we contact the individual owner and often times require them to make upgrades as needed to their unit(s) in order to continue on our rental program. If we do not hear about the concerns with the units, we cannot always resolve the concern before the next guest arrives. We very much appreciate the feedback and will continue to inspect all units to make sure they are at the highest of standards that we require at Attitash Mountain Village. IF BOOKING ONLINE - BE SURE TO INDICATED THE TOTAL NUMBER OF GUESTS STAYING IN THE ROOM, and number of beds needed in the special request field.
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a week at Attitash Mountain Village in one of their newer Presidential condos. We traded our timeshare for a 2 bdrm - Our condo was two adjoining units (1 bdrm & a studio) which was more than enough space for our family of 4. Unit was huge. A/C, gas fireplaces, laundry, full kitchen - everything we needed for a fantastic vacation. Great home base - did lots of hiking and touring thru the White Mtns, shopping at the outlets in N Conway and day trips to Lake Winnipesaukee and Portland. I would definitely come here again.

• Stayed August 2012
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Maybe it was a bad room, but looking at other reviews I had high expectations. I know it is a condo and maybe each room is controlled by the actual owner but....

Walked in to a dingy looking room with outdated everything. Looks like it was all original except for the carpet. Stained bed spread, little bit of a smell that seemed to come from the carpet or the older couch. My wife insisted on cleaning everything and was miserable.

The GPS initially took us into the Attitash Grand Hotel and I had to explain to my wife it was wrong one. Not sure how this place was rated higher than the Grand in Trip Advisor from what I saw.

Aside from the dingy room, the noise was unbearable. I could hear everything from the rooms beside and above us. EVERYTHING...all night and starting again at 5:30am. Both units with kids (I traveled with a child myself) but the constant running around sounded like it was in our unit. The walls were so thin we could hear every sneeze (no joke).

Unfortunately, We actually checked out a day early. Front staff was very understanding and suggested we should have called but not sure they could have insulated the walls.

On the plus...it was a great location and other families seemed to be enjoying themselves (especially the ones above and beside us). Have to give this place a thumbs down...at least for us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank hungrydad
NHAMSCO, Front Office Manager at Attitash Mountain Village, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was not up to your expectations nor our standards here at Attitash Mountain Village. While some of our units are individually owned, the resort sets specific standards that all owners must adhere to in order to continue with our rental program. The resort frequently inspects all owned units for these standards and reports back to the owners if any repairs/upgrades need to be done. We also use feedback from our guests in order to determine what units may need some attention. Unfortunately, we do not know exactly which unit you stayed in during your stay in order to do an inspection on this particular unit.

While the front desk may not have been able to insulate the walls of your unit while you were staying, it is imperative that you contact the front desk if there is anything wrong with your unit during your stay. All of our units and all of our buildings are set up a little differently so there could have been a unit elsewhere that didn’t have neighbors above you and that could have reduced the noise factor. We appreciate any feedback from our guests, especially if they are not fully enjoying their stay, in order for the front desk to try to make it a better experience while they are still with us.

We very much appreciate the feedback and would be willing to discuss your experience in more detail if you would be interested. You can contact the resort directly at 603-374-6500 and ask to speak to a manager and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you.
Coventry, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 30, 2012

we recently stayed at the Attitash Mountian Village for a 2 night 3 day stay. Everything about it was GREAT, no complaints here! Our room was big and clean. Not only was the location great, but there were many things to do right at Attitash to keep the little ones busy. The pools were big and clean and they especially loved the trail leading to the Saco River! My daughter who is only 2 and a hlf called it her "room" and asks everyday when can we go back? I will definitly be booking this place for all of our trips to NH from now on!

natick
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We found a condo listed on Homeaway from home website, and spoke with the owner of the unit. I was very worried renting someone elses home due to my child with multiple sensitivities to dust and mold and animal dander...I was reassured the unit had no smell no pets and no smoking....From the pictures it looked spacious and clean, not cluttery at all. I was pleasantly surprised when we got there how clean and modern the unit was..It accomodated all of our needs, we had plenty of room for 2 families. The kitchen came well equipped with everything needed to cook. It was quiet where we stayed, it felt like we were in a home not a hotel or condo. We used the outdoor pool, plenty of lounge chairs, kids had a blast..it was clean and the bath house was new and beautiful....I have heard each unit is different I was just thankful the one we picked was cream of the crop....I will definitely consider this again next year.....

1 Thank lynda c
Kingston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2012

For me customer service makes or breaks a hotel, Attitash MV rocks. We made a mistake on our reservation (I recommend not doing it online but calling and talking to a real person), the staff went above and beyond to help us correct the problem and to ensure that our stay was all that we were hoping for. The rooms were very clean, the pools were well maintained and the location was perfect for us.

1 Thank Donna B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
Bartlett Inn
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
Swiss Chalets Village Inn
Swiss Chalets Village Inn
#2 of 3 in Intervale

Been to Attitash Mountain Village? Share your experiences!