Gold Hill Hotel
Sugarloaf Mountain Motel & Market(Virginia City)(Great Value!)
$135
Virginia City Inn(Virginia City)
$103
$165
$159
$64
$59
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsoldest hotelminer's cabincharging stationfull barbalcony with table and chairsparanormal investigatorsprivate bathroomtwo double bedsstrong smellnew ownersexcellent choicein room coffeecool barghostly activitychecking outroad tripantique furnishings
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We love this hotel and have been visiting for many years. However I can't remember the last time they changed the menu and because the menu items are so overpriced for what you get that we usually check in at the hotel and head up to Virginia city to have dinner. They call it " fine dining" but it really isn't. We can get the same food at a casino when we visit Las Vegas but for half the price. Also we love the bar and all of the staff go above and beyond good service but there is always a customer in there that sits by the fire place and I don't know who she is but she is down right rude and obnoxious to not only the staff but to other customers. We no longer will go in the bar if she is there. We love coming to this hotel but they really do need to make some changes so we can keep enjoying coming back every year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandy M, Front Office Manager at Gold Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Dan-

Thank you for your honest feedback- it is helpful for us to know how our services are received, especially as we actively strive to improve our guest experience.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your specific concerns and see how we might be able to meet your expectations. Would you be so kind as to send me an email when you have a moment? My email is mandy@goldhillhotel.net, or you can reach me on the main hotel phone at 775-847-0111.

I would also invite you to take another look at our restaurant's menu- we made some substantial changes over the last year, including the following:

- Adding several reasonably priced pizza and pasta options to those we already offered
- Removing several dishes that weren't as popular
- rotating specials seasonally, specifically to take advantage of Chef's game experience (which means offerings such as antelope, wild boar, etc)

We also recently met with the chef to discuss the menu- expect further changes in the near future. I understand that he is looking to add foie gras and is running a wagyu beef special as well.

If our fine dining experience doesn't appeal to you, we welcome patrons to enjoy selections from our casual/lunch menu in the Saloon, on the patio (which is a great place to hang out when the weather is nice), or in the Great Room (which due to a recent facelift is an attractive and inviting space). I think that you'll find the selection broad and the prices reasonable- maybe not as cheap as loss-leader casino prices, but a good value. I will also point out that many of the dishes are prepared with our chef's own twist, making them unique.

I'm hoping that your impression that the menu hasn't changed is due mostly to the timelessness and longevity of our historic property, and not our actual menu offering.

Please do reach out to me at your convenience to discuss specifics and how we can improve your experience.

Mandy, Hotel Manager
Gold Hill Hotel

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Thirty-five years ago the Gold Hill was truly funky: no food service, owners on-site working as multi-tasking staff, and exceedingly intimate. Today there is a large addition of new rooms, an excellent restaurant, and corporate ownership. We stayed in Room #1, at the top of the stairs in the original section of the hotel. The room is tiny, the floor in the bathroom slopes, the ceiling fan whirled all night to fight the summer heat--but these are all part of the charm of the Gold Hill Hotel. Try to stop by soon, as I heard that the owners have big plans to update (and as far as I'm concerned) RUIN the experience by adding shops a la Virginia City. You can't make old. But you can Disney-fy it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carole Q
Mandy M, Manager at Gold Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Carole-

We are pleased that you have returned, and that you enjoyed your stay. The history and quaintness is one of the things that motivates us in our work. I'm not quite sure where you heard that we plan to vastly transform Gold Hill into something like Virginia City, but I assure you that staff, management and the owners of the Gold Hill Hotel hold a deep commitment to the authenticity in our presentation of the history of the Comstock, of which we are stewards. Gold Hill has it's own character, and we have no desire to change it to mimic Virginia City, or a theme park, or anywhere else.

Our owners have invested in our company and facility, and plan to continue in a significant way. Historic buildings require special care, and we hope to be up to the task.

We do appreciate your urging people to visit us soon (a fantastic suggestion, in our thoroughly biased opinion), yet we are much more optimistic that we can strike the right balance between economic development (something that our community is very much in need of) and authentic historic preservation. We believe strongly that these activities are not mutually exclusive.

You are welcome any time, and we hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards-

Mandy
Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were planning on only staying one night, but fell in love with the historic hotel within an hour of our stay. If you enjoy old historic places, you will love this place! When we first arrived, the lovely cleaning lady, Sara, was so sweet and showed us the rooms in the older part of the hotel, ie. Rosie's Room. I'm glad we stayed in room 12 because it was huge compared to the ones in the old part of the hotel. Our room had a balcony overlooking the front of the hotel and it was so nice to sit out there with a glass of wine and look out at the mountains. We stayed on a Thursday and Friday night, and were really surprised how quiet it was on a Friday night! Don't understand why, because it was great down in the bar, just imagining how things used to be back in the late 19th century. You have to drive into Virginia City, but the drive is not very far. The Gold Hill train station and tracks are directly behind the hotel, and were fun to check out. The breakfast was perfect. Coffee, toast, cereal - just the right amount to get you going for the day. All the staff members were lovely, but what a great employee they have in Sara. She cleans the hotel, helps with events and has 2 other jobs on top of that - and always has a smile on her face. Overall, a wonderful stay. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Stay in the newer part of the hotel as the rooms are much larger and still authentic looking. You will still be connected to the older part with the bar and restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Darcy D
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Gold Hill Hotel is another of the wonderful old historic hotels in the Virginia City NV area. In fact it is the oldest operating hotel in the state (since 1859). 1 mile southeast (I think) of Virginia City, Gold Hill is unlike its sister town in many ways. Gold Hill is a quieter less tourist-oriented semi-ghost town. It DOES have a few shops and bars, but basically it retains a more sedate atmosphere. This is a wonderful old hotel and I have stayed here several times over the years. Its main drawback for me is the fact that the only place to eat in town is the Gold Point Restaurant in the hotel. While the food is excellent, most of the time it's a little pricey for me limited budget and the short drive up Sugarloaf Hill is a bit too steep and winding for an "older duffer" like me to want to maneuver at night with a couple of the great saloon's Margaritas in me! They have a great deal, though with their Tuesday night lecture series. You get dinner and lecture plus 25% off of your room rate (a list of upcoming lectures is on the hotel's website). This is a fantastic deal and I have attended several over the years most recently, last month. Over the years I have only stayed in William's or Rosie's rooms. These are the hotel's resident ghosts, although I have never had a personal experience with them. These are small, wonderful rooms with the added advantage of having access to the hotel's second floor balcony overlooking the small town and 6-Mile Canyon. As I said the rooms are small but clean and I found them quite inviting. Although the rooms have no telephones or televisions (a decided plus in my opinion!) they DO have private baths (another plus in my opinion). Downstairs the Gold Hill Saloon is my second favorite bar in the area (the Washoe Club up the hill in Virginia City is my favorite) and the poached Pollock I had in the hotel's Crown Point Restaurant the other night was perfectly prepared. The hotel also has a nice bookstore with some interesting books on the history of Gold Hill, the Comstock Lode and the west. Likewise the hotel staff is first-rate. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who loves western history and wants to get away from the "conveniences" of the 21st Century living.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank westernbuff
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Don't expect modern amenities but it was a great place to stop on my motorcycle trip. Old fashion rooms, friendly staff, a great restaurant and bar downstairs to make friends. Bit off the main strip but easy enough to hope on the bike into town.

• Stayed: June 2013