Mizpah Hotel
$122
BestWestern.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmining townold westclaw foot tubpittman caferestored hotelantique furnishingscoffee servicefifth floormodern amenitiesjack dempseyhotel restaurantlobby barresident ghostlake tahoequeen roomshower curtainrooms are small
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The hotel has been restored to current day standards but maintains the charm of a historical location. Topnopah is like going back in history and the hotel significantly adds to the charm. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The junior suite was large with a very comfortable bed. I was disappointed that the Dempsey dining room was only open for special occasions. The coffee shop offered very good meals, however the kitchen was very slow completing the orders. The bar and lounge area is large and has a great victorian feel. This lis by far the nicest place to stay and dine in town.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lillyb11
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear LillyB11,
Thank you for your comments and I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and visit with us the next time you are through Tonopah.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Tonopah is now more than just a stopover on the highway between Las Vegas and Reno. The interesting history of this "wild west" mining town in the high desert has been lovingly created in rich detail in this restored historical hotel. When the hotel was first built many years ago it was the gem of Tonopah; it now is again. Although the rooms are generally small, everything seems historically accurate and yet the hotel is completely modern in terms of its amenities. Friendly staff. The restaurant food is good, not gourmet. What a treat!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SierraWanderer2013

Dear Sierra Wanderer,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are very proud of our renovation and I am so glad they you enjoyed the hotel. Come back and visit with us again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

That wondrful old feeling of luxury and olden days extravagance was the immediate feeling we got. the owners have done an excellent job of keeping what is the best of the old glamour of the hotel while updating it subtly to our modern conveniences. Our bed was cozily covered in a down comforter with enough pillows for an army. There is no coffee in the room, but just down the ornately decorated hall is a well appointed table with a coffee service and REAL cups. We appreciated also the owners' mindfulness of the environment in their approach. The restaurant was a little pricey, but the food was tasty and we had one grumpy waitress, but the staff at the front desk were
cheery and made us feel welcome. Would stay tgere again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melody_L938
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed at the Mizpah hotel on Valentine's Day. We luckily had made a reservation ahead of time so we were able to get our two rooms. The rooms are definitely older which is to be expected as this is more of a period hotel. My room had a queen size bed and a claw foot tub. I used the shower in the tub, and it was fine but care should be taken getting in and out as it is taller than a normal tub. The bed was great, and I slept really well. Who would have thought that a hotel in Tonopah would be so packed...it was crazy. We went to the bar and shared a bottle of wine which was quite good. I was also surprised to find that the bar stocked both high-end single malt scotch and tequila. There was a special dinner going on in a second restaurant, but we could not get in. We ate in the regular restaurant. The food was very good but they were understaffed so it took a little longer than expected. Not a big deal as the hotel is probably experiencing some growing pains. As I said, who would have expected so many folks at a hotel in Tonopah. I plan on visiting again with my husband so he can see it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night February 19. The front desk people were friendly and efficient and we had a very nice room, but the dining room experience turned out to be horrible. Despite there being few people in the restaurant for dinner at 6 PM we waited nearly an hour and a half for our dinner to be served and finally gave up. The server apologized--apparently they lost our order and then they found it and put a "rush" on it, but after another half hour we told them we wanted to just pay for our drinks and appetizer. We purposely wanted an early dinner to be able to go to our room and watch the Olympics and this was very disappointing to say the least. My sister told us if we eat here to order something simple (and we did--chicken fried steak). I would go a step further and recommend skipping the food here--there is good Chinese and Mexican fare to be had down the road from here!! We also had a Burger King breakfast in the morning as we were anxious to get on the road.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard F
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Richard F,
Please allow me to apologize for the poor service you described on your recent visit. What you've described is completely out of character for the service that we normally provide. I've sent you a private note and hope to hear from you. On the other hand I am glad that you enjoyed the room and service provided at the front desk.
Again, our apologies