“Overcrowded boat!”

and up
Lake Tahoe's Emerald Bay Cruise on M.S. Dixie II
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Zephyr Cove
More attraction details
Owner description: From daytime to sunset, The MS Dixie / Lake Tahoe Cruises offer spectacular views, fresh air and an unforgettable journey.
Concord, California, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Overcrowded boat!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My son and I were looking forward to cruising Lake Tahoe aboard the old paddlewheeler MS Dixie recently. The boat was scheduled to leave at noon. We departed some time after 12:45. There was an announcement that the Dixie could hold 600 people, I'm sure there we at least that many or more on board. Way too crowded. Hard to move around. Bathrooms all had overflowing trash cans and some toilets. Scenery was great, but I would not recommend if the boat is full.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Lynn B

• Korean first
Richmond, California
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

First at all, this company offers a variety of trips, and its boats the M. S. DIXIE II and T. Q. some offering meals, and one offering live music and dance, so you can find which one is the best accord your group and ages.

My husband, mother-in-law, two years old daughter and me did enjoy the experience at this boat, during the fall Sep/Oct, and it was a beautiful sunny and warm day! I did take some jackets thinking we will need them during the trip around the awesome LAKE TAHOE, but it was not the case at all! We spent some time at the upper deck and enjoyed of the nice lunch indoors, to return for another chance of views at the upper deck, you can choose where you can be depending of the people you are traveling with! We used a wheelchair for in-law and the stroller for kiddo, and the personnel were so helpful both at the beginning and at the end of this relaxing, and amazing trip!
We were looking for the crystal glass window bottom the boats used to have but we were told that for some regulations they need to cover them!
At the end of our trip, walking though the embarcadero, one man passed out, and several people, including my husband assisted him, and the captain and other stuff came to the help too, and the response was prompt and safety, while waiting for the ambulance, therefore, I can say all of them were very helpful and professionals.
We would like to take the boats on the winter to have a view of Lake Tahoe snowing views.

Fremont, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Incompetent Captain”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The two hour cruise is worth the time and money for expeiencing the beauty and history of Lake Tahoe. However on this trip were very disappointed in the last 1/2 hour of the trip. We were seated in the enclosed area of the ship through out the journey bwcause we had an one month infant in a stroller in our group of six. we would take turns going outside or upper decks to enjoy the view. However in the last 1/2 hour a man came and sat on an adjacent table and started constantly descreetly smoking an e-cigarette. first we thought it might be an inhaler but than he was constantly blowing smoke. So we brought to the attention of the staff and the captain. They said they could do nothing as e-cigarette is legal anywhere on the ship yet they had designated smoking area on the upper deck in the open. Forcing us to move to a faraway table instead of asking the man to move to the designated smoking area. I tried to approach the captain and was told its illegal for any passenger to go up to the captains room and instead he left the wheel and came to tell me that ecigarette is legal anywhere on the ship. All through the trip he had some children and women in the wheel room and that somehow was legal and safe. The experirnce was totally fullof hypocrisy , insulting, unsafe and discrimanatory.

Visited December 2013
El Paso, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The wife and I did this for the first time. I had never done anything like this before. It was a great time we had! Worth the price. It seemed more for adults in the evening time. Dinner, live band and drinks and dancing! 3 hours long.We went 6-9pm. They even schuttled us from the hotel.

San Francisco, California
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wife and I did the afternoon Emerald Bay cruise on a recent weekend trip to Tahoe and we loved it. The boat itself was very nice. Not too crowded (it was off season,though). Just the right amount of narration and interesting info about the lake. The food was suprisingly good. Nothing to get too excited about, but our expectations were very low given other TA reviews and what we've had on other similar boat tours in other areas. Wife had nachos and I had a turkey club. Both were freshly made, large portions and fairly tasty. My only complaint about the food would be that it was a bit on the pricey side for what it was, but that's probably to be expected. Definitely get there the recommended 30-40 minutes early. It wasn't even that busy when we were there, but there was already a long line to board and there was fair amount of pushing and shoving to get good tables, window seats, etc. We stayed on the open air top deck most of the time and we had no trouble finding good seats.

All in all, the tour on the M.S. Dixie II was a highlight of our trip and we would definitely do it again.