Our family (which included 6 adults of all ages and one 2-year-old) rented 4 rooms here during a family reunion weekend in the Virginia City area. We thoroughly enjoyed our rooms, each one beautifully decorated with attention to detail. The beds were comfortable and everything was spotless. The breakfasts were different each day and so delicious. We are accustomed to 5 star travel and 5 star restaurants; for a B&B in a quaint town, this one totally lived up to everything we could have wanted.
Each morning we gathered outside in the courtyard of the eating area (the old Cider Mill) which had all sorts of old things to look at and explore there, as well as all around the outside of the house. Leisa served us breakfasts made by her son with the freshest of ingredients, using Leisa's secret recipes. Something as simple as a breakfast burrito was scrumptious with just the right balance of flavors. Who ever thought a breakfast burrito could be considered gourmet! And she was happy to accommodate one in our party who was on a restricted diet, such as toasting the special bread he brought with him. The rest of us, who normally eat "lean" and don't indulge in pancakes and waffles, just couldn't resist. We all marveled at how good they were, freshly made from scratch, topped with home made berry butters. The scrambled eggs that came with them were fluffy and the bacon perfectly cooked. Good coffee, a variety of teas (loose tea, not in bags!). If in the area again, we will definitely stay here. We also enjoyed hearing about the history of the Inn, seeing the pictures of tv and film stars from the golden era, personally autographed to Edith Palmer, from when they all stayed there. There's a picture of Marilyn Monroe, also autographed to Edith, in the room named after her: Marilyn's Room. Apparently she stayed there often, including when she was filming the movie The Misfits.
Leisa and her husband Pat were helpful, too, in directing us to where we wanted to go, should we walk or take our car, tips on the various tours in the area, and anything else we wanted to know. As far as location, the Inn is an easy 2 block walk into the heart of town. Close enough for convenience, far enough away for the Inn to be a quiet place to get away from it all.
The person who complained about the place and gave it just one star, I don't know what their problem was, unless the place has been totally redone since then (which I don't think it has). Leisa went out of her way to make sure we had our needs and more met. There was a phone there to call her on, and she answered every time I called her even from my cell phone.
The one and only minor snag that happened: my cousin booked Evelyn's Room and when she got there it turned out it was occupied already, had somehow been double booked through some other web site. Leisa, with many apologies, put her in a larger room and at no additional cost. I told Leisa I thought it would be great if people could go to her web site directly and book their rooms there - And guess what! Leisa told me she's currently working on that, so very soon one will be able to go to the Inn's web site and see availability and cost of each room, and be able to book it right there. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Edith Palmer's Country Inn is housed in Victorian buildings dating from 1863, located in Historic Virginia City and it is surrounded by gardens and spectacular canyon views. Enjoy the Virginia City of the 1860's and enhance your visit by staying in period accommodations at Virginia City's finest Country Inn. A full breakfast served from 8-10 in the morning to room guests in the historic 1863 Cider Factory or on the stone patio at its entrance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Orbitz so you can book your Edith Palmer's Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn Virginia City
- Virginia City Country Inn