“Great place, great value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comstock Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virginia City
Comstock Lodge
“Great place, great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

Our only complaint was the thinness of the walls. Not a place for honeymooners. :-)

Make sure you eat at the Cafe del Rio!

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank IdahoGal18

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Acampo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

Bob and Randi are the sweetest people. Very hospitable. The Lodge was so quaint, Very clean. Will diffentely come again. Thankx

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank sherrys_11
The Woodlands, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

The Comstock Lodge is a wonderful place to stay. The owners, Bob & Randi will definately put a smile on your face and give you that warm feeling long lost in todays society of gogogogogo. They will bend over backwards to help you out. We have stayed at the lodge several times throught the years and the rooms have always been neat and clean and well stocked with towels. The rooms are cute and the beds are comfortable! If you're looking for a 5 star resort complete with room service and a sterile environment, this is not the place for you. If yo are looking for a place that truly makes you feel at home inside and outside of the room then your best bet is to stay the The Comstock Lodge!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank threehook
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2008

Much different than I had expected.
I visited this establishement with my girlfriend for Valentines day and we were joyful from the moment we saw it.
As is seen in our provided photo (which hopefully will post), each room is separated by a step-patio and decorated very nicely.
The snow had been well cleared for parking and the management was nice enough to have started warming our room prior to arrival...although it still required about an hour of waiting after we arrived and turned up the heater.
As mentioned by a privious writer, the management left our key taped to the window due to stepping out for a Valentines dinner.
In contrast, though, she was prompt to call me about 4 hours prior and explain the situation.
I hardly found this to be an inconvenience.
For the price of 55 dollars, I thoroughly enjoyed this lodge and look forward to returning another day.

• Liked — The classic atmosphere.
  • Disliked — The poor insulation from the windows. ((old-school style))
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank csunnn
mendocino
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2007

We have always loved Virginia City but we had only been there in the summer and never spent the night. We found the Comstock Lodge on trip advisor and it sounded like just what we were looking for. We checked in on a nice winter day; sunny but chilly. The morning we were to leave, we woke up to at least a foot of snow! The owner was so helpful to us! She called restaurants to see if any of them were open to feed us. She found us the number to Amtrak to see if our train was on time and she even shoveled snow from in front of our wheels! It was an incredible experience! One that we thought was surely from a long-time ago period of people really caring about the welfare of their guests! We highly recommend the Comstock Lodge not only for the owners but for the cozy, warm, and unique rooms.

• Liked — Unique rooms, Great owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank salamone
Tacoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2007

Hi. This is the most recent visit. I have stayed here at the Comstock lodge each time I make my annual road trip (and sometimes 2ce a year) to Virginia City. I have stayed in several different rooms at this lodge, depending on whether I am just by myself or with friends or family. I feel like home here and Randi and Bob allow me to call them mom and dad when I first arrive through the office door, despite my age. I have always been comfortable and warm, and felt like home and family, as they are just as warm and friendly as that. I have stayed in summer, winter and spring and fall. The rooms are always clean, the coffee pot is always stocked, also with cocoa, which is what I prefer. The rooms all have some sort of antique furniture and give that old-timey feeling of living in such an historical town. Getting a reservation is just a phone call away, most of the time I am only half way there. I have them on speed dial. I live in northwestern WA. And if I get there too late, my key is taped to the office door waiting for me. Randi and Bob, and sometimes their family members, are always going out of their way to make my stay comfortable. The water pressure and temperature in the bathrooms are excellent. and invigorating. I would recommend these accommodations to anyone out there who wants a reasonably priced room to stay while you roam the "hills of home".

• Liked — It's away from the maddening crowd and yet close enough to it all.
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank mom-im-home
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

As others have already mentioned, this motel is rough on the outside, but the rooms are cute and very basic. This I expected. The problem I had with this motel was the fact that the owners apparently took a vacation during our stay. When we arrived, the office was closed. It took us a few moments to notice our key in an envelope on the door. A bit unusual, but not too bad. But then as time went on, we realised there was no one to replace the owners most of the time we were there. We had several problems and no one was there to help us, so my husband had to figure out how to get the heater working after spending our first night there (it was snowing!) freezing with only 1 blanket and no one to fix the heater (the thermostat was broken somehow and he had to open it up and manually set it from inside) or get us more blankets. We also had a problem with the toilet and the only one there to help was a boy of about 10 who didn't really know anything so once again we had to find the plunger (it was in another visitor's room) and fix it ourselves. Also, I asked for extra hot chocolate for my room later one night and was assured by the housekeeper that it would be put in there. When we came back late that evening it was not there, and the office was (as it mostly was) closed and no hot chocolate to warm up with. When we were ready to check out, once again the office was closed........... All in all, though the little we saw of the owner's family were nice, we felt they were totally lacking in customer care during our stay.

• Liked — room was cute and clean
  • Disliked — poor customer service-owners out of town and left very little in the way of replacements
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Edith Palmer's Country Inn
Edith Palmer's Country Inn
#3 of 3 in Virginia City
Sugarloaf Mountain Motel & Market

Been to Comstock Lodge? Share your experiences!