“Always a Treat”
Review of Cafe Del Rio

Cafe Del Rio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2013

A friend says he's never had a bad meal at Del Rio, and after numerous visits, I would have to agree. They may be the only establishment in town of this caliber, but they try not to act like it. It's hard for me to go there and not order the Gospel Fried Chicken Salad (or the chicken dinner, when it's offered on Sundays,) but there are many other worthy choices on the menu. The Yucatan Enchilada is another favorite, stuffed with crab, shrimp, and artichoke hearts. Prime rib on Fridays and Saturdays is popular with red-meat eaters. And although I've never tried it, another friend avows that the 1/2 pound smoked cheddar cheese burger is one of the best burgers he's ever tasted.

They also do Sunday brunch, and the Eggs Benedict is as fine a rendition of that classic as I'VE ever sampled, accompanied by delicate hash browns, and, on my last visit, green beans nicely seasoned and carefully cooked to a perfect crunch. Watch out for the Bloody Marys, served in a pint glass, and extra spicy.

By Virginia City standards, this qualifies as a dress-up place: business casual, although it really doesn't matter. (The occasional guitar player in the corner wears jeans and a blazer.)

The Del Rio is very affordable for a meal so satisfying. Service is down-to-earth and "neighborly." Call ahead in winter; they close for a few weeks, when the sidewalk gets too icy.

1  Thank Randy B
There are newer reviews for Cafe Del Rio

Reviewed May 15, 2013

They get a bit harried, but the food is grand! Get a reservation and avoid their mixed drinks and you'll have a great time.

1  Thank kandnico
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We came for the weekend from SF and stayed in VC it was a beautiful day and we were hungry on the advice of a guy who looked like Santa with a donkey we went into Café Del Rio it was charming we had a long wait, it was packed once we were seated our tall blonde waitress left us we did see her laughing and sitting with other customers she brought them chips water we never got anything, she must have known we were from out of town! We did order food my husband and I wanted to share a salad and an entrée and then dessert but she looked at us like we were from another planet she said we would have to pay $2.00 for the extra plates the food might have been good if it was hot! It was cold and she never checked back to see if it was good? The salad was good we didn't mind paying for the extra plate but we really wanted dessert and coffee but we did not want to make her do something else for us? We upset her again by asking if they took American Express they do not! We could have drove back over the hill in the time it took for us to get a table and service not kidding! We asked her if where we could find some of Samuel Clemens work? Weird considering where we were? Virginia City is like stepping back in time and Café Del Rio was such a disappointment! Next time we will just keep giving the donkey the $2.00 he was cuter, funnier and faster!

3  Thank Jill J
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stopped here on a busy Sunday morning. We had to wait a bit to be greeted, but once they had a moment to greet us, we were immediately seated and the service was prompt and the food came quickly. I had a delicious chicken burrito, my husband had a breakfast plate. This was fresh, excellent Mexican food. I don't expect this quality of food in such a spot.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Friends I was visiting took me to Virginia City specifically to eat at this restaurant, and it did not disappoint. We received prompt service on a Saturday afternoon, and the food was plentiful. I ordered carnitas, which were very good, and my friends ordered fish and chicken tacos. Everyone left very full and very happy.