“Will stay again and again”
Review of Silver Queen Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Virginia City
Silver Queen Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Virginia City
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My boyfriend and I visited in August, he proposed in the chapel, we booked right away for Sept 15, returned with family for the wedding. From the staff that issued our marriage license to the judge who performed the ceremony to Dar, our bartender/wedding planner, everyone was wonderful!!! We had a blast!!!! We are returning this year for our anniversary, it's our second home and full of great memories.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank cinderella_93638

Reviewed June 17, 2008

My best friend and I stayed here and we loved it! We were able to check in right at noon. We stayed in Room 25. The room was clean and comfortable. The stairs are steep and narrow, yet add a lot of charm to the place. The only downfall was that we hardly slept a wink due to the spooky activity in the evening. We returned to the hotel from the Washoe Club around 11:30. As we were walking up the stairs, my friend let out a shriek and ran past me saying she had just heard someone whisper in her ear. We roamed the halls taking pictures for the next hour or two. I will post pics if anything is found on them. I was using a digital camera and my friend was using a 35mm. Her camera mysteriously quit working while we were shooting the hallways. My camera continued to work, however, both of our cell phones had no reception and were losing their charges extremely fast. Finally went to bed. Early in morning I heard our doorknob turn. Not the knob to the main hallway but the knob from our main room to our bedroom. I reached in my pocket for my cell phone to look at the time and discovered that the battery was totally dead. The oddest thing was that even though my cell phone battery was completely dead, the alarm went off on the cell phone around 6:30 that morning. When I opened the phone to shut the alarm off, the screen was off because the battery was dead. Many other things happened that were odd but these were the most interesting. Would definitely stay there again, but not by myself!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
6  Thank terradye
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Was celebrating my 40th B-Day and had a little to much enjoyment and needed a place to stay. My wife and I decided this about mid-night and had no problem getting a hold of Doreen (sp) and she promptly drove from her house (about 5 minutes away) and got us a room. No Ghosts to speak of but my wife had an eerie feeling as we went up to our room. Doreen was great and gave me a drink and a beer on the house in celebration of my B-Day. Great history behind the area but not a whole going on after hours. Several bars to go to. Try the Sgt Major's Silver Dollar Saloon just across the street. Vic and Lori fight over who can make the best Bloody Mary. :)
Would and will stay there again.
Thanks Doreen!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Longhorn1968
Reviewed June 1, 2008

I love Virginia City and this was only my second visit. Went with a friend we decided to stay. A local recommended the Silver Queen. Paid $80 for street-view room with a shower. Primitive, yes, cool....absolutely. When we first went in, I took some photos of my friend on the stairs. Caught three small orbs and one large one. Very interesting. My friend is particularly sensitive to paranormal things and I'm pretty dead to it although I'm open minded. We were next to the "most haunted" room and she felt a lot of activity. She also kept remarking how the place reeked of cigar smoke and I didn't smell anything like that even though I'm very sensitive to cigar/cigarette smoke. Also caught some very bright orbs at the Piper Opera House. The interior of the Queen is quite a surprise when you see it's exterior. We loved the elegant look and the rounded corners. The floor cut-outs were fascinating allowing light to enter the second floor. Very period, very cool. Nobody was rude to us, very friendly locals except for one guy dressed in period clothes that we called [--] the rest of the time there. He tried to convince us that he ALWAYS dresses that way....sure-you-betcha!
We loved it and will go back. We liked the simplicity of the room. And if you want a shower, pick room 18.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VetteCruiser
Reviewed April 11, 2008

We stayed at the Silver Queen last Friday night. They were booked for Saturday night, so we had to stay elsewhere. Let me say this: If you are "uptight" and absolutely cannot survive without the modern amenities which we are all accustomed to, then this is not the place for you. This hotel is 132 years old. We stayed in rooms 11 and 13. We just HAD to bathe in the claw foot bathtub in room 11. Aah, they just don't make tubs like they used to. The rooms are small, but quaint, and CLEAN !! Which is more than I can say for the newer motel we were stuck with Sat. night. As for the staff, we loved Darlene and Karen! Between and after all our shopping, we always ended up back at the Queen for a drink and visit with them. The ladies were very fun, very accommodating, and full of hospitality, which is why we kept going back, even though we were staying somewhere else. Unfortunately, there was a down side to our stay. We really wanted to experience something paranormal, but it just didn't happen for us. Give it a try.......

• Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank LilBit69
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I never stayed at the Hotel, but was just there this past weekend, and was insulted by the lady behind the bar. The owner of the place was nice and very respectfull to his customers. My dad took me there when i was a kid which was about 22 years ago. I really enjoyed looking around in the hotel. it was definitely creepy.. The hotel is being sold for 2.2 million dollars hopefully they fire the old bartender lady, and get some friendly faces in there. It's still a great place to visit.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank marietravel
Reviewed October 11, 2007

There are only a few places to stay in VC. My husband and I decided to give the Silver Queen a try considering it's fantastic proximity to the saloons in town. Unfortunately, the building is so old that ANY conversations on the street can be heard in your room, plain as day. (We had room 19 on the top floor overlooking C street.) Also, about 5am on Saturday morning, some drunked up people wondered in and were banging on the doors yelling "is anybody in here" laughing and stumbling around. It was rather comical, but it didn't help our sleep any. The mattress was not the most comfortable I've slept on, but tolerable. All in all, it was a great experience (I love history) but we probably won't be staying there anytime in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Atlantis Casino Resort Spa
Gold Hill Hotel
Gold Hill Hotel
#2 of 5 in Virginia City

Been to Silver Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!