“Great Hotel Horrble Female Bartender "B"”
Review of Gold Hill Hotel

Gold Hill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Virginia City
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Hotel was GREAT! Food was pretty good. The female bar tender "B" watch out for!! Horrible ugly person on the inside!! She was the ONLY down fall of the whole place the male bar tender was excellent "J" really enjoyed his attitude and energy! From what I understand this female bar tender "B"vin has a horrible reputation and scares off A LOT of business, Not sure why someone would want that kind of energy around.Unfortunately she is very mouthy and feisty and comes in on her days off to drink A LOT ( From what we observed) so watch out!!! Funny how one negative, ugly attitude can ruin a atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank happyme99

Reviewed January 1, 2010

One of the best Hotel I have ever been to. The food was superlative. The service was amazing. The room had the most comfortable bed and an incredible view and a wood burning fireplace. Close to Virginia City (just up the hill) where you can play. Haunted...most assuredly....too many unexplainable noises and activity. There is a quirky little bar that is downstairs where you can sit and enjoy a drink with Carol and Bill (who own the place) and be treated as though you are an old friend. If you get a chance to come to this Hotel, do not let it pass you by!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tGypsyMomma
Reviewed December 22, 2009

It’s a very old hotel, l but all in all its kept up ok, but it’s the lack of service that is the really big problem.
The older rooms up front are fine but no TV and baths are very small. As far as the management goes there is very little help if things are not going right so you’re on your own after dark. The restaurant is ok, but a over priced for the level of food quality you receive. The bar is mostly for locals and they can be rowdy, also the bartender at night has a problem with being friendly to tourists and keeping locals in line. My family
was very uncomfortable and felt unsafe so we packed our bags and went to another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank snappyjo
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We stayed at the Gold Hill Hotel October 23 & 24 2009. The women at the front dest for check in were wonderful. We stayed in room #12 which was wonderful, king bed very comforfable a great balcony with great views of sunrise, it ajoined with room #11 which some friends of ours were in and this made a relly big place were everyone seemed to come and hang out. Our room had a coffe maker & refrigerator. The hotel shuttle is a 6 person golf cart that when going up hill you must get out and walk so it dose not stop, this was ok for our group but might not be fine for elderly people, the drivers were very nice as well. We were there for a friends birthday party with about 100 people. A vedio had been made for this event and we had previously checked ahead of time for a tv & dvd player. When it came time to show this movie the thing did not work, Brian said he made it work in the Bar so ok but again when it came time to play the thing Brian was no where to be found. Carole was nice but of no help the movie played less the music .... VERY DISAPPOINTING !!!!!!!!! The bartendar was just basically a jerk for most of the night, committs were made by all on how rude he was. I found this strange in this economy in a town that is closed by 7pm that anyone would not be happy for the business & the tips. Suggestions for night life the Ponderose bartendar lady was GREAT and the band was so much fun we hired them for the party. over all good times.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank lwin97
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I previously reviewed my stay in March and had stated that the draw back was the lack of shuttle service to downtown. Turns out they have one that runs whenever you need it. So, my apologies.
Now to review this stay: I stayed in room 5 in the old hotel. This is one of the haunted rooms, but I did not consciously encounter the ghost. I feel that I may have had a friendly late night visit, but I can not say for sure.
Room 5 has a large balcony facing East and enough space for one person or two if you didn't pack the entire house. There is a large closet for your stuff. it only has a stall shower and room 4 has a claw foot tub, so if you are a tub person...
The decor is fantastic period decor. The cleaning service is super and as usual the entire staff is friendly and welcoming.
I also had the pleasure of checking out one of the newer rooms. 7 I think it was. My folks stayed and I didn't hear them complain, except that it was too hot outside.
The room was truly beautiful, spacious(you could do yoga here!), large comfortable bed, fireplace and large bathroom. Also, a balcony facing South.
I had the pleasure of attending a lecture by a woman that had just written a book on the history of the Pipers Opera house. It was a fabulous deal for that night's stay, you got a room discount, dinner and the lecture for next to nothing.
I will put the dinner review under Crown Point Restaurant.
This is one of my favorite place to visit as I love the desert. Thank you all for make this another unforgettable experience!
~Lara~

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank OregonDesertDiva
Reviewed July 10, 2009

On my vacation this summer with my family, we stayed in both the Miners Cabin and in Williams room. The cabin was completey enjoyable. There was so much space and everything was clean and ready. Williams room was obviously just for sleeping but had a lovely patio that oversaw a beautiful view.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank kelseykandy21
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Our room (#18 &19= The Miners Cabin) did not disappoint when it came to accommodations. Two full queen beds, two full bathrooms ( with great TP by the way) all the little niceties you find at other hotels like hair dryers,shampoo/conditioner and soap all provided at the ready. Every thing was VERY clean. The kitchenette provided more than everything we needed right down to the dish soap and pots n pans of all sizes.Full size fridge, microwave coffee maker even a toaster. There is also a separate eating area with a dining table and four chairs.
My only complaints? is the bath towels were a little rough. But there sure were plenty. And the windows didn't open, but there are security screen doors on each side and the AC cooled it off just fine. ( I am just into opening windows)
Being that the structure is very, very old, at least 100 years + the leveling of the floors and the steps up and down are a little mind altering but other than that nothing is wrong at all with the room. (A wheelchair is not really going to work in the rooms we stayed in)
Very private. Very quiet. The Gold Hill even brought our food to our room for us when we ordered it and I have to tell you, it was pretty darn good.

I have yet to enjoy the other rooms and bungalows they offer, there are quite a few options, but we are definitely going back to this little gem. You can see the short line Virginia Truckee tour train come by ( wont wake you early) enjoy stunning sunsets and sunrises and fantastic views of the surrounding mountains.
I have nothing to complain about when it comes to Gold Hills hospitality, location and quality.
We came to Virginia City/Gold Hill to investigate tales of paranormal activity. We did not get into investigating the room we stayed in although many friends of ours have indeed experienced things in this room. So that's the really good news... it is haunted .. but the ghosts let you sleep ;)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business