“Family Fun”

GreenLeadersGold level
Yorba Linda, California
“Family Fun”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great get away! Our family thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Zephyr Cove Cabins. The two bedroom cabin was perfect for a family of four. Location is super for activites from the MS Dixie to kayaking to swimming. Warning Tahoe water never warms! We would had liked more kitchen equipment for cooking meals at the cabin. We had to purchase a spatuala, tongs and a cookie sheet. Our cabin was stocked with two pots and one fry pan plus a big knife and a few spoons. Staff was friendly. Liked that you could park right next to your cabin.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
turlock
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My good friend & I came up to tent camp Labor day weeknd. We decided too try to get a cabin for the next 3-days, We asked if there was anything available & there was. All of the staff were very helpful in the office & outside help also, especially cindy, outside camp host. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: Lake front cabins
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Our family gathered at Zephyr Cove Resort during the first part of August, 2012. Both cabins were very nicely appointed and clean. The grandchildren especially loved playing on the beautiful and extremely clean beach. We will definitely come back to Zephyr Cove for another family get-together.

Room Tip: Cabins #10-15 are excellent two couples.
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Zephyr Cove Nevada was the destination for our group motorcycle trip. We shared a 2 bedroom 2 story lake front chalet with another couple. We liked that it was a gated area so only those registered can be there. We liked that we could park right next to the cabins. We liked the location of our cabin since it was the closest to the lake.

We reserved a variety of different cabins within out group. One had a duplex type near the restaurant and store which was nice and very spacious. One had a studio suite which was small but still nice. Other friends had a 2 bedroom Chalet right next to ours. We all thought that the log cabins were very attractive and well appointed with lots of windows so they were bright and sunny and the windows could be opened to get a good cross breeze.

Our cabin had a flat screen TV, large fireplace and nice furnishings but I was surprised at how small the rooms in this style of cabin really were. The rooms were really too small for the amount and type of furniture that was put in them and it was a tight squeeze getting around some of it.
The ground floor bedroom looked nice, had quality bedding and the bed was comfortable but the space was tiny and the bed was pushed up against the wall with only one side table. We moved it over as far as we could so we wouldn't have to crawl over each other to get out of bed.There was a flat screen hanging on the wall (no where else to put it since the room is so tiny) but there was no remote so we didn't get to use it until the next night.
The bathroom was tiny, shower only,toilet and pedestal sink and really no place to put our stuff. Also no toilet paper so we had to call house keeping right away.
The kitchen was small but nicely updated and attractive and well furnished with microwave, dishes, pots and pans, dish soap, paper towels etc. Not much room to cook though. We did restaurants so it didn't affect us much.
I now know why there are no photos on the website of the upstairs bedroom. It was ridiculous and we gave the couple sharing some money back because it wasn't fair for them to pay as much as we did. Once you get up the narrow, steep steps you enter a cubby with two beds squeezed into the space. Adults can barely stand near the beds because of the roof line. I don't know how housekeeping even makes the beds.There is no closet. This room is obviously designed for children or very tiny adults and the public should be told this prior to booking. Had we known this we would have gone for a bigger cabin or each gotten our own studio cabins.

There was a deck on the front of the cabin, outdoor furniture for each cabin (some in worn condition) There was a tiny rusted grill in back of each cabin. Ours was full of wet wood and debris that housekeeping ignored so we didn't use it. The promised bag of charcoal was half gone and wet. Even cleaned out I wouldn't have used it. (Bring your own if you have a portable one) Fire pits would make more sense.

The location was really great and shaded by wonderful pine trees.(Dripping sap so watch where you park) The views were very nice. Lots to do at the lake including a lakeside bar for the adults. The big cruising boat was out of service when we were there which was pretty disappointing.
The resort store was a joke unless you wanted T shirts or $2 bottle of water. The inventory was very sparse. We drove to the Safeway about 3-4 miles up the road for our supplies.The Cove restaurant was ok and convenient.

There was a large family reunion going on while we were there and they looked like they were having a great time. It really is a great place for that kind of event and a great place to bring your children.The cabins are spaced far enough apart that you have some privacy and have some room to gather at the tables outside without being in your neighbor's space which is nice and how it should be.

All and all to sum up our stay at Zephyr cove. It was a fun one time experience. We thought the cabins were clean and nicely appointed even if they were a tight squeeze. We liked the location, views and lake access but we really think our cabin rental rate of $630 for 2 nights is way too high to make us want to rent here again and we'll try something different if we return to this area.

Room Tip: The closer to the lake the better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Laredo,tx
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is expensive (70) as far as Rv parks go, but location its everything. I was not happy that the Rv sites are so close to each other, but the camp got real quiet by 9pm no noisy neighbors. I was most impressed with the bathroom-shower setup. Very clean for such a rustic area. The setting is beautiful surrounded by beautiful trees and we were blessed to have a view of the lake. The beach was very crowded and the water was freezing, so the kids couldn't enjoy swimming but they enjoyed rock climbing and hiking. All in all Lake tahoe its gorgeous but you need a boat to enjoy it, the water is just too cold for swimming. If you don't like crowds this beach area its not for you.

Fremont, California
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This place is not cheap being that its a campground, but compared to the prices of hotels and cabins around Lake Tahoe, I guess you could do worse. We were in an RV close to the front, and you are literally RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER. Thank god we weren't in a tent. I think the sites in the back were a little more private from our drive-by but not positive about that. This is NOT the place to stay if you are wanting a wilderness camping experience. BUT if you want to stay relatively cheaply somewhere in Lake Tahoe in the summer this is a great bet. First of all they have free hot showers and a laundromat on site. Secondly, they have a (pricey) restaurant and beach stand and bar across the street at the gorgeous wide sand beach. We ate at the restaurant once and it was very decent but too expensive for what you get--oh and the general store next door if you are thinking of getting groceries had the MOST INFLATED prices I had EVER seen!!! Think $18 for a 6-pack of beer!!! Anyway, I digress. We had a fantastic time at this place because it was located across the street from the beach which was an absolutely gorgeous beach, it had a bar if you wanted drinks (the bar was pretty average priced surprisingly), a snack shack if you wanted snacks (you have to want snacks really badly b/c a burger and fries was $12!!!). I know I keep going on about the prices but... lol. So what else can you do here? Horseback riding next door! Ride the bus to the casinos and shops and restaurants in Stateline (and get some normal priced groceries). If you do have a car, which we didn't (hence the bus), Stateline is only about 4 miles away and its very nice, a happy little town. To sum it all up, pack your groceries to bring with you, and then come and prepare to be very friendly with your neighbors. Then take your picnic to the beach an go to the town at night and you will have a WONDERFUL vacation despite the downfalls! Oh yea, and the customer service was really nice and the showers and bathrooms were very clean. On a side note for comparison to people who are trying to figure out where to camp at Lake Tahoe, we had passed Camp Richardson in South Lake Tahoe several times earlier on this trip and this place looked WAY better. I mean ZC Resort was crowded but that place was RIDICULOUSLY crowded and right on the street! I almost stayed there at CR based on reviews and I am so glad I didnt! That place was a ZOO!

Room Tip: The sites closer to the front are probably the least private but the shortest distance to the beach...
Porterville, California
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We wanted to bring the travel trailer to Lake Tahoe for the 4th of July week and found Zephyr Cove near State Line and right across the street from the Lake. Perfect location as far as we were concerned. A couple days prior to leaving I called to see if we had been assigned a site yet. I was hoping for something near the front and along the outside tree line. We were told we were scheduled for 110 as of that moment and the guy I spoke with said he didn't expect we'd be moved. Well, when we arrived it turns out we did get moved. We drove by the site they placed us in and just kept on going right back around to registration again. The site we were given was probably one of the least desirable sites I could have choose for myself. And there were plenty of better sites in the same general area, including site 110 I had expected. My wife went in and politely asked if we could take 110 instead and her charm must have worked as well on them as it does on me. We parked in 110 for the week.

The roads and pad were all paved which was nice. The trees were big and provide a beautiful environment and lots of shade. However, I immediately realized that these nicely paved sites were nowhere close to level. No problem, we got the trailer level and proceeded to enjoy our week in Lake Tahoe. The site included a nice picnic table and good sized fire ring which are both important to me. I enjoy my outside time when I go RVing.

My first visit to the rest rooms and showers was a positive one. They looked to be clean and well maintained. I had expected to have to pay for the showers but it turns out they were complimentary instead, so that was an added bonus. When we later walked around and explored the rest of the park we noticed that many of the sites were poorly laid out. Some were very narrow, others had the tables and fire ring on the opposite side of the RV door/canopy which we found odd. Some had the table and fire ring at the back of the site behind the trailer which also wasn't ideal. We decided we were very fortunate to have the site we had.

All was going well until the crowds started rolling for the 4th of July celebration. We had no idea Zephyr Cove turned into Daytona Beach Spring Break during the 4th. Luckily we spent most of the day at State Line. When we returned that evening after the fireworks show, the park never seemed the same. The bathrooms were literally trashed. OK, I can understand that after an all-day party. But the next morning they still weren't cleaned. At 8:30 a.m. there wasn't any toilet paper, paper towels, or even seat covers in any of the rest rooms, except for what was littering the floors or overflowing from the trash cans. I finally walked to the rest rooms and showers near the office and found them to be a little better, luckily. Later that day they had been restocked but were still not as clean as they had been previously. Very disappointing. I can only hope this was an unusual couple of days and not the norm.

Unfortunately, I'll probably try one of the other parks in the area the next time we visit the area. Although our site was nice, I would not have been happy at all with most of the sites I saw there. Unless I could be guaranteed this same site, I don't think I'd take the chance.

Room Tip: The "Lake View" sites are right along the road (Highway 50) so there will be a lot more ro...
1 Thank DGriz
#7 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Azure
Hotel Azure
#15 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Zephyr Cove Resort? Share your experiences!