“History, Ghosts, Recently Restored, the Mizpah has it all!”
Review of Mizpah Hotel

Mizpah Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tonopah
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My Wife, Daughter (just turned 13) and I enjoyed a great night at the Mizpah hotel in Tonopah, NV. We arrived after a long day of searching out Ghost Towns (which my wife called the death march) we arrived just before Sunset at the Mizpah. It was built in the early 1900's and when built was the highest building in Nevada. Recently purchased and renovated, the hotel has to be the finest hotel between Reno and Las Vegas. I loved the old feel of the building, but everything that needed to work functioned well.

Several rooms have some history and that history was celebrated in small plaques outside the room. Ours belonged to a boxing promoter, my favorite was the room on the 5th floor where "The Lady in Red" was murdered by a jealous lover/client (yes, she was a professional). My wife and I played up all the stories to our 13 YO, who heard creeks, said lights turned off and on on their own, and became friends with the ghost in our room. I do have to admit that our dog (yes, the hotel is very dog friendly to the point of supplying Doggie goodie bags at check in) woke me up in the middle of the night whimpering and acting like she had just seen a ghost, but that is for another trip I guess.

We ate dinner there, food was good, and since the current owners are from Napa there was a good selection of their wine. The beer was cold, what's not to like?

Only issue we had was our room was right next to the Hotel Sign. For a moment I felt like Kramer in the Seinfeld episode where the chicken place moved in next door, but the curtains blocked enough light so I could sleep and my wife wore her mask so she was fine. Just saying you may want to check that if you end up on the 2nd floor.

Service was good, great bar, beautiful hotel, I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Front side might have too much light, at least on the 2nd floor. Front also faces US 95, the main...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Mizpah Hotel

Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stayed one night at the hotel while traveling from Bryce Canyon to Yosemite. First impression was a very beautiful hotel obviously having a long history. Our plan was to have a romantic dinner at the restaurant and we hurried up to get dressed. Unfortunately, the restaurant was closed and apparently it's only open on special occasions (though I don't recall this being listed on the web site). We ended up being seated in the cafe - definitely overdressed and subject to a rather modest service while having our dinner. The waitresses were polite but simply lacked the training and knowledge that you'd expect from working at such a nice hotel. It felt like being part of a comedy show. In the morning we checked for alternative breakfast options to avoid same experiences as the evening before but Tonopah is quite limited and we went back and actually a nice breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter Z
Reviewed August 9, 2014

What a wonderful time we had. Of all the old hotels I've stayed at, this was by far the best! So much history in the town and the hotel. The current owners did a fantastic job at restoring this hotel to its current beautiful condition. Definitely took me back in time and made me feel like one of the the wealthy guests that once stayed there.
Upon check-in, we met Jennipher. What a great employee they have! She was very friendly and helpful! Then at checkout, we met Brianna. Another great employee! I hope they know what an asset they have in these two great ladies.
We stayed on the fourth floor, in room 401. This room had a queen and king bed. Very, very comfortable. From the bed down to the bedding. It had a nice updated bathroom with an old clawfoot tub. Room also had a small 'bar' area in it.
Hotel has a cafe located in it, The Pittman Cafe. Food is delicious! After a great dinner we then had a couple of drinks at the bar area. Friendly staff can also be found here too.
OVERALL STAY - AWESOME!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any room. For ghost hunters, I heard the 5th floor has lots of activity.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2014

This is the second trip that my fiancee and myself have spent at the Mizpah. We have both decided that every time we visit Vegas that we have to take a trip up to Tonopah to stay at the Mizpah. The ride north from Vegas is beautiful with scenery and also the towns that you travel through.

Our stay in The Lady in Red Room was on July 2nd. I booked the room back in February just to make sure that we were able to stay in this room. This room is absolutely gorgeous and the entire hotel transfers you back into the early 1900s. The staff has been amazing at this stay and the food at the Pittman Cafe is excellent so be sure to eat there no matter if it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I recommend that when you call for reservations to see if this room is available. It was an awesome experience even though we didn't have any ghostly encounters.

Thanks again Mizpah and Tonopah for another great experience. We will be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jimmy S
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I was super, super excited for our one night at the Mizpah on our recent road trip. Its history and reputation was familiar to me, and my husband was a bit skeptical because he thinks I'm silly about being intrigued by supernatural things. But once we arrived, he was pleasantly surprised. The history of the building is incredibly and I love that they honor and maintain it still. We were in a king room on the top floor. I loved that our room was "named" for someone historic involved with the hotel. The room was small, but I think that was part of the charm and historic quality. The bathroom was a good size, however. We explored our floor a bit, stopping by the Lady in Red's room. We had dinner downstairs in the Pitmann Cafe, and it was a good meal. Sadly, no ghost experiences for us while we were there, but I loved our stay.

Room Tip: A stay on the fourth or fifth floors insures a good view of the town and also the opportunity to be...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We have dined at the Mizpah many times over the years, in their Pittman Cafe, but this was our first overnight stay. Our experience, from first to last, was excellent. I made our reservations online, and made some specific requests, so was delighted to have responses back on each request the same day. One request was out of the ordinary, and while they said they had no direct contact with the party I was trying to meet, they did respond within three days with an email address do I could make the contact.

The rooms are well kept, the beds are extraordinarily comfortable, the A/C is both quiet and very good at keeping our room comfortable in every way. We had both a king size room and a two doubles room, and they were both excellent. The staff is terrific - the desk clerk greeted me and said, "Oh, you wanted a non-haunted room for your granddaughters" as the reservation clerk had noted in the system our email exchange about ghosts!

Our only less than excellent experience was the Pittman Cafe. The food is always good, and the service, while always friendly, has always been slow. In fact, we have always laughed about it, but we always return.

We first stopped for lunch in 1977, after it had been refurbished by Frank Scott of Las Vegas, an acquaintance of our family, and then most recently after the Cline family has purchased it and reopened it. They have done a wonderful job, and we recommend a stay here highly! Enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Skitch45
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Although there are many sightings of the resident ghosts, I did not get to have any direct encounters, just a few bumps in the night that could have been just old building noises. The hotel is beautiful, clean, comfortable and historically delightful. The restaurant was a lovely experience as well. Try the Nevada Salad, it's a full meal. The staff were as accommodating as could be. I was there for only one night on business and will remember this gem when going through the area again.

Room Tip: For the children ghosts, request the third floor. For the miner men ghosts, request the fourth floo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business