“Fun Trip, Back to Historic 1800s”

Virginia & Truckee Railroad
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Virginia City
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The V&T offers two options:From Virginia City: Seven (7) daily 35-minute narrated steam train tours taking visitors through the heart of the historic Comstock mining region to historic Gold Hill and return.From the Carson City area: A 6 hour adventure to and in Virginia City, including a round trip on the V&T behind diesel on Friday and steam on Saturday and Sunday. Approximately 90 minutes on the train and the remainder of the time in historic Virginia City.See our website for full details.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Part of visiting Virginia City, is the train and visiting the gold mines. Don't miss a drive through Gold Hill, just a mile or so South of Virginia City. Plan a full day in Virginia City to see it all. Better yet, stay at one of the historic 1800s hotels in Virginia City. I stayed at the haunted Silver Queen Hotel, (1875).

1  Thank Michael D

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Buy tickets at the Visitors Center and save a buck or so. The trip was interesting and informative, 35 minutes long.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This train was the reason for our visit to Carson City. Took the steam train on Sunday to Virginia City and back. Had 3 hours before return trip but there was so much to see that we drove back there on Monday. Bought our tickets on-line early to be sure to get the steam train.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Loved the ride and the information from the stationmaster. Beautiful scenery, saw wild horses, a big hit!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I took my teenage sons on the train from Carson City to Virginia City last week. I, myself, have always been interested in the "Queen of the Shortlines" as one of the most famous and prominent railroads in Americas history. My sons, who never really cared about history, and always had the attitude of "Why care about what happened 100 years ago?", were awed with the sights, sounds, and narrative on this trip. A complete attitude change in my 17 year old about what it was like for our fore-fathers and a deep feeling of respect for history came from this. The train winds around some of the most beautiful scenery anyone could imagine, a look into the past at the old mines and ore chutes which some are still standing, frozen in time. To see the wild mustangs in the hills and even a coyote watching the train go by gave them more than I ever imagined could happen. This day, on this train ride, was one of the most rewarding experiences I could ever have had with my sons. Would I recommend it? Absolutely! It was an experience that should never be missed by anyone, it is very resonable in price and is worth much more than the cost. The staff was excellent, friendly and fun and it was easy to see they enjoyed what they did. I was aware of the long, hard battle that it took to complete this historical gem from Carson City back to its home in Virginia City, and the results are fantastic.

2  Thank Don B