“I forgot to read my trip advisor!”
Review of Cafe Del Rio

Cafe Del Rio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We came for the weekend from SF and stayed in VC it was a beautiful day and we were hungry on the advice of a guy who looked like Santa with a donkey we went into Café Del Rio it was charming we had a long wait, it was packed once we were seated our tall blonde waitress left us we did see her laughing and sitting with other customers she brought them chips water we never got anything, she must have known we were from out of town! We did order food my husband and I wanted to share a salad and an entrée and then dessert but she looked at us like we were from another planet she said we would have to pay $2.00 for the extra plates the food might have been good if it was hot! It was cold and she never checked back to see if it was good? The salad was good we didn't mind paying for the extra plate but we really wanted dessert and coffee but we did not want to make her do something else for us? We upset her again by asking if they took American Express they do not! We could have drove back over the hill in the time it took for us to get a table and service not kidding! We asked her if where we could find some of Samuel Clemens work? Weird considering where we were? Virginia City is like stepping back in time and Café Del Rio was such a disappointment! Next time we will just keep giving the donkey the $2.00 he was cuter, funnier and faster!

3  Thank Jill J

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stopped here on a busy Sunday morning. We had to wait a bit to be greeted, but once they had a moment to greet us, we were immediately seated and the service was prompt and the food came quickly. I had a delicious chicken burrito, my husband had a breakfast plate. This was fresh, excellent Mexican food. I don't expect this quality of food in such a spot.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Friends I was visiting took me to Virginia City specifically to eat at this restaurant, and it did not disappoint. We received prompt service on a Saturday afternoon, and the food was plentiful. I ordered carnitas, which were very good, and my friends ordered fish and chicken tacos. Everyone left very full and very happy.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We saw this place In trip advisor and decided to try it. The service was just right. The chicken enchilada was very good, order one, the portion was perfect. The stack with an egg was sooo good! The red sauce with beef was something I'll remember for a while. Great spot!!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Came here on a busy weekend we were seated promptly and given menu's.

Shortly thereafter we received chips and salsa. The chips were fresh and the salsa was on the medium side-could have been hotter.

We waited some time for the main server to arrive to take our order. We have been here several times before and the service has been the same. Slow but eventually very good. Short staffed?

I had the shredded beef enchilada with black beans and rice. There were six of us and everyone liked their food. The food was hot and very flavorful.

The portions are large so I'm thinking unless you are a big eater order one of something not the double portion. You won't leave hungry.

Prices are good and the restaurant is clean and has a great view of the main street and they open the windows in the summer to let the street atmosphere in.

We eat here most every time we come here.

So, outside of the slow service this restaurant is wonderful.