Silver Queen Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Virginia City
See available hotels
View Hotel
Virginia City Inn(Virginia City)
View Hotel
Gold Hill Hotel(Virginia City)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe ownerold westin towndoor knobrooms are smallsteep staircasestreet parkingred dog saloontook pictureshaunted hotelmy fianceopera housebar downstairsan adventureelvis impersonatorfire escapehear everything
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Traveled in July with family to Virginia City - loved the old town and wanted to experience the Old West so we booked a stay with the Silver Queen. The hotel is obviously dated but not in a good way. The rooms were large enough but the linens need updating as well as the carpet and curtains. If you have any trouble climbing stairs, this is not the place for you...the stairs are very steep and hard to climb, especially carrying luggage... even if you're in shape. Keep in mind there is no air conditioning - we opened the windows and got a small breeze but not enough for a comfy nights sleep. We did not experience anything ghostly as other reviewers have stated. If you want to stay in an Old West hotel with no amenities...this is the place for you...if you want modern day luxuries, stay some place else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mrw42164
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at the Silver Queen for the fourth of July weekend (3 night). The room was very cozy a little on the hot side the first night, but we opened the window and had a nice breeze to cool it off the next two nights. We experience no ghostly activity in the Hotel. We did catch a ghost tour that left from the saloon and ended at the Washoe Club. (Amazing experience there) It was The best trip my husband and I have had in 19 years together. We felt like we were going back in time. This is a must do! But if you have a bad heart be careful it is 56 steps to the third floor and the air is thin at 6200 foot elevation (we came from 1500) and had to catch our breath at the top of the stairs. Had a great time and the staff was extremely friendly. After tourist hour the city was very quiet and relaxing. I would strongly recommend Stay at least one night for the full experience, the nights and early morning are very peaceful.

Room Tip: No air conditioner so bring a fan. Great fire works show.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheila M
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Unsure of what to expect, and trying to avoid getting our expectations up, we recently had the absolute pleasure of staying at the Silver Queen Hotel for two weekend nights. We came in at about 9 pm, a quick jaunt over from Reno but still world's away across the Geiger Grade, a windy but panoramic road with outstanding vistas at sunset. Virginia City is pretty quiet at night when too many tourists pack on out -- I can't imagine it since it's well worth staying -- but the bartender knew we were coming and waited for us. When I walked up the creaky, steep staircase and found our room (#6), I felt I'd stepped back in time completely. Rarely have I had this feeling so strongly, this sense of stepping into history itself. The room was a haven, very relaxing, cozy and with white lace drapes, a high ceiling, all antique furniture, and an extremely comfortable, plush bed. The shower was a little small, but just fine. Bring your shampoo and all of that because they don't have any and, from what I could find, there's no convenience store in town. It also had no clock, no television, and no telephone, and my heart soared to see this because suddenly I realized I was in for two days of absolute relaxation (which proved true -- and despite rumors of noise, I found it quiet after about ten, and the walls are on the thin side, but this never bothered me at night, and it's nothing that another drink won't cure besides).

We walked around this grand old beauty for a while, such a diva of a hotel, sometime close to midnight, but no ghost sightings for us... just the continued sensation of being in a lovely structure that hadn't changed much since the Victorian era. So ghosts or no ghosts, it's a gorgeous hotel and just very different than what one tends to expect. It's an experience, and one not to be missed.

The next day, we spent more time in the saloon itself which is adjacent to the hotel. The bartender (I'm so sorry, I don't know her name, but she wears a black cowboy hat) is a doll. A great, friendly conversationalist and fantastic mint juleps and bloody mary's in a setting to make your jaw drop: the salon looks like you're in the Old West with a dash more glitz to it. It's very, very pretty, I thought. Also, every last bar claims to have the "best bloody mary's" on the hill... well, we sampled about five of them, and I affirm that I've never had a better one than in the Silver Queen, not only in Virginia City but really anywhere. The owner was also there, and she was quite pleasant. So great staff. The housecleaner was also about and always very friendly. We were pleased to be treated like we were friends staying in someone's home that way.

I also loved the centrality of this location since it's smack dab in the middle of town, which makes a difference on your legs since you're guaranteed to want to walk and walk in Virginia City given that there's a ton to see. I thought the bar was the best in town, although I'd also recommend the Delta (for the casino) and the Mark Twain (at night -- it stays open late). In the end, the Silver Queen exceeded any expectations I could have had about it. I cannot wait to go back again for another visit: it's definitely on my "repeat" list and gets my highest accolades, as does the town of Virginia City as a whole. There's just nothing else like it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Aqusite
Reviewed April 5, 2013

as founder and lead investigator of laughlin bullhead city area paranormal society .if i hear a place is haunted i gather up my equipment and wife and check it out.we have stayed here 2 x and both times have gotten some evidence.the best being the first time in room 4 getting some great evidence. a female evp 4 x on our digital recorder and 6 pictures of a power orb not a regular orb but a bright pulsating ball of light and 1 picture of a white mist in the shape of a arm by the bathroom door.the room is small as is the bathroom .but people come here for the old west charm and they deliver that. for the price(around $55 depends on the room) the rooms are nice and worth every penny.the second time we stayed in the so called haunted room (room 11 ) we found to have less activity then room 4.

Room Tip: 4 is great if looking for ghost activity we found it much better then room 11 the one believed to have the most activity.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rusty S
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I decided to spend our anniversary at the Silver Queen. When we got there (in the off-season) the hotel was about to close for the night.
As it turned out, we were the only occupants that night. All the staff went home in the early evening. We were given the 'haunted' room, but something was wrong with the lights so we had to stay in the room next to it. We went next door and played machines until midnight, then went back to our room. We sat there, too tired to sleep making small jokes about how many ghosts we would see. Finally, I was just about to go to sleep when I heard a banjo coming from the next room. We thought it was kind of funny....figures we would hear a banjo-playing ghost. I got up, peaked through the key hole, but the room next door was empty. Then the sound just seemed to fade away.
We both went to sleep but but it wasn't long before my husband was waking me up. He said "listen!". There was a couple arguing outside our door. A man and a woman. It was loud. When my husband got up to see what was going on I told him not to open the door-if people were having that heated of an argument, we didn't want to be in on it. He opened the door carefully, then just swung the door open. There was nobody there.....but we could still hear them arguing right in front of the door.......weird.
Believe it or not, we finally went back to sleep only to be wakened by someone pounding on our door. My husband was angry at this point and went to the door. Again, no one was there.

In the morning, I took pictures of the hotel inside and out. When we checked out, the man at the front desk asked us how we liked our stay. My husband told him of our experiences. The man was not surprised...he did ask my husband what tune the banjo was playing....my husband told him it wasn't a 'song', it was as though someone was trying to tune it. That's when the man said "You heard it alright.

The rooms are as they were 'back in the day' and the bed was comfortable......
enjoy! If you dare.........

Room Tip: If you dare, ask for the 'haunted' room.......in fact, more than one is haunted.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple