“A cut above”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
portsmouth, NH
“A cut above”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Hands down winner of the best chocolate ice cream is Ghiardelli's DownTown Disney, Orlando Florida, but this creamery in Barrington is a close second. I enjoyed every bite of my homemade chocolate dipped waffle cone and 2 scoops of their wonderful, rich and creamy chocolate ice cream. My guest loved his caramel crunch as well......We plan to go again soon and try the highly recommended coconut ice cream topped with hot fudge....should be delicious.
This creamery is less for kids and more for people who love an exceptional product made right there at the creamery---not trucked in from somewhere else. While you're there, check out the shop; it is absolutely spotless----all topping are covered and not a dribble of melted ice cream anywhere.
Can't figure out why anyone would give Sugar & Ice a low rating-----however, you are getting a premium product so expect to pay a little more, or you can head south a mile or so, pay the same prices and get a mediocre product at the next ice cream shop---you decide!

• Visited July 2012

Nashua, New Hampshire
“Yummy ice cream, good play area, okay service”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The ice cream was delicious and the play area kept my toddlers happy while we were there. I didn't place our orders, so I can't say anything about the service in that respect, but when I asked another question of them and went to return my plate (I had a waffle bowl that came with a real plate) it wasn't good nor bad service...just pretty average. Prices did seem a bit high, but then again I think prices at all of our local stands have been going up too...

• Visited July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Real Disappointment from the Expected”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My family and I heard about Sugar and Ice from the internet, and it seemed very attractive from the highway. We were in high spirits as we approached the ice cream selections, with plenty of alternate options. I ordered Brownie Batter, a flavor I am quite fond of and usually know what to expect: a rich chocolate ice cream, with fudge and small brownie pieces, all in a sugar cone. The result was none of the previously stated. After ordering, we were told that Brownie batter couldn't be in a sugar cone because there was "too much product," and we would have to purchase a waffle cone, a more expensive option. Another person, however was able to get vanilla in a sugar cone. We choose dishes instead, and were strongly disappointed when we received one shabby scoop of a rather bland chocolate ice cream in a cheap paper bowl. No brownie pieces or fudge to be found. We left Sugar and Ice feeling rather insulted, and quite hungry.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank charlestheman423
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Warm waffle cones!”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I've eaten a LOT of ice cream in my life and I've never had it in a FRESH baked, WARM waffle cone. If you're like me, you might think that would prematurely melt your ice cream, but, surprisingly, it doesn't! I don't know how or why, but it just works and it's delicious!

While the cones are a touch expensive, the ice cream itself is really good. Make sure you bring cash because they don't take credit card and the nearest ATM is a couple of miles away... as we found out the hard way.

Barrington, New Hampshire
“Heaven in a cone!”
Reviewed September 16, 2010

My husband and I have made Sunday evenings that one special day during the week when we can splurge and visit Uli for ice cream. I always get a scoop of Belgium chocolate with a scoop of Madagascar vanilla, usually in a made-just-for-you waffle cone. That's the first thing you smell when you drive up to the building is the waffle cone wafting through the air to meet you. Uli is a master ice cream maker and I am not sure what we did before she moved to Barrington. Yummy!