“Our family loved this place!!”

Edith Palmer's Country Inn
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our family (which included 6 adults of all ages and one 2-year-old) rented 4 rooms here during a family reunion weekend in the Virginia City area. We thoroughly enjoyed our rooms, each one beautifully decorated with attention to detail. The beds were comfortable and everything was spotless. The breakfasts were different each day and so delicious. We are accustomed to 5 star travel and 5 star restaurants; for a B&B in a quaint town, this one totally lived up to everything we could have wanted.

Each morning we gathered outside in the courtyard of the eating area (the old Cider Mill) which had all sorts of old things to look at and explore there, as well as all around the outside of the house. Leisa served us breakfasts made by her son with the freshest of ingredients, using Leisa's secret recipes. Something as simple as a breakfast burrito was scrumptious with just the right balance of flavors. Who ever thought a breakfast burrito could be considered gourmet! And she was happy to accommodate one in our party who was on a restricted diet, such as toasting the special bread he brought with him. The rest of us, who normally eat "lean" and don't indulge in pancakes and waffles, just couldn't resist. We all marveled at how good they were, freshly made from scratch, topped with home made berry butters. The scrambled eggs that came with them were fluffy and the bacon perfectly cooked. Good coffee, a variety of teas (loose tea, not in bags!). If in the area again, we will definitely stay here. We also enjoyed hearing about the history of the Inn, seeing the pictures of tv and film stars from the golden era, personally autographed to Edith Palmer, from when they all stayed there. There's a picture of Marilyn Monroe, also autographed to Edith, in the room named after her: Marilyn's Room. Apparently she stayed there often, including when she was filming the movie The Misfits.

Leisa and her husband Pat were helpful, too, in directing us to where we wanted to go, should we walk or take our car, tips on the various tours in the area, and anything else we wanted to know. As far as location, the Inn is an easy 2 block walk into the heart of town. Close enough for convenience, far enough away for the Inn to be a quiet place to get away from it all.

The person who complained about the place and gave it just one star, I don't know what their problem was, unless the place has been totally redone since then (which I don't think it has). Leisa went out of her way to make sure we had our needs and more met. There was a phone there to call her on, and she answered every time I called her even from my cell phone.

The one and only minor snag that happened: my cousin booked Evelyn's Room and when she got there it turned out it was occupied already, had somehow been double booked through some other web site. Leisa, with many apologies, put her in a larger room and at no additional cost. I told Leisa I thought it would be great if people could go to her web site directly and book their rooms there - And guess what! Leisa told me she's currently working on that, so very soon one will be able to go to the Inn's web site and see availability and cost of each room, and be able to book it right there. :)

Room Tip: I like to have an open window, which we did in Marilyn's room. Two in fact, with a nice cross b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank M T

Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Edith Palmer's Country Inn and we fell in love with the Inn. We chose to stay in Edith's room. The room was beautifully decorated and exceptionally clean.

We arrived and met Leisa the owner and she was so gracious and gave us such a wonderful and informative tour of our room and the property. Each morning we were served a delicious breakfast prepared by Leisa's son that kept my husband and I full and satisfied until the afternoon.

We cannot wait to return to the area and we highly recommend this Inn for a comfortable and clean stay. The Inn is located within walking distance of downtown.

The bed was extremely comfortable (so comfortable in fact) that my husband and I are going to purchase a mattress just like it!

Happy travelers from California.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelintune
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband had never been to Virginia City so I suggested that we go..on very short notice, I saw this inn on a website and I thought it looked charming. We arrived late (NO reservations) and called Leisa who was there to meet us and give us our room key. I was charmed at just looking at the office, I couldn't wait to see what our room looked like ! We ended up staying in "Evelyns" room which is right off of the path in the back of the main house. It was so adorable and cozy. The bed was covered in Chenille and the walls were wallpapered. I must say also that the bed was crazy comfortable. She even has a little led candle in there for ambience. There was so much to do, we didn't even get to turn on the tv! In the morning, Leisa was there getting breakfast ready early in the morning. I could smell the breakfast cooking and the coffee from the room! My mouth was watering..and for good reason. She made the best "Leisa version" of eggs benedict with avocados and bacon. YUM-O. She is also a very wonderful conversationalist with a vast knowledge of the city and of her property. She showed us the Cider room and explained the history of it. How wonderful to preserve such a great part of our heritage! Leisa was a wonderful host. Never for a moment did she make me feel that I couldn't ask for anything. I will definitely go back there again. I can't think of a better place to call home, when I am away from home. Thank you Pat & Leisa!

Room Tip: Evelyns room is cozy. It is located in the back of the house close to the Cider room but it was wond...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Edith Palmer Country Inn is one of the best places to stay in Virginia City! It's within walking distance to all of the must-see attractions, yet far enough away to ensure a peaceful night's rest. We stayed in the Jim Fair Room and were happy with the accomodations. The bed was comfortable, although my pillow was a bit flat, so I wished I had brought one from home. In the morning, they served the BEST waffles we've ever had! The owner was very nice and made us feel welcome (even though we showed up hours before check in). We highly recommend this property and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HouseFamilyTravel
Reviewed October 6, 2011

If I get back to Virginia City, I will definitely stay here again. My room was cheerful and cozy. The ceiling was painted sky blue with white clouds, which I thought was a nice touch. I loved the antique furniture and the bed was very comfortable. The weather was beautiful so breakfast was served on the patio. Leisa was very helpful suggesting restaurants in town and giving me information on nearby places to visit outside of Virginia City. I have nothing but praise for Edith Palmer's and I have recommended it to everyone when telling them about my vacation. I spent three weeks in California and Nevada and it was the best place that I stayed at.

Room Tip: Evelyn's room has it's own entrance off of the patio. I felt like I was in my own little co...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Edith Palmer Country Inn was incredible! This was the best B&B I have ever stayed in, and it was a great first time for my husband as well. The owner was so lovely, kind, and explained everything we needed to know about the property. The B&B was one block from the main drag of Virginia City which makes is super easy to get to the events in the city, bars and restaurants.

We stayed in the Jim Fair room which was a great room boasting two windows the cute garden outside. The room was wonderful, the bed was super comfy, it had an ac unit, great towels, soaps, and a little tv to relax to before retiring for the night. We were so pleasantly surprised I wish our stay was longer than a night.

Next morning we went for breakfast on site. She spoiled us with the most flavorful pancakes with a walnut raspberry butter, raspberry syrup and fresh raspberries on top, perfectly cooked scrambled eggs, and super tasty sausage. Topped with a bright sunny day and fresh OJ in the garden, we couldn't have ended our stay better.

We will be back, and we thank Edith Palmer Country Inn for giving us a wonderful night away.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2011

A wonderful, and authentic, place to stay in Virginia city! Utterly charming and full of history. Delicious breakfast in the old cider house. Loved it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends