“fun place fun people”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bartlett
Boston, Massachusetts
“fun place fun people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have stayed at Sky valley for a few years. Love it for many reasons. always clean, neat , well maintained. the friendly staff are always there. Ground always top notch. helpful on dinner places. walking the river fun in spring when the run off is happening. Wild life often in yard. fun to see. Pool is always clean and full. toys in grass area for children in great shape. When ever we are there families seem to be having fun. Breakfast good and filling and always plenty. Cereal and fruit as in most places now. Highly say go stay enjoy

Room Tip: we love room 16 but the smaller units are just as grand. Next stay we plan to rent apartment c. in w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mlaar
dave16, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We are glad that everything was perfect once again. You seemed to have "covered all the bases" and I can think of nothing further to add.

Both Maureen and I look forward to seeing you the next time you get to Bartlett. Thank You.

Dave/Maureen

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Nashua, New Hampshire, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at Sky Valley back in July for two nights, and after thoroughly researching accommodations in the area, we made the right choice. I believe this place is exactly how it presents on the website, and in no way do they try to sell themselves as something they are not. We had four adults and one child and stayed in Chalet 26. The bedrooms were adequate - the grandparents stayed in the "master bedroom" and my husband and I shared the second bedroom with our three year old. It was nice to have two bathrooms, and the rest of the rooms were perfectly acceptable. Is it dated? Absolutely. Was it clean? Yes. Were certain things in need of updating? Of course, but nothing that interfered with the comfort of our stay. Quick drive to Storyland, huge field and playground right out the front door, plenty of room to ride a bike, fire pit, gas grill, and the pool was awesome. If you are someone who can't deal with small bathrooms and "rustic" features, this is not the place for you. We, however, didn't want to spend a small fortune on accommodations and the privacy of our own Chalet was absolutely perfect. We are already talking about going back next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leslie932
Horray ! Another happy customer. When people are happy with their unit, the surroundings and the facilities AND take the time to write about it in a public forum, it really makes our day. (Does that make it sound like we need to get a life?)

Actually, Inn-keeping IS our life and we really make every effort to present clean functional units that we can rent with pride. I doubt we will ever catch up with the Sheratons or Hiltons, but what we may lack in "new and modern" we more than make up for in attention to detail and personality. And; they will never match our rates.

Thanks for putting out the good word and we look forward to your next visit to Sky Valley.

Dave and Maureen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Let me start by saying I am not a motel kind of person. I usually stay in a hotel with all the amenities at your finger tips.
Upon arrival we were greeted by Dave himself and he was very inviting. h explained the ground rules, offered us a coupon for a free night, gave us a pamphlet with some important info about the local area, and he recommended a few places to eat.
We were pleasantly surprised when we entered the room to find it clean and fairly modern, as well a pretty spacious for 2 adults and 2 kids. when we returned the room after a long day at Story Land we were happy to see that the room had been cleaned to perfection.
all in all we had great time at sky valley

1 Thank Michael W
We appreciate that you took some time from your busy schedule to write your thoughts about Sky Valley and that everything was up to your expectations. Loretta takes great pride in making up her rooms as if it were for her own family.

We hope to see you again the next time you find yourself in Bartlett.

Dave/Maureen.
Boston, Massachusetts, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Needed a place to stay for a couple nights so me and my girlfriend could hike Mt. Washington, ans Sky Valley was perfect. We stayed in apartment C and was fantastic, The fireplace and the kitchen were great, and the drive to the base of the mountain short.

Room Tip: New mattress, please.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
dave16, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. We are glad you enjoyed Apartment "C", it is a great choice for two people.

Mattresses are certainly complicated inventions. Depending on personal preference we have had them described as "too soft, too hard, and just right". And all those folks are describing the same mattress in the same unit. The queen size mattress in Apartment "C" is only a few years old but I am going to check it out tomorrow just to be sure there hasn't been some massive malfunction.

We are glad your trip was a success and we look forward to your next journey to Bartlett.

Dave and Maureen
West Haven, Connecticut, Usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

myself and my two young sons stayed at Sky Valley for a trip to Storyland and the local attractions. Sky Valley was very clean the pool was nice and the property was spacious. The rooms like I previously said where a little old but I had expected thisas I heard the motels are shabby/chic. overall we had a great trip and enjoyed our day at the sky valley I will definitely refer it to family and friends and I an planning to return in fall 2014.

appreciated that

Room Tip: the room was a little old I did appreciate that the bathroom was updated overall everything was grea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Yes, I noticed you and and boys seemed to be having a great time. It's nice to see families spending time together.

Your unit was built in 1955 and in those days it was "top of the line". Back then having a radio and coin operated TV set in the room was a rare amenity. We have come a long way since then although the desk in your unit is the very same one that was there 57 years ago. Nothing much else has survived from those bygone days.

The bathroom upgrades were a necessary and much appreciated improvement but we still have some old time flavor and it seems most of our customers like that feature. We keep upgrading things as time and budgets allow .

We are glad you enjoyed and look forward to seeing you again, whenever that may be.

Maureen & Dave
Robbinsville, New Jersey, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

It's been ten years since the last time we at Sky Valley. Dave and Maureen made our stay comfortable and relaxing. The cottage we stayed in was clean. The grounds are well maintained. The pool was wonderful. The location is great and not far from Conway.

2 Thank Robert B
I intended to catch up with you for a bit longer of a chat about what you've been up to for the past ten years but it seemed things always came up that prevented me getting to see you.

I'm glad everything was A-OK and perhaps it won't be another ten years before you get back here. See you then,

Dave
Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband, myself and our two year old son stayed in one of the motel rooms. We enjoyed Story Land, shopping and great food while in NH. The package was super cheap, and I figured you get what you pay for ... but that was OK with us. Since we only used the room for sleeping and showering, the old tatty decor wasn't a huge deal. (We did stop at a nearby outlet store though, and grab some blankets [our were a little musty]). It's a run of the mill motel though, again we didn't care nor complain. We didn't complain about anything actually ... the musty smell, falling ceiling, raggedy carpet, windows that need wood blocks to stay open, or falling apart furniture. We just decided to bite our tongue, and enjoy NH. We were there for that anyway, not the motel! We stayed our two nights, and upon leaving were greeted by the cleaning lady. She was super nice and began cleaning our room as we we're finishing packing the car. We drove up to the front where my husband went in to check us out. So far you may question why this is in the terrible category .. well ... Our whole package was $329 and the gentleman I spoke with when reserving took a deposit of $100 leaving a balance of $229 to pay which we did upon checking in. When we arrived back home in RI, we checked our accounts to see that the hotel charged us an additional fee of $150 ... When I called to speak to somebody about this an extremely rude man told me somebody in our room "took a knife and shredded up a "new chair"". First of all, I would have noticed a "shredded" chair. Secondly, my husband and myself not even to mention my two year old ... have no use shredding furniture in our spare time. Lastly, this charge was not even brought up to us. When I called I asked this man why nobody decided to bring this to our attention before leaving and he honestly told me "I'm telling you now." What? Are you kidding me? After telling him I was pretty sure I didn't destroy the property he went on to tell me mid sentence "Shut up, I'll reverse the charge. I hate people like you. Don't ever come back here!" Wow, great management skills! I did have to call the bank to report an UN-authorized charge, so hopefully this place refunds the $150 so it doesn't become a civil suite. After telling my husband how I was spoken, to he did call the guy back. Funny ... he didn't tell my husband to shut up! Next year, I think we'll do a little more research on our hotel. Any place that scams families to make their money is not a place for me. Imagine how many people he's done this to and gotten away with it? Sick ...

Room Tip: Don't book here!
4 Thank Britney B
Dave E, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Sometimes it is difficult to remain calm when being screamed at on the phone by an irate person,..and in this situation, to my own surprise, my usual easy-going style completely deteriorated.

We take issue with Britney's description of the unit, but that aside, we do know that particular chair was in perfect condition and nearly new when Britney checked-in. A short time after check-out the "nice housekeeper" noticed that there were about 18 punctures, each about a half inch long, in both the seat and back of the upholstered chair, as if made by a pencil or pen or some other sharp or pointed object. The damage was obvious enough that she ("the nice housekeeper") would have noticed it prior to their arrival had it been a pre-existing condition.

We are 99% sure that this damage occurred during their stay. Our check-in materials are quite clear that extra charges will be made for damages or "trashing" a room, so no big surprise there. We are a bit curious why the first task when getting home was to check your card charges, if not to see if the damages had been discovered. The lesson to be gained from this is that when you are charged for something that you don't think is right, just call and start screaming insults and accusations. Viola, charges reversed, establishment takes the loss. Works like a charm. This is the first time this year we have charged anyone for damages. It's not a "scam"...recovering damages is part of the business...but, as this proves, it is often futile.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
Bartlett Inn
#2 of 3 in Intervale
Attitash Mountain Village
Attitash Mountain Village
#3 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Sky Valley Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!