“Gold and Ghosts”
Review of Mizpah Hotel

Mizpah Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Tonopah
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Just renovated: 2011-2012. .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Bruce J, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Good morning,

Silver and Gold is how Tonopah Nevada flourished and I hope you were able to discover both gold and ghosts.

Thank you for being our guests.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at the Mizpah for one night and were blown away. The owners and community have done an impecable job at restoring this amazing piece of history. From the minute we walked in the door, we felt like we had stepped back in time. The attention to detail was incredible. The wallpaper, furniture, molding, fixtures, elevator, and cafeful attention to Mizpah branding was perfect. Having been to many restored hotels in mining towns, this is my new favorite.

The rooms were incredibly clean and charming. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have been in in a long time....I wish it were my bedroom at home! We were on the fifth floor and found it be very quiet and cozy ..... The Lady in Red may have been preoccupied that evening :)

The wi-fi was also a great help except we kept having to keep logging back in pretty frequently.

The coffee in the morning was a wonderful touch and the Pittman Cafe's wine and food were great. We were hearing about how great the cafe was all the way from Goldfield and weren't disappointed. The service was excellent and the staff were great.

I couldn't say enough great things about this place. While we wish the town had more to do, we LOVED the mining park and one could easily spend hours there. The woman who worked that day was wonderfully friendly.

We can't wait to go back for stargazing...thank you for all of the hard work that went into the restoration. Thanks for making my boyfriend's 40th birthday such a memorable one!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Good morning,

I can't thank you enough for being our guests and sharing such an amazing experience here at the Mizpah Hotel.

All of us at the Mizpah look forward to your return visit.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

It was such a pleasure to stay in a historic building that has been beautifully restored without being too far over the top "thematic" (we didnt feel like we were staying at disney). Simply lovely. The staff is friendly and the Nevada steak Caesar salad we had for dinner was delicious. We highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bruce J, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Good afternoon,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guests and we certainly appreciate your Mizpah Hotel recommendation. Our staff will be pleased to read as I am that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

A lovingly restored historical inn - quite a find in this ramshackle town in the middle of nowhere. The wifi was great, the beds were comfy, with lovely linens and the water pressure was great in the shower. The furnishings have character. The only problem was the noise. From our first floor room we could hear the music from the bar all night. It was Frank Sinatra-ish music, so it didn't keep us awake, but if you are a light sleeper you might want to make sure you get a higher room.

Eat in the restaurant. It's delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Good evening,

Thank you for being our guests. We are grateful that you traveled from afar and overall had a great stay at the Historic Mizpah Hotel. Although Sinatra is typically soothing, it's a disappointment the music was too loud. Our intentions are to make each and every guest as comfortable as possible. Please accept our apologies and consider the Mizpah on your next journey to Tonopah Nevada.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I took a day trip from Las Vegas to Tonopah to go turquoise hunting. We stopped at the Mizpah Hotel to meet the others that would be going to the Royston mine. While we were waiting we had breakfast at the hotel. The food and service were great. The price was reasonable. This hotel was built in around 1906 and first opened in 1907. The interior is beautiful considering when and where it was built. We left and did our turquoise hunting and then returned to the hotel where one of the staff of the Otteson family that own the mine polished some stones for us. Then we ordered a couple of pieces of jewelry up stairs in the main hotel lobby. Everyone we talked to that stayed at the hotel really liked it. Overall, the staff was very friendly, the quality of the food was great, and the prices reasonable. If you plan a trip to or through Tonopah, the Mizpah Hotel is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Bruce J, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Good afternoon,

I am so glad you took advantage of experiencing the Mizpah Hotel but also your decision to explore the Otteson Turquoise Mine. Our staff always hope our guests have a remarkable stay and it reads like you did. Thank you! Enjoy your new jewelry and thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Recently restored, built in 1907. Quaint but classy. Restoration is remarkable. Furnishings are well done, keeping with historic charm, but everything is fresh and clean. Lacking room fridges, microwaves and coffee pots, but that's a small price to pay for plush, historic surroundings. Coffee urns are delivered to common areas of each floor around 6-7 am. If you aren't an early riser, this works fine.

I've stayed here several times since latest restoration, and the MIzpah is always my first choice when staying in Tonopah.

My biggest complaint with the place is the restaurant. Menu is varied, but all the preparations seem the same. Chef seems to think he can cover flaws in food quality or preparation by adding more garlic to everything!! Service is friendly, but on several occasions now I've had no opportunity for a refill of water or wine glass. Restaurant is clean, though, and furnishings are historic.

Room Tip: Ask about room choices when making reservation or checking in. There are options, but you can't...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Good afternoon,

I want to personally thank you for your Mizpah Hotel loyalty. You and your description of the Historic Mizpah Hotel is much appreciated and I will certainly share your restaurant concerns with our Chef.

Thank you again for your feedback as we look forward to welcoming you in the near future!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I spend most of my free time exploring the great state of Nevada. I especially love the small towns in the middle of nowhere which usually doesn't offer many hotel choices! I am a member of Best Westerns reward club & always have stayed there on my many visits to Tonopah & had enough points for a free room there but it was my birthday & I wanted to check The Mizpah out. I am so glad I did! I loved everything about it. I especially loved the decor throughout the entire building! Ate every meal in the Pittman cafe & everything was delicious! The Jacuzzi Family Merlot wine was the best ever & I need to find some to buy as gifts! The lobby bar was great for a few after dinner cocktails & good conversation with strangers who soon felt like old friends! The bartenders were awesome! Every single employee I encountered was very warm, pleasant, helpful & genuinely appeared to love their job & the hotel they represented! If you're traveling to Tonopah this place is a must, at least once! They also have a discount for Triple A members which I didn't know when making my on line reservation. If I had to change one thing about the place it would be to have mini fridges in the rooms just to stock the water you need to drink in the desert! I brought a cooler & after my experience there, I cared less about wanting a fridge! I also now think a mini fridge in every room could be a potential fire hazard & would not want that in this beautiful historic hotel! I stayed 2 nights with my husband, went turquoise mining (I will review that too), met new people, ate great food, drank good wine & explored Tonopah for the umpteen time....I had a great birthhday weekend & will definitely go back to the Mizpah! Thanks to the Cline family for bringing this place back to life & thanks to all the employees that make this a great place to stay, eat & visit!

• Stayed: August 2012
Bruce J, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Good afternoon,

We are honored that as members of our neighbor's reward club you chose the Mizpah Hotel and loved it. As our guests, it reads like you made some new friends and are now friends of the Mizpah and Tonopah. I am exceedingly glad our staff contributed in making your birthday a memorable one.

Happy Healthy Belated Birthday!