“awesome food & fun times”
Review of The Martin Hotel

The Martin Hotel
Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in Winnemucca
Cuisines: American, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Lunch is American with Basque Side Dish Daily. Dinner is tradition Basque Family Style with a full selection of Steaks, Lamb, Seafood, Pasta, Pork, and of course Traditional Basque. Dinner includes side dishes, soup, salad, glass of house wine, entree, dessert, or mix and match to suit your appetite.
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I 'arrived' hungry & sullen (long day), & 'left' full & damn happy, wth many yummy leftovers for the next couple of days. I had fish, while friends had lamb chops (out of this world flavor), shanks, shrimp scampi & a steak martin (gotta love garlic), best house made mashed spuds I've ever had, delicious corn (last time we were served green beans, and although I've never liked green beans, these converted me, I could eat these every day!!!) and a beef side dish that was out of this world... And the tastiest house made soup ever (it changes daily). Especially enjoyed the basic salad toped with their house baked beans & dressing. Their fries are hand cut & we devoured them. The table wine is palatable & flavorsome, they do offer a full range of drinks from their bar. Top this off with an absolutely delectable bread pudding & the most fun I've had in a long time while dining out. Heads up, it's family style dining which means you will be seated with other folks, unless you go with a crowd and reserve your own table. Everything from wine, soup to dessert included in the price of the entree, we thought a very fair deal. There is another Basque Restaurant in town, it's ok, but this one has become a favorite for good times & from the raves around the dining room for excellent food. Great way to spend an evening. Have had their lunches for takeout, the best around by far.

1  Thank jennie f

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Went for dinner with 3 others i had the small rib eye which was a poor cut the veggies served was frozen corn, soup was ok but nothing special one person ordered the pork which he left as it was cold and tasteless. Overall none of us would ever go back the dinner for 4 was not cheap.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

In October I went to the Martin with three colleagues and had the worst meal in a week in Winnemucca. In a historic building, the Martin's bar is kind of funky but the dining room is charmless. We ordered steak, lamb and a Basque pork dish called Solomo. There is no choice of appetizers or accompaniments, but the meals came with soup, salad, potatoes, bread, beef tongue, corn, french fries and a passable red wine. The soup was a bean/ground meat concoction, somewhat lacking in flavor but pretty decent compared to what followed. The salad was uninteresting, dominated by iceberg lettuce, the corn was frozen corn, and the potato dish was overwhelmed by salt. After the side dishes came out we waitied an interminable amount of time for the main courses. None of the staff indicated that this was remarkable or deserving of comment or apology. My Solomo arrived almost cold, the pork was tough and chewy and the pimento/garlic sauce lacked any character or flavor. The lamb was OK, the steak was edible but nothing more. After this, we could not wait to get our bill and get out, so passed on the bread pudding dessert. All in all, a dismal experience; if you want Basque in Winnemucca, Ormachea's is a much better bet.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Since my husband and I raise our own lamb, we were looking forward to eating at a Basque restaurant when we went through Winnemucca. The gal at our motel is Basque and told us either Basque restaurant in town would be good, but she said The Martin Hotel is more relaxed and where they go as a family. So, off we went to experience one of the most unique dinners we have ever eaten. The Martin Hotel is an original in Winnemucca, located directly across the street from the railroad tracks. It is old with lots of character---a bar and a large room with 5 long tables each seating 10 people who eat together family style. Be prepared for LOTS of food! Our first course was probably the best cream of mushroom soup I have ever had; it came in a small tureen and gave us each second helpings. Next came the salad, again, in a large bowl from which we served ourselves, and it had the best garlic vinagrette dressing. Along with the salad came a dish of burger and beans (I think they were pinto, but not sure) that you put on top of the salad. At first I was a little unsure of that combo, but it was surprisingly good! My husband and I split a main course of braised lamb shanks. They were good....but, I have tasted better....However, the garlic mashed red potatoes and the carrots with lemon butter and fresh tarragon were wonderful! When we thought we could eat no more, we were served a delicious dessert of bread pudding. Oh, also with dinner comes bread and a carafe of red wine, which is not top quality, but do-able. Finally, we enjoyed our dinner with a business man who comes to The Martin every Wednesday night. All in all, I highly recommend the The Martin Hotel for the ambiance, experience and great food.

2  Thank Enumclaw1991
Reviewed November 4, 2011

This is one of those rare restaurants that is worthy of a special trip. Winnemucca is a "fun and funky" town where the main industries are gold mining, cattle ranching and potato farming. The people are hard working, honest, friendly and unpretentious. At a typical basque restaurant, seating is "family style" on long tables, so you will likely meet people you didn't meet before you came to the restaurant. I highly recommend the lamb dishes. Also you don't want to drive after you've had a few Basque "Picon Punches." This is a very unique and delicious cocktail that is very BASQUE.

2  Thank sketavong