“Cozy and warm”
Review of Zephyr Cove Resort

Zephyr Cove Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 13, 2011

My family has been coming to the Zephyr Cove area for years. The beauty of the cove, access to lake activities and the Dixie and being removed from the casino scene make it a wonderful place to stay at Lake Tahoe. The Zephyr Cove Resort provides a cozy, mountain cabin style, lakefront place to stay. Situated on a beautiful beach, even in the winter, the cabins are nicely maintained, provide adequate amenities, plus the resort has a very nice restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Zephyr Cove Resort

Reviewed January 9, 2011

Stayed here first week in October. Although at this time of year the grounds were quiet, the cabin itself was a HUGE disappointment. The rates charged (almost $200 a night) were not on par with what was offered in the cabin. Our cabin was a simple, two-room cabin (living area & bathroom).

No extra blankets were provided. Strange, considering the elevation is 7,000 feet and nights on Tahoe are always chilly. Needless to say, we were cold that first night. Because we often travel by vehicle, I just retrieved our own blanket from the truck to keep us warm the remainder of our stay. Why didn't we sleep with the heater turned on? It was very old and very loud. Located right next to the bed, there is no way, unless equipped with strong ear plugs, anyone could have gotten a decent night's sleep with it rattling all night long.

The restaurant on the premises was more of a diner in atmosphere and food fare. Standard American grub that didn't suit our palates. We took one look at it and the menu and never ate there, preferring to drive the 5 to 7 minutes into town for better, affordably priced meals.

Although the campgrounds/resort advertise wireless Internet in the amenities offered, it's not quite what it's touted to be. In our cabin, close to the road, the only way to get sufficient bars to stay on the wifi was to sit in the front doorway of the cabin with the door open because once inside, the signal dropped precipitously.

No real staff complaints. Dogs are allowed and to the staff's credit, when we called the front desk to complain about a perpetually barking dog (first making contact with the owner to ask if he could keep his dog indoors to keep him from barking at every squirrel and only calling the desk when our request went unheeded after three hours), the staff was able to abate our complaint by having the owner relocate the dog inside the cabin.

Access to the resort's beach was only steps away so strolling on the edges of Lake Tahoe was a real plus for this resort and is the only reason it garnered two stars from me.

My biggest complaints are with the cabin's bathroom--it sorely lacked any common-sense approach to its function! Not one shelf to set down even a toothbrush. Although a 1980s style oak medicine cabinet was available to store some items, it was pretty useless. The shelves couldn't even hold my toothpaste without keeping the cabinet door ajar. One drawer in the cabinet kept falling on my head when I'd bend over to brush my teeth in the shallow sink. This was a constant because the chain mechanism that was supposed to hold it up no longer did. I had to brush with one hand holding the drawer while my other hand hep my toothbrush.

No curtains on the window in the bathroom meant discretion was important, therefore, whenever I used the bathroom--especially when showering--I did so with the lights off so I wouldn't be back lit and caught unawares by any passers-by who happened by the eye-level bathroom window. For modesty's sake, it was imperative. Also, within the shower stall itself there was no light, making bathing an even darker experience.

The "amenities" provided in the bathroom are screwed to a wall and when you need soap or shampoo dispensed, you press a button, just as you would in a pubic restroom. Very institutional in feel. But if you don't mind it, then great. I minded. For $200 a night at a "resort," it would have been nice to feel a real bar of soap in my hands.

The camp-style shower was dirty...moldy, scummy and, as previously cited, very, very dark. Mentioning the lack of cleanliness during check-out after being asked how I enjoyed my stay, I uttered this non-sequitir, "Amazing what an old toothbrush can do to clean a shower...you guys should try it!"

Overall, this "resort" did not commensurate with $200 bucks a night, especially during the off-season.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Congratulations to the management and staff of Zephyr Cove Resort for providing clean, warm & cosy cabins along with a fantastic restaurant and good old fashioned friendly service.
The location is perfect and we loved the snow!
Our aim is to come back during the summer months in hopefully not the too distant future.
Thanks for the memories!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2010

My husband and I have been coming to Zephyr for over three years. We spent our engagement , our Wedding night, the first part of our honeymoon, and our first and second anniversary at the Cove. The cabins have always been delightful and immaculate. The staff is more than accommodating. Could not recommend a more romantic place to spend time with that special someone. Looking forward to many more years at this wonderful place.

Reviewed November 15, 2010

The dinner was excellent. My husband had a New York steak that looked like a roast and he said it was wonderful. I had the roasted pork medallions and they were mouth watering good. The vegetables were fresh and not overcooked. The wine and milieu were perfect with the fireplace in the background. I will look forward to eating here again.

Reviewed November 2, 2010

Fun quiet place; great location. We enjoyed the Dixie Queen experience and the walk along the Zephyr Cove beach front.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Four generations of our family have been coming to Zephyr Cove Resort now for 60 years. I have fond memories of it as a child, but a trip in the early 2000s that put me off a bit. There were maintenance issues that needed to be addressed; the cabins were pretty run-down. Well, I was just up there for a family reunion and birthday celebration - with people ranging in age from 5 to 52 and two little dogs - and couldn't have been more pleased with the transformation! The cabins have new decks, dry rot near the showers has been fixed, new dry wall installed, new roofs on the cabins. And there was a strong (free) WiFi signal even on the beach! The only drawback is the way pricing is handled: as the resort nears complete occupancy, rates go up! Maybe this is normal at resorts, but we were stunned to pay as much for a lodge room (spacious as it was, and equipped with Starbucks coffee) as my siblings were paying for cabins. We couldn't have our dog with us in the lodge, but one of our party kept him overnight for us in their cabin. And while he couldn't go on the sandy public beach, there's nice paved trails everywhere, with one leading to a rocky cove where he had a ball jumping in and out of the water. If you had qualms about the cabins after a bad experience, like we did, give Zephyr Cove another try - it's really been fixed up!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zephyr Cove
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
#11 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Lakeside Inn and Casino
Lakeside Inn and Casino
#2 of 9 in Stateline
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
Hotel Azure
Hotel Azure
#13 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino

Been to Zephyr Cove Resort? Share your experiences!