“Surprisingly Nice”

Holiday Motel Winnemucca
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Winnemucca
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I stayed here as a stopover from Yosemite to Yellowstone, based on the positive reviews it got on TripAdvisor. I wasn't expecting much since we were in a town that is near nothing. The outside looks like a typical motel. The inside was surprisingly nice and charming like a mid-priced hotel, although small. Being it was a stopover, I did not do anything in Winnemucca but there are casinos nearby for those interested. I did not use the outdoor swimming pool but being its near the road lacks privacy. The lobby doubles as a small cafe with breakfast (did not eat there). I recommend this motel as a stopover but probably would not stay here if I was staying longer.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank JakeColonia
There are newer reviews for Holiday Motel Winnemucca

Reviewed June 30, 2011

Winnemucca is one of those towns you visit while traveling to someplace else. We stumbled upon this place by reading other Trip Advisor reviews. From the outside it looks like a motor lodge holdover from the 1950's, but inside our room was big, modern, clean and quiet. The clientele are mostly fellow travelers...family types. We received a call from someone at the motel to check on our progress on the road and was wished safe travels. She made it sound more like a service call from the Ritz Carlton than asking if we were still coming. By the time we arrived, the desk was closed. We rang the bell, and a lady in a bathrobe came to check us in. As odd as it sounds, it only added to the charm and experience. All we needed was a wood panel station wagon to make the scene complete.

There's a free continental breakfast, free wireless, well appointed rooms, and a rate, while not from the 1950's, was certainly a reasonable value for what you get. You can tell the owners take pride and care in maintaining this gem in the desert. We would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Trust me is a really nice place
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Coddy A
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We have now stayed here 4 times in the last year and we find a lot of other people do the same on cross country trips - they have a lot of repeat business.

Our stay this time was great - had a large room with a king sized bed - everything is clean and neat - the wood furniture is a bit worn but the bedding, linens, towels etc. are all very nice - in fact better than many moderately priced chains.

I believe it has been full each time we stayed here - so be sure to make a reservation ahead of time!

They do allow small pets in some of the rooms with no fee. Those rooms are also clean and odor free as we stayed in those twice.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bensus
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We came to Winnemucca just because we hadn't been - we had no plans and no reservations (Tuesday in January). We stopped at the Holiday Motel just to check it out. The owner was at the desk and is the TOTAL reason we decided to stay at this one. We have our dog with us and there is no charge for the pet as well as a great field out back to use with the pet. The only reason I didn't rate as excellent was it is a little older but still it was better than a lot of new places we've stayed. We are from a small town and expect friendliness. Our expectations were exceeded! There is some traffic noise but I don't know anywhere you would stay here that wouldn't have traffic noise.
We will definately use this place when we are in the area again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lcouch
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is really the perfect place to stay when making the drive from San Francisco to SLC. The service was great and the room was very clean. The free breakfast was a nice touch too. Great value - we'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank PShortyX
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Stayed here on the way to Colorado at the end of May - liked it enough to stay on the way back in June. Clean nicely decorated not too expensive hotel. They do take pets. Helene, the night desk manager, is super nice and friendly.

This is not a fancy hotel but it's good for a stop over and it's plain pleasant. Call direct to the hotel for reservations.

It is on the highway and it is a hotel where people stop over - it's not really a destination hotel. People leave early in the am so you can hear them going.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bensus
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Rooms are a little musty. The ever-present rumble and whine of diesel pickup trucks racing on the main drag outside your window is quite nice, especially at the wee hours of the morning when coupled with whatever hick-hip-hop is booming out of their windows. The beds feel like they were cut out of blocks of foam rubber. The sheets are too small and keep sliding off the beds while you are trying to sleep, causing you to wake up in a tangle of chaos and polyester. Oh, yes. Did I mention that the bedding is all plastic? The sheets are actually cotton, which was a surprise. Everything else is one hundred percent genuine plastic fiber (do not smoke in bed). The best part was the shower, which fluctuated from frigid to boiling every thirty seconds or so. My face is burned. Not fun. I have opted not to shave. The "continental" breakfast was hysterical, topping off an otherwise dismal experience with an oily generic Otis-Spunkmeyer-style (though generic) muffin wrapped in plastic. I'm looking at it right now next to my watery coffee. Is it worth eating? Probably not. Is life worth living anymore? I don't know. Had I payed twenty dollars for this room it would have been twenty dollars too much, but it was $99. Ick. I picked this one because it was the only one on the street that didn't have dead things floating in the pool. Maybe that's because no self-respecting terminally ill animal would die in a place like this. Maybe they know better. The "high-speed" Internet was a single DSL line with fifty users. You do the math. There was no place to park my moving truck, so its out on the street right now, probably being broken into by thieves. Winnemucca sucks, and this hotel is at the center of its suckiness vortex. Just keep going. I have no doubt that the reason this town can get away with such nastiness is that its the only place with water for a hundred miles or better. Don't stop. Better to die alongside the road somewhere and have vultures pick out your eyes than spend a night at the old "Holiday Motel." Gross, gross, gross. I won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family