“There's GOLD in this hotel!”
Review of Gold Hill Hotel

Gold Hill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Virginia City
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Having not been to Virginia City since I was a kid, the husband and I decided to make the trek while up in Sacramento. Before hitting Virginia City, we spent some time in the oldest Nevada saloon in Genoa and then headed up towards Virginia City.

The Gold Hill is about 5 minutes outside of Virginia City proper which is actually really lovely because it's quieter and less touristy. We had booked one of the lodges across the street from the main hotel, but it was nearly 100 degrees when we arrived and the sad little air conditioner in the kitchen window just couldn't cope. There was no air at all reaching the back bedroom & I was sweating just reading a book in there. I called down to the desk & told them of my dilemma. Luckily, the clerk on duty (a wonderful woman whose name I can't recall, but who I am completely indebted to), offered us a room in the main hotel -- an even nicer room with a King sized bed and a balcony (and an air conditioner that kept the room quite cool). It had a lovely antique bed and beautiful stone fireplace (which we, of course, didn't use in that heat) and a nice patio overlooking the parking lot with a view of the mine. I believe it was Room #6.

We had a few drinks in the bar (which is very cool & made of stone) and thought the bartendress was just fantastic. We headed up into Virginia City proper for a while, but after dealing with a ghost hunting tour in one of the local establishments decided to come back to the Gold Hill for dinner. We were some of the only people in the dining room, unfortunately, but it was a little like having a completely private dinner prepared by a great chef. The classically trained French chef made food that danced on the palate, accompanied by a pretty great wine list to boot. I cannot say enough for the cuisine at the Gold Hill & the chef is to be commended for his talent.

Back up in our room, we slept like babies. In the morning, we went down to the great room (part of the original hotel) and had the continental breakfast which was quite serviceable, but nothing to write home about. A full breakfast was available in the dining room had we been interested.

This hotel is historic, quaint, romantic and populated by some of the kindest folks in the hotel business. The rates are extremely reasonable for what you get & I enjoyed every bit of our stay there.

Room Tip: If it's a hot day, you may prefer to stay in one of the deluxe rooms in the main hotel since the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank spycygrl

Reviewed September 3, 2013

stayed here last night, came here because i was looking for the old and quaint, personal experience as opposed to staying in a days inn, and they absolutely surpassed my expectations. the staff is not only friendly and prompt, they are also very knowledgeable about the area and services available like the in-fact-existant shuttle sevice to vc, which is under a mile away and comfortably reachable even on foot.
didn't stay in a haunted room as this was not anything i am interested in, but i heard some good accounts by visitors and staff.
also, they advertise a "continental breakfast" that in my mind deserves better classification. How many places serve 2 varieties of quiche at a continental bf?!
highly recommended for the real traveller!!!

Room Tip: 11 has two doubles in case you are travelling with someone other than your spouse, 8 among a few oth...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Martina S
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had stayed there previously in room #7and this time in room #6 which is a mirror image. We love the decor and comfort and the friendliness of staff. We were very impressed with the dining room choices , Bartender and atmosphere .You can just feel the history of the place. We can't wait to travel back to Historic Virginia City and stay here again

Room Tip: choose one of the larger rooms-lots of antique furniture and more roomy
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Headed to Virginia City for a weekend ghost hunt, and decided to stay in one of the haunted rooms at the Gold Hill Hotel. The staff was friendly and courteous. I didnt get to spend all that much time there, because I was exploring so much everywhere else. I’m diffidently heading back, because I had a blast hanging out in the area, that’s full of history. The hotel is one of the oldest in Nevada. And did I mention, the staff was very friendly. To be continued!

Room Tip: Room 4 & 5. Haunted
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ORBS_inv
Reviewed August 15, 2013

After reading the different reviews on this Hotel, I wasn't sure what to expect. As soon a we arrived, my husband and I both fell in love with the Gold Hill Hotel!! We stayed in room #3 which is I believe the smallest room they have, but it was perfect for what you stay in a hotel for anyway....having a place to sleep, and being able to take a shower. Beautiful views all the way around this place. You feel like you've stepped back into history. They have outside tables all around the property, so you have a choice of where you'd like to sit if your the outdoor type of person! We drove into Reno to spend the day, and also went to Virginia city which is right down the road from the hotel. Not being able to find anything opened at 8:30 for dinner, we decided to head back to the hotel, and have some dinner. It was 8:45 when we arrived to be seated, and even though they close at 9:00 we were seated, and were able to enjoy our meal at a leisurely pace. The food, and service were both superb!! Our waiter ~Victor~ treated us like family, and made sure we thoroughly enjoyed our meal!! Thanks so much for making us feel so special Victor! The food was excellent, and perfectly prepared! I had the best Portabella mushroom soup I have ever tasted, and my husband said that his ribeye steak was the best he's ever had! They serve you really good french bread, with some of the best butter I've ever tasted. For the quality of the food, and service we both felt it was worth every penny!! The manager (I believe her name was Mandy) was also very friendly, and helpful. She does a great job running the place. The breakfast in the morning that comes with renting a room was also excellent with plenty of choices. They had informed us that the breakfast was recently revamped, and they did a wonderful job picking a nice variety of foods to please anyone. I'm so happy I found this Nevada Gem!!!! Can't wait to go back again, Looking forward to renting one of the rooms with a fireplace in the colder weather!!! From now on when we go to Reno.....this is the place we will always stay!! Fell in love with everything!!! Thanks everyone there for making our stay very memorable!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked nice. Ours was a small one, but very nice, clean, and comfy, and you couldn'...
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed there on a Saturday night in celebration of my 50th birthday. This is a historic hotel, the oldest in Nevada. I love historic hotels and this hotel was very cool, as I expected it would be. Stayed in room 12 which was large,clean, and very nice, although a bit historic around the edges:) the service was excellent and friendly. We had dinner reservations Saturday night and the food was very good as was the service. Now for a few minor complaints: I had looked at the menu online and was looking forward to the rack of lamb or lamb chops for my birthday dinner, but was informed by the waitress that neither were available. I was dissappointed because this was one of the reasons I had chosen this particular restaurant. However the food was very good. Also they need to use fabric softner for the towels because they were not soft. Lastly, the hotel is reported to be haunted and that is cool for those of us who are into that stuff but Saturday night I had the worst nightmares of my life. I have seen ghost hunter type programs where people report nightmares as a symptom of a haunting. I have stayed in historic and haunted hotels before and never had nightmares. Overall I recommend the Gold Hill Hotel for at least one visit. It is a cool historic hotel a mile outside Virginia City with a nice restaurant and friendly staff. Next visit we will probably stay somewhere else so I can sleep better.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Whitely63
Reviewed August 5, 2013

First, this place is not in Virginia City, but over a mile out of town in Gold Hill, so if you are looking to be right in town this is not the place as there is no taxi service. Secondly, the place is run down. Our room was large and had a nice fireplace, but it was old and icky, including stains on the carpet and the ceiling. The style is Victorian, but the bathroom was re-done in the 1980s like a motel 6 style with raggedy towels. My husband was disappointed to miss out on the ghosts, but we ended up just not even staying and getting a place in Virginia City.

1  Thank PennyLane1666
Atlantis Casino Resort Spa
Cedar Glen Lodge
Cedar Glen Lodge
#1 of 8 in Tahoe Vista

Been to Gold Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!